Code of Conduct

Default Why is Black Afgano so darn expensive?

I wanted to sample this one because it sounded interesting, but $40.00 for a 2ml sample??? Is there something rare in here? Is it that good? This isnt Clive Christian. Im not even gonna ask if its worth the price, as nothing is worth that much to sample.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, it has cannabis as the main note, this i didnt know, lol

- - - Updated - - -

Wow: cannabis, incense, oud, coffee, tobacco, resins, woodsy notes-- this sounds like a fantasy fragrance. I really want to try it. Can anyone give me some input. Is it worth trying?
    Last edited by fragnifiscent; 18th January 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Why is Black Afgano so darn expensive?

Around a £100 for 30ml retail. Duro seems to the most reviewed from this house.

Sound Scents

Definitely not worth $40 for a 2 ml sample (nor the whole bottle, IMO). It has a strong following here but I found it completely weird in a bad way and completely unwearable. I hope to never have to smell it again. That said, Lucky Scent sells samples of it for well under $10 (albeit only .7ml if I remember correctly) so nothing should hold you back from trying it out if you must. This stuff is an extrait, so a little goes a very long way; believe me!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

i have a sample comming in the mail...i think i paid $10 for 0.25ml
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Banned
    Blog Entries

it's $200 for 30ml. so that would be over $600 for a 100ml.

also, i hear its very potent, so you probably get equivalent of 100ml to be fair.

nasomattos pardon was very concentrated. needed only 1 or 2 swabs from the sample stick..