Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Wood & Absinth by Mark Buxton - too soft, but I love the notes - recommendations?

Have a sample of this, tried it last night, had some very positive comments from men and women, and I really like the notes, but as one reviewer put it - its just too soft. What is close to this but turned up quite a few notches? I suppose I could just drench myself in it, but its not cheap!

Cheers!
    ...a much requested sample of the evening by a group of over excited perfume lovers who likened it to a 'sexy dungeon with a steak house on the top'. Was I one of that group? Well, yes, and it was my first Perfume Lovers Meetup. What a start.

Default Re: Wood & Absinth by Mark Buxton - too soft, but I love the notes - recommendations?

Perhaps Absolument Absinthe

Default Re: Wood &amp; Absinth by Mark Buxton - too soft, but I love the notes - recommendations?

Haven't smelled the Buxton, but going off absinthe and wood, surely Amouage Memoir Man is worth a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't smelled the Buxton, but going off absinthe and wood, surely Amouage Memoir Man is worth a try.

Default Re: Wood & Absinth by Mark Buxton - too soft, but I love the notes - recommendations?

My reading of Buxton's Wood & Absynth is that it is an average woody-citrus enriched with boatloads of synthetics and some anise. If you're looking for something really better and way much cheaper, try to give a chance to Cacharel Pour Homme.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

How it got onto my list I don't know, perhaps from reviews, but I did get to try He Wood Silver Wind Wood (2011) Dsquared2 - and while I find it interesting. Actually quite interesting ,its not what quite I was looking for - not enough wood or absinth. Does have a nice thing to it I can't quite name though. oh well Orgers on my list to try are going to be harder to find.
    ...a much requested sample of the evening by a group of over excited perfume lovers who likened it to a 'sexy dungeon with a steak house on the top'. Was I one of that group? Well, yes, and it was my first Perfume Lovers Meetup. What a start.

Wood and AbsInth isn't the best of that range of 6 by MB -- I too thought it was bit undercooked.

Anice by Etro is a viable alternative.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Wood and AbsInth isn't the best of that range of 6 by MB -- I too thought it was bit undercooked.

Anice by Etro is a viable alternative.
    I've tried them all and its the only one that does well on my skin, I am one of those who can't wear just anything, some fragrances just vanish on me or don't smell right. I'm lloking for something woody and boozy - but exotically boozy

I'll have a peek for Anice

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaPsy View Post
    I've tried them all and its the only one that does well on my skin, I am one of those who can't wear just anything, some fragrances just vanish on me or don't smell right. I'm lloking for something woody and boozy - but exotically boozy

I'll have a peek for Anice
    Anice isn't boozy -- I was suggesting an alternative to absinth via aniseed. Maybe try the 'Frapin' range -- all have elements of booze, especially '1270'.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Anice isn't boozy -- I was suggesting an alternative to absinth via aniseed. Maybe try the 'Frapin' range -- all have elements of booze, especially '1270'.
    I've put 1270 and 1697 on my to test list, thanks Kaern!

Nasomatto Absinthe perhaps?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Wood &amp; Absinth by Mark Buxton - too soft, but I love the notes - recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Nasomatto Absinthe perhaps?
    Sounds intriguing, I wonder if I had a sniff of it, certainly no sample on my skin, but I was at a meetup where I ended up buying blacka afgano, which I have not worn yet, was keeping as I fear it will go out of production I'll put it on my list to try, thanks bgoc!

- - - Updated - - -

Tried Cacharel Pour Homme at Boots the other day, both wife and I did not like how it smelled on me, far too much like fabreeze or some other household product with fragrance in it. Even after a good amount of time it did not get any better. That's two down - some of these others are going to be a bit of work tracking down.