Code of Conduct

Default new fragrance choice help

hey i was looking to buy a new fragrance somewhat blindly, i am 18 y/o
    my choices are:
    midnight in paris (i already have armani code so this may not be appealing)
    Lolita Lempicka au masculin
    Citrus & wood by Yardley
    Love & Luck by ed hardy
    HM by Hanae Mori

any of these you guys would recommend more than the other? maybe the pros and cons of each?
    im looking for more of a versatile fragrance
    Last edited by sunny5011; 17th January 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: new fragrance choice help

Blind buying is always risky, try to stop at a store (Sephora or the like) and smell them first.
    I like the Lempicka au masculin - the main note is licorice, so if you don't like that smell, this is not for you.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with my friend, cacio. Take the time to test and smell scents on your skin (not strips of paper) before purchasing if you can.

However, for the price...HM by Hanae Mori is a fantastic scent. My one concern is that you are 18 and it may "wear" you. However, it can be a fun scent - lemons, vanilla, florals (including a rose note) and a creamy base of sandalwood. Some sweetness, but not gourmand. Please refer to my review on it...which I just transferred from another site to here on Basenotes. It is the most 'mature' of the scents.

Yardley's scent is a wonderful, very natural composition. It smells, literally, of fresh cut wood (even some sawdust on it) with great citrus (mainly lime and bergamot) juice poured onto it. When I was 18, I admired compositions that offered uniqueness and natural ingredients, as it was a different time - not the synthetic world in which we live in today. But, as nice and well-crafted as it is...again, will it present the smell that you want to be associated with?

Good luck,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

thanks a lot for the suggestion and i guess ill take HM out because i already have Rive Gauche and that fits the mature category in my wardrobe, i heard the yardley is very similar to terre dhermes, is this true?

Midnight in Paris would be my choice.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 18th January 2013 at 04:29 AM.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sunny5011 -

Well, don't take out HM because you have Rive Gauche. Try to test it first. It may grab you. Rive Gauche is an Aromatic Fougere made in the classic style by YSL. A great scent - with anise. It may be that you want to disclude Lolita Lempicka au Masculin because of this ironically (if you don't want to smell like licorice/anise all the time - although the scents present the note very differently), but HM has lots of bright lemons, florals and vanilla. It can be whimsical and some people say unisex, but I don't. It is not "mature" - like (over 35)...I meant it has a depth of notes to it. Nothing close to Rive Gauche, any way.

Yardley's Wood & Citrus is associated with Terre d'Hermes and one can always associate/compare scents. To me, they are rather different, (but I prefer to judge scents independently and not draw similarities). Terre d'Hermes is spiked with Iso E Super...a molecule that Ellena (the perfumer) uses in a lot of his creations. Nutshell description - ""Smooth, woody, amber with unique aspects giving a ''velvet'' like sensation. Used to impart fullness and subtle strength to fragrances. Superb floralizer found in the majority of newer fine fragrances and also useful in soaps." Yardley's composition does not have it and it wears very naturally.

Terre d'Hermes costs a lot more as well and the house has a wonderful history of scent. Yardley is a soap/lotion company that also made some perfumes. I looked it up - it has been around since 1770 in London! This scent caught so many people off-guard when it came out. I jumped on a bottle when I found it - and glad I did. Only a couple of full wearings, but it is of very good quality.

So, if you want to get a scent for school/day/casual wear that is not too expensive - maybe look into a great line of high quality bottles from Gandini. You've probably never heard of them. Neither had I until I came upon a line of superb quality (called, "1896" - the year the house was founded) scents. Although they are classified as "Eau de Colognes", I get very good longevity out of them and they wear incredibly well. Each is truly a 'full' composition with top/heart/base notes and of niche quality ingredients.

In the citrus realm, they have Lime & Basil (which is green and sharp) and also Grapefruit & Citrus (vibrant, crisp). In the fall/winter (colder) months - two bottles that wear exceptionally well are Pomegranate & Incense (juicy on top with smoky wood base) and Teak Wood (which has a base of rich, exotic wood, tropical notes on top and spices with violet). Orange Blossom & Leaves is also exceptional (nice vetiver and cedar in the base).

I bring this line up because I see that your 4 listed bottles are, and please take no offense, all over the place. You're new to this passion so that is totally understandable. First, answer this question - are you getting this next bottle of scent to please you or someone else? Most likely, whatever you answered first is the truth. What is nice about the Gandini scents is that they really wear wonderfully and you can even layer some of them. I love wearing the Pom & Incense with the Teak Wood (light application) - it smells wonderful. One doesn't need to - it's a want thing.

Look - I am not a seller nor do I represent any perfume house or company. I am just a fragrance lover. But, to me these scents speak to people in the 18-30 range who want to smell great, care about quality ingredients and (here's the fun part) - all the scents are unisex. So, you could share what you are wearing with girls (even if they are just friends - it becomes a social thing). Also, the Gandini bottles are available for under $30/100ml at Parfum1.com and if you order something from them (doesn't have to be a Gandini bottle) just ask for samples and tell them you heard about the line of scents from someone on Basenotes. They will throw in samples of what they have.

That is my advice...if I made your decision even more difficult, I apologize, but maybe someone else will read this and check out the line. It happened in another thread over the summer. I got a nice letter of appreciation. They are not reviewed on this site - but you will find them on www.fragrantica.com - including my reviews there. I've been meaning to to paste them over here for some time...

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

wow that was an amazing response, thank you ericrico, ill surely check out the Gandini line and do some testing around, the choices i had put out were because they are relatively cheap to buy in Canada and seem to get good great reviews here on bn
    Last edited by sunny5011; 17th January 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Love and Luck is pretty nice. I would send you a sample of HM if you were in the US. Might be too much of a hassle to send to Canada. But HM is not very masculine. I prefer quite a few other fragrances (MJ Legend, Rochas Man) over HM though.

These are the only two I have had experience with. But I do plan to get Midnight in Paris soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Three words....

Don't Buy Blindly

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Ericrico really did give a great response.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

HM and LLaM are both fun to wear.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the smell of hm and have two edt and 2 edp but I rarely pick it up, for 18 I suggest love n luck

Post Thanks / Like

Another for Au Masculin.

Hey sunny! I see that you're in Canada? PM me your address, I'll send you samples of Hanae Mori and Midnight in Paris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hey sunny! I see that you're in Canada? PM me your address, I'll send you samples of Hanae Mori and Midnight in Paris.
    Once you sample Midnight in Paris you will fall in love with it. Great fragrance.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Au Masculin

Love and Luck is the safest blind buy on that list. Of Yardley smells similar to TdH, then it's a semi-safe blind buy as well. Contemplating that last one as well.

Love and Luck really screams out 'young adult!'...HM is awesome, but I think it is more mature.