Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default It looks like the maintenance man had a fun time with my cologne collection.

So i have a plumbing issue and scheduled maintenance to take care of it while i was at work. The issue is in my bedroom bathroom, which is near my shelf of around 50-75 fragrances. Im ocd about how everything is organized on my shelf. I get home, and EVERY LAST BOTTLE is turned, or misplaced by an inch or two, and it definitely looks off. I dont blame him for wanting to check it out, but damn, you cant make it look any more obvious? you have a job to do and you have time to fool around with every single bottle? lol. Anyways. i hope he sniffed out something he likes.

Default Re: It looks like the maintenance man had a fun time with my cologne collection.

LOL.

Funny story.

Default Re: It looks like the maintenance man had a fun time with my cologne collection.

That would drive me absolutely batshit crazy! Im very territorial about my living space. If somebody asks first Ill give you the shirt off my own back, but taking without asking infuriates me to no end. I would have called his employer and had him fired for something like that. I respect you for handling this so well.

Hopefully he is inspired to start his own collection.. Funny story btw

Quote Originally Posted by capridog View Post
    hopefully he is inspired to start his own collection.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    That would drive me absolutely batshit crazy! Im very territorial about my living space. If somebody asks first Ill give you the shirt off my own back, but taking without asking infuriates me to no end. I would have called his employer and had him fired for something like that. I respect you for handling this so well.
    What he did wasn't nice but in the end it didn't actually hurt anyone.

You are suggesting a man lose his means of support, his ability to feed clothe and shelter himself and his family. What he did was rude and impolite, what you suggest is evil. Hopefully you were simply engaging in hyperbole and would never actually try to ruin someone for such a small impertinence.

Oh, I know I'd be angry! Had a similar situation while staying in a hotel. Left the room and the maid opened up my toiletry case and helped herself to not only several sprays of perfume but my make-up too. Ick! Then left it all out on the counter! You better believe I spoke with her superior, though I was not trying to have her fired (and she wasn't). But people who lack boundaries must be taught.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post

You are suggesting a man lose his means of support, his ability to feed clothe and shelter himself and his family. What he did was rude and impolite, what you suggest is evil. Hopefully you were simply engaging in hyperbole and would never actually try to ruin someone for such a small impertinence.

Thread title of the day!
    While I'm here I might as well admit, the word overreaction did cross my mind for a moment.

Good story. And I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. The maintenance guy was pretty indiscreet and a bit rude, though. On the plus side, maybe you created a new fraghead!
    And I agree with Awakening950's take on it.

As long as he hasn't nicked anything, I would put it down to experience.

Its not evil. Where I come from, if you did something like that you would be fired on the spot no questions asked. He was being PAID to do a job, and in that line of work you get paid AND you bill by the hour. So technically while the defendant was messing with the collection the OP was having to PAY him to do it. No he didnt hurt anyone, so thats why I didnt say I would have had him arrested, just fired. Let me ask you a question: At your place of employment, if you got caught wasting time doing something like this would you be fired?

funny story lol

Its not evil. Where I come from, if you did something like that you would be fired on the spot no questions asked. He was being PAID to do a job, and in that line of work you get paid AND you bill by the hour. So technically while the defendant was messing with the collection the OP was having to PAY him to do it. No he didnt hurt anyone, so thats why I didnt say I would have had him arrested, just fired. Let me ask you a question: At your place of employment, if you got caught wasting time doing something like this would you be fired?
    The answer to that question is NO! I would not get fired!

The OP can't have him fired just by requesting that from his employer. If you think it was such a small thing, then you shouldn't be concerned with the man losing his job. Or should we never complain to the bosses of workers over small things because a boss may over-react? That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it. I wouldn't call a plumber picking up every bottle of cologne in a customer's bedroom while no one is around a small thing. It makes me wonder what else he was being nosy with.

I don't think you are evil.

CologneFan85

Exclamation Re: It looks like the maintenance man had a fun time with my cologne collection.

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    The OP can't have him fired just by requesting that from his employer. If you think it was such a small thing, then you shouldn't be concerned with the man losing his job. Or should we never complain to the bosses of workers over small things because a boss may over-react? That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it. I wouldn't call a plumber picking up every bottle of cologne in a customer's bedroom while no one is around a small thing. It makes me wonder what else he was being nosy with.
    I agree, you don't know if hes been going thru your drawers etc...No Harm no foul to some extent. BUT this is a personal home, with valuables allot different then messing around at a "workplace".

