Code of Conduct

Default Liz Zorn's SOIVOHLE Fragrance Testing

I just got 5 samples from Liz Zorn's SOIVOHLE line, with a 6th on the way from a fellow bn'er. They are:

Transcendental Musc Absolute Pour Homme
    Underworld Absolute (a freebie, thanks!)
    Riverside Road Absolute Pour Homme
    Green Oakmoss Demi Absolute
    Violets and Rainwater Demi Absolute
    Alpha Musc EDT, on the way

So far I've tested the first two.

Underworld... what a great name, I guessed it would have some roots in it. from the name. It starts off as a very rich, earthy and sweet scent. Without looking at notes, my guesses on the main accords were vetiver, patchouli, ginger, licorice and a bit of spice I couldn't put my finger on. This is an all natural perfume that is very well done, it has a modern feel to it from the rich sweetness, but the underlying vetiver and patchouli (so I thought) are obviously high quality all natural oils. Her are the notes from her website:

UNDERWORLD - natural
    an unusual pairing of vetivers from around the world, rich spice notes of cinnamon, ginger lily and clove, a touch of jasmine, roasted coffee, cocoa, rose leather and balsams, set into a light vanilla oud tincture, sensual and a bit haunting

Later in the drydown the sweetness burns off and I am left with a deep, dark, earthy and spicy scent that lingers at a much lower volume than when first applied. Other all natural perfumes I've sampled do this, a good solution is to apply a more concentrated amount. Since it is an absolute you won't need to use much though, probably more than a pure parfum with modern synthetic components, but not so much that you aren't getting a good value for your money.

Transcendental Musc: Clean, fresh citrusy musk with modern "green" and "ozone" accords. The musk has more character than your typical laundry musk, it's a little funky but maintains a fresh clean vibe. Citrus is a very high quality orange with orange blossom and lime. It's only very slightly floral, not very sweet, and comes off as a modern "sport" frag, except one that actually smells good, unlike a huge majority of designer frags. This frag just tramples stuff like Allure Homme Sport, it is a similar frag in some ways but TM is leagues better. It is the first frag of it's type that I would consider buying, I'll have to finish up the sample but 1st impressions are extremely positive... maybe this spring...

TRANSCENDENTAL MUSC - A clean transparent musc, surrounded by a kaleidescope of orange hues.
    Opening Notes: Sweet Orange Oil, Key Lime, Basil, Cantaloupe, Cut Grass, Coriander, Helvetolide
    Heart Notes: Basil Absolute, Petitgrain, Saigon Cinnamon, Allspice Berry, Ozone, Champaca Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Orange Flower Accord, Orange Flower Water Absolute, Genet Absolute, Jasmine Accord, jasmine Absolute,
    Base Notes: Velvione, Ambrettolide, Sandalwood Oil, Amyris Oil, Haitian Vetiver, Labdanum Absolute, Green Moss Accord, Clean Musk Accord, Coumarin/Tonka Accord,Sandalwood Accord

Fragrance Type: Clean/Floral/Musc
    Note: the floral accord is not sweet, or flowery in the traditionsl sense

I would be interested to hear other BN'ers experiences with these frags...

Default Re: Liz Zorn's SOIVOHLE Fragrance Testing

I have been a big fan of Liz Zorn's fragrances. They are a little pricey, but they are very unusual and incredibly good. I think her creations are perhaps the best of the many very small artisanal fragrance artists around. Her quality level is on the same level as Andy Tauer but she is just less well known. I have two on your list: Underword and Green Oakmoss. They are both very good, Green Oakmoss is my favorite of those you are sampling - but I really like woods scents and it is a good one. I am curious to hear what you think of Green Oakmoss and also Violets and Rainwater (my sample is on its way). I also have an order in for more to try from her gallery of scents.

Some other Liz Zorn discoveries I have found from her line that I highly recommend are:

Meerchaum - a deep green pipe tobacco and leather scent that is astounding in its richness.
    Tobacco and Tuille - A very rich tobacco and rose blend that is unlike any other scent I've tried.
    Journeyman - another leather scent that is a little milder and more traditional in tone for a well worn leather but is very easy to wear.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

in before PaulC!!!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I really want to try Vanillaville and Meerschaum.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I've tried quite a few of these but it has been awhile. Vanillaville was my favorite due to its dirty vanilla with tobacco combination. The vanilla is not sweet or overpowering. I like it better than Tom Ford -Tobacco Vanille.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I've tried quite a few of these but it has been awhile. Vanillaville was my favorite due to its dirty vanilla with tobacco combination. The vanilla is not sweet or overpowering. I like it better than Tom Ford -Tobacco Vanille.
    Nice! I just got a bottle of TV for Christmas which I'm really enjoying. If you think Vanillaville tops it, I'd love to try it.

After sampling most of Soivohles line, the ones I bought full bottles of are:

Underworld - Outstanding Vetiver - Only vetiver I like better is Turtle Vetiver
    Oud Lacquer - This is a five star scent - must own for me.
    Tobacco & Tuille - my favorite Tobacco for sure

Liz Zorn manages to accomplish something very rare in natural perfumery. She gets longevity out of her scents. I believe it's her potent unique tinctures that really adds to the longevity of her scents. Affordable prices in small quantities - perfect for some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    After sampling most of Soivohles line, the ones I bought full bottles of are:

Underworld - Outstanding Vetiver - Only vetiver I like better is Turtle Vetiver
    Oud Lacquer - This is a five star scent - must own for me.
    Tobacco & Tuille - my favorite Tobacco for sure

Liz Zorn manages to accomplish something very rare in natural perfumery. She gets longevity out of her scents. I believe it's her potent unique tinctures that really adds to the longevity of her scents. Affordable prices in small quantities - perfect for some variety.
    Do you still have your samples?

Do you still have your samples?
    No, used them up,wanted more, and bought bottles

I just recently bought 11 ml of Rivertown Road. It's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    in before PaulC!!!
    I do talk about Liz Zorn at just about every opportunity.

- - - Updated - - -

Vanillaville is rather great. I have three bottle sof Liz's work: Rivertown Road, Green Oakmoss, and Vanillaville. To me Vanillaville is three things in equal parts- leather, tobacco, and vanilla. It's amazing really.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of it and Liz's Meerschaum too.
    Current Favorite Fragrances:

1. Rivertown Road Pour Homme, by Liz Zorn
    2. Green Oakmoss by Liz Zorn
    3. Winter Woods, by Sonoma Scent Studio
    4. Parfum De Maroc by Mandy Aftel
    5. Geranium Pour Monsieur by Dominique Ropion
    6. What We Do In Paris Is Secret by Dominique Ropion
    7. Vanillaville by Liz Zorn