Code of Conduct

Default Introduction & Tom Ford

Hi folks

Ive been a long time reader of this forum. I finally decided to register.

So here i am.. and right off the bat i need your help

My fragrance of use ( yes only 1) is the Givenchy Gentleman.
    Its been with me since forever.

But now i feel like its time to move on, and expand to more fragrances.

Im very interested in the TF line, namely these:
    Noir de Noir
    Moss Breches
    Neroli Portofino
    Oud Wood
    Purple Patchouli
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Black Orchid

Most of these are very expensive and i would of course like to sample them first, but there is no TF retailer nowhere in Sweden..
    So i contacted some Ebay seller, he wants me to pay 25-30 usd/ sample of 4ml.
    Am i being taken for a ride with that price ? or is it fair?

What other ways are there to get these samples?
    What is the closest place i would need to travel in Europe to get my hands on these scents?

Thank you for a great forum

Regards

Default Re: Introduction & Tom Ford

Sounds about right, I paid around 15 for a 2ml sample, my two fav are tobacco vanille and oud wood

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

http://surrendertochance.com/tom-for...bacco-vanille/

I recommend you order here. Its a trusted and welknown site for samples on basenotes. A 1ml sample is $6 and will probably give you 3/4 wearings.

So you can sample all the scents from your list for about $40. Much better deal than paying 25 for one sample you might not like.

That sounds very fair..
    Do you guys reckon 1ml is enough to get a good sense of to scent and its longevity on the skin?

As i live in Sweden are there any issues with customs or taxes for such small things?

Or are there alternatively any European websites that provide samples?

PS
    Im still interested in where i can get a hold of TF scents outside sweden in Scandinavia perhaps?
    Im sure there are retailers in Paris and London.. but i was thinking something closer to home.

Thank you for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    Im still interested in where i can get a hold of TF scents outside sweden in Scandinavia perhaps?
    Im sure there are retailers in Paris and London.. but i was thinking something closer to home.
    Are you sure you can't find Black Orchid in Stockholm? It's not part of the Private Line, so it is in a wider distribution, there must be somewhere there that sells the standard TF line. As for the Private line, it's likely that the nearest places for the full line will be Berlin (KaDeWe) or London (Harrods).

^Nope no black orchid even in sthlm..called around to all the big perfumeries and some small ones..

Any tips on european websites where i can buy these? After ive sampled them i have to get a hold of the one that i like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    That sounds very fair..
    Do you guys reckon 1ml is enough to get a good sense of to scent and its longevity on the skin?

As i live in Sweden are there any issues with customs or taxes for such small things?

Or are there alternatively any European websites that provide samples?

PS

Thank you for the help
    1ml is the equivalent to about 8-10 sprays on average so it should be plenty for you to get a good wearing out of a scent and a good feel for its longevity.

I know of a really good UK based sample seller on ebay called kaoslink - you should have a look at his selection. Try a few Serge Lutens fragrances whilst you are at it - one of my favourite houses.

Per the Tom Ford website, try this retailer in Copenhagen....good luck.

BIRGER CHRISTENSEN
    OSTERGADE, 38
    COPENHAGEN
    DK 1100
    T +45 33 11 55 55

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the netherlands myself and never had any problems with customs. They mark it as a gift I think.

1 ml isnt allot but good enough to get a feel with the frag. After that you could always order a larger sample. (or buy a bottle)

I do have to say I like samples in glass spray better (compared to dabbing a vial to your wrist) but those are 2ml minimum.

Wow thank you for the danish shop. Ile contact then tomorrow.

Im also thinking 2ml spray.. the total order is about 100 usd for:

Noir de Noir
    Neroli Portofino
    Oud Wood
    Purple Patchouli
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Black Orchid

The only one they dont have at surrender is the moss breches.. but i think its discontinued anyway..so it doesn't matter.

There must be some retailers online in europe who sell bottles of TF Private blend right?
    Im not keen on taking a chance with the customs, even though there is a small risk.

I will check out that uk ebay seller aswell..

You guys are awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Btw while im at it..do you reccomend any other scents to sample from these collections?

HERMESSENCE
    Cartier Les Heures
    Dior Privee
    Armani Prive

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Surrender to Chance also does a rather good sampler pack offer for TF - 5 Private Blends for US$13.99 per 0.5ml (with the option of larger sizes). I used to buy 2ml sprays for sampling but personally I've come to realize 1ml is enough for me to decide if I want to smell more of a fragrance or not. Even so, I ended up with a handful of vials of TFs I became less keen on once I'd tried scents from elsewhere as well.

I do like Moss Breches, though. I thought it was one of the better Private Blends. It may be worth trying - a quick check on eBay turns up two listings of (presumably decanted) roll-ons, although I have not personally bought from either seller.

Btw while im at it..do you reccomend any other scents to sample from these collections?

HERMESSENCE

Regards
    My favourites from the line are Vetiver Tonka and Poivre Samarcande.
    Ambre Narguile is quite popular too, if your skin can handle sweeter scents.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From Hermes, Vetiver Tonka (sweet nutty vetiver) and Ambre Narguile warm apple pie) are basenotes hits.

From Armani try Bois d'Encens. Very good incense fragrance which reminds me of a catholic mass.

Thank you for the tips..

Im open for even more tips from the above mentioned lines.

Even something worth testing out of that line.

Might be hard for you to recommend something not knowing my taste..i enjoy everything like Givenchy gentlemen,Chanel No5,Boss One and Armani Eph .. all very different .. so im up for trying anything that is a stand out and considered good by the basenotes crowd

My goal is to find a few good high end scents and move away from the eau de colognes into the edp's or even extracts..

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    My favourites from the line are Vetiver Tonka and Poivre Samarcande.
    Ambre Narguile is quite popular too.
    Three great scents as are all of them in this line IMO.

Dior Privee - Leather Oud, Eau Noire, Oud Ispahan, Ambre Nuit & Granville
    Armani Prive - not a fan, though Ambre Soie is excellent (didn't last on my dry skin, so stayed away)
    Hermessence - Paprika Brasil, Amber Narguile, Vetiver Tonka - almost their entire line's pretty good, though, I found it weak on longevity (my dry skin to be blamed).

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to buy samples from Falcon Crystal. Look for Heperd on basenotes and follow the link at the bottom of his posts, very reliable.
    I would for:
    Noir de Noir
    Oud Wood
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Black Orchid

Post Thanks / Like

I donno, but i started to hate Tom Ford
    The only one I can wear comfortably nowadays is Grey vetiver