I wasnt too bothered by it tbh. i was more amused than anything. He was so caught up with it , he left his otter phone case on my nightstand. Really? A phone case? Who leaves a phone case on someones night stand???

I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE MESSING WITH MY PERSONAL THINGS!!!

Haha, in all seriousness, though, knowing that he was going through my personal possessions would definitely upset me. I'm a pretty understanding and forgiving guy, and like to give people the benefit of the doubt where possible, but this would still bother me and make me wonder what else he might have been "going through" while in my place alone. It just speaks to someone's character, especially when they're supposed to be doing a job.

How is he to know which bottles might be extremely expensive or have a lot of sentimental value? What if he sprayed a few sprays of an extremely expensive bottle that had very little left to begin with? Worse, what if he accidentally broke or spilled something by messing around with them. It's an extremely careless, rude and disrespectful action....especially because it's obvious when someone has a "collection" displayed like that, that it's bound to be important to them in some way. Messing with that is without a doubt a violation of personal space and quite likely worse than that. The thing is, it's not that one act that's the real issue, it's the questions it raises about what else is going on and what the person's character is. Basically, again, what else is he doing when nobody else is looking? More power to you if you take it lightly and in stride, but for future instances, I'd personally make sure anything of value was hidden and/or locked up before allowing him to fix anything like that, without supervision, again.

Lol. A fragrance collection is an attractive view...

Haha funny story. He probably went home to his wife smelling like your Aventus!

Great story. Lol at everyone getting mad at something you think is funny. Most maintenance guys would probably look at a collection like that and not think about it for 2 seconds. Its really funny that he was so fascinated that he tested every bottle.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned
    Blog Entries

how rude. give that man a few 1ml decants.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    how rude. give that man a few 1ml decants.
    Im glad he didnt look under my bed, or some of my MANY Niche samples may be gone!! lol. I can keep track of my bottles but i have way too many samples to keep track of

As long as nothing is missing, I wouldn't be upset at all.

What if you saw him after work and he smelled good? Lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Rude but funny, I wouldntmind if it happened to me, but it would make me paranoid to think what else he tried on lol

If he is bonded that would be an infraction. What else could he have gone through? I would be very suspicious and report it to his boss. I don't think it is to much to expect that your things not be gone through by a maintaiance person. Uncouth to say the least.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I mean it's not good that he looked through your stuff, but fired? Idk I think that's too harsh.

Funny story though haha

Great story! Lol. I wish I could think of something funny to add, but I'm drawing a blank...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Is it possible he moved them completely off the shelf as to not risk breaking anything?

Who here wouldn't pick up a bottle or two from an awesome collection?
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Is it possible he moved them completely off the shelf as to not risk breaking anything?
    Yeah, that's what I've been wondering. That would be far less creepy, and it explains the fact of _every_ bottle being moved. Someone sneakily sampling the collection would, I'd think, take more trouble to cover their tracks.

I'd probably get mad myself. I'm an OCD/germaphobe person, and in general I don't like people touching my stuff.

Then again if I was expecting a stranger employee to be in my personal area while I'm not there, I'd prob. lock/close doors, put away stuff that I wouldn't want to go 'missing' and stuff before the person even arrives.

Just report it to his boss. Not out of spite but for him to learn to distinguish between being professional and unprofessional.
    Some people actually do have vintage or discontinued perfumes in small quantities sitting on a shelf in their bathroom. Right scent? LOL

for swap/sale:

I was considering making a new account named "Mr. Fix-It" and posting a new thread about how I have recently been introduced to the amazing world of fragrance...

I hate being lazy.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

He probably admired and sniffed a few. Maybe even sampled. The thought of a fresh smelling plumber amuses me.

I have prospective buyers touring my house this AM. My collection is on full display on my dresser. The mind races. At least the agent will be with them! If they buy my house, I'd give them their pick of a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I was considering making a new account named "Mr. Fix-It" and posting a new thread about how I have recently been introduced to the amazing world of fragrance...

I hate being lazy.
    Hilarious !

sounds like he just bumped into it with his tools and was nice enough to try and put things back how they were. always assume the best; the vast majority of people are good. plus, it is not to is advantage in business terms to be looking around your stuff.

I'll second that.

Hi, this is the maintenance guy. I've been checking out your collection and I have to tell you that you seriously lack some aromatic fougeres to have a well-balanced wardrobe. Get back to me if you need some suggestions.

XX
    Last edited by LloydLlewellyn; 18th January 2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Plus

I'd be flattered.

