Code of Conduct

Thread: Hugo Boss

Default Hugo Boss

Hello Basenotes community. As my first post, I am curious: how respected is Hugo Boss as a fragrance house? Also, compared to the best fragrances in your collections, how do you rank their Boss Number One, Elements, Hugo Boss Bottled, and Boss in Motion fragrances? I have read the reviews for these, but I would like to know, how do these fragrances compare to the best in your collection?

Thank you.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hugo Boss

Boss Bottled is a good up to date frag , but Boss #1 is an older frag and in my opinion still wearable, especially in the evening. I have not tried any of the other Hugo Boss fragrances.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSNO View Post
    I have read the reviews for these, but I would like to know, how do these fragrances compare to the best in your collection?

Thank you.
    Very low.

How do they compare to the best in my collection? Not well.

In general, the best way I can describe Boss frags in one word: "meh." Clearly, other people feel differently, but I've yet to find one of their scents that has impressed me at any stage.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

I haven't yet smelled a Boss fragrance that I have liked. It seems to me that they have all been designed by a committee to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Most fragrances marketed towards men are, in my opinion, boring; Boss fragrances amongst the most boring of all.

Boss Bottled is a great fragrance.
    Hugo Man is a great fragrance.
    Energise is a fragance that I enjoy but longevity is terrible. It's a brilliant casual / hanging with friends fragrance.

Very Low . Only bright spots are Bottled, and No1 .... everything else not worth talking about.

Never been into Hugo Boss. Funnily enough I smelled Boss Bottled for the first time yesterday. If I'd bought it ten years ago I'd probably consider it a great, wearable fragrance. However as I already own dozens of great wearable fragrances, and there's nothing particularly outstanding about the notes in it I would not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSNO View Post
    ... how do you rank their Boss Number One, Elements, Hugo Boss Bottled, and Boss in Motion fragrances? ....
    Welcome !

I have not sampled Elements, but it sounds pretty decent. The rest of the 3 smell good to me and I think for the most part they suceed in satisfying the wearere. Boss in Motion may be targetted for a more younger demographic, but that does not mean it is a poor fragrance. It is just all about what you want to use the fragrance for ( situation wise).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Generally, hardly ever seen as outstanding, yet this house has some solid achievements, like No. 1, Elements, Elements Aqua and Bottled.

I have boss bottled number 6 its a nice frag. I had boss element it's citricy and doesn't last very long.

Not very well around here. But in my humble opinion, they do what they do very well. That is, safe, easy to wear, good office scents. There's nothing wrong with that. We all need those.

I haven't been around here long and if you see my first post it was pretty much the same as all I knew was Hugo Boss. Now that my nostrils have been exposed to a greater palette of scents my sensibility has sky rocketed.

So much so that I don't really enjoy the smell of my old favourites like I used to as they smell 2 dimensional in comparison to my latest acquisitions.

Word of advice: Buy small bottles. Always, no matter how much you like something you will evolve onwards and upwards.

Word of advice: Buy small bottles. Always, no matter how much you like something you will evolve onwards and upwards.
    I still love the very first fragrances I ever started wearing regularly. As a matter of fact a large part of why I started to collect was to find things as good and it's still a tough chore. Not to say that I think this is bad advice. When it's practical (that is when it is available and represents an appreciatble saving) I go for the smallest available bottle down to one ounce. Even so I prefer to think of my tastes as having expanded. I like everything I ever have, and more.

However any way you would have it another point which is just as important to consider is that the tastes of most people who will be smelling you over the course of the day are not expanding with yours. No matter how open-minded you become if the thought of smelling good to others appeals to you it will always be worth having fragrances of the Boss Bottled variety.

CologneFan85

Boss Orange is very good. The opening is a zesty orange peel, then dries down to a smooth creamy Vanilla. Almost smells like a Orange creamsicle ice-cream. Very good IMO.

I really enjoy Boss Bottled. Haven't tried any of the others.

Hugo in my opinion is a well reputed and rated designer . Few of my favorite fragrances by Hugo are :-

1. Baldessarini by Hugo Boss ( an amazing elegant scent).
    2. Hugo Boss XY ( clean , refreshing green scent )
    3. Hugo boss Energise ( very fruity scent , contents are strawberries or melons , not really sure about it though , i use it as an aftershave )
    4. Hugo Dark blue

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    In general, the best way I can describe Boss frags in one word: "meh." Clearly, other people feel differently, but I've yet to find one of their scents that has impressed me at any stage.
    This.

The Hugo Boss line in general isn't highly sought after. However, Boss Bottled is well liked.
    Boss in Motion isn't too bad either, but definitely not worth a buy.