I would be irritated, that's for sure. I feel uncomfortable if someone touches MY goods or property.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Blog Entries

Guess you'll have to set up video Nanny-cam and catch him next time...I see both sides of this, but if he was actually squirting expensive juice around...It would bother me.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Blog Entries

It's like finding someone used your deodorant...
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 18th January 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I just could not let a stranger come to my residence when I or someone I trust was not present. Thats just me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I just could not let a stranger come to my residence when I or someone I trust was not present. Thats just me.
    That's why I think it's nuts when people down here (Augusta, GA) rent out their homes for the Masters golf tournament. That is being desperate for some cash, IMHO. I mean, these are people's primary residences! Too much work, issues and too many risks.

Quote Originally Posted by elbenja View Post
    sounds like he just bumped into it with his tools and was nice enough to try and put things back how they were. always assume the best; the vast majority of people are good. plus, it is not to is advantage in business terms to be looking around your stuff.
    I would talk to him and ask what happened.

There is no reason to jump to conclusions that he took anything. There are valid reasons bottles could have been moved around. It could be innocent. There is no reason to be quick to anger. Its wise to have the facts first.

Next ELdO scent: Fat Plumber, "a sensual mix of a personal collection impertinently and hurriedly sprayed while being aware of crossing boundaries and yet succumbing to desire"

Honestly, it would piss me off. PS, why isnt your large collection in a dark cupboard or something? :P

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
    Next ELdO scent: Fat Plumber, "a sensual mix of a personal collection impertinently and hurriedly sprayed while being aware of crossing boundaries and yet succumbing to desire"

Honestly, it would piss me off. PS, why isnt your large collection in a dark cupboard or something? :P
    No sunlight gets into my room. I have black curtains so its like no window is even there. My room stays dark.

Quote Originally Posted by elbenja View Post
    This is what I think might have happened. Not to stereotype, but I would think most maintenence people wouldn't give a rip about some fragrances on a shelf. I'm sure they see plenty of cool/crazy/bizarre crap going into that many people's places.

Maybe if one or two were move around... but ALL of them? Seems odd he would sit there and spray/fiddle with every one of them.

I could never handle living in an apartment or something where people would need to come in when I may not be there. That would drive me nuts.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

If i were a detective, i would conclude that this was no accident and that he was really interested. First of all theres no need for him to even get near the shelf on the way to the bathroom. Second, if he accidently knocked it and attempted to but everything back, he did a damn good job of putting them back in the correct spot, as everything was in its place, just inches off or turned somewhat, as he he was smelling each one by one and putting them back.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    If i were a detective, i would conclude that this was no accident and that he was really interested. First of all theres no need for him to even get near the shelf on the way to the bathroom. Second, if he accidently knocked it and attempted to but everything back, he did a damn good job of putting them back in the correct spot, as everything was in its place, just inches off or turned somewhat, as he he was smelling each one by one and putting them back.
    He could have not even noticed it, walked into the desk, and everything was moved.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    So i have a plumbing issue and scheduled maintenance to take care of it while i was at work. The issue is in my bedroom bathroom, which is near my shelf of around 50-75 fragrances. Im ocd about how everything is organized on my shelf. I get home, and EVERY LAST BOTTLE is turned, or misplaced by an inch or two, and it definitely looks off. I dont blame him for wanting to check it out, but damn, you cant make it look any more obvious? you have a job to do and you have time to fool around with every single bottle? lol. Anyways. i hope he sniffed out something he likes.
    Did you pay him by the hour?

^^^^This was a maintenance man for an apt complex or building. You dont have to pay these guys as they are paid from everyone's rent. Just like the guys who come to clean the pool or mow the grass except this guys has keys to everyone's apartment.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    ^^^^This was a maintenance man for an apt complex or building. You dont have to pay these guys as they are paid from everyone's rent. Just like the guys who come to clean the pool or mow the grass except this guys has keys to everyone's apartment.
    Thanks. All the keys to all the apartments? Now THIS is the guy who has de facto the hugest perfume collection among all of us!

There is no variety and vintage of Axe he wouldn't know about!

You ever think that maybe he just knocked one over on accident, then politely tried to place things back in order to comply with your overly-anal nature?

Plumber came to work in your bathroom & then touched all of your bottles? Scrub time.

I'd say he was intrigued, rather than evil.

And it does sound like he made every attempt to put them back in a manner that was respectful of their importance..

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Plumber came to work in your bathroom & then touched all of your bottles? Scrub time.
    Trying to get an 85% discount on the collection? Not nice. Not fair.

I thought of that first (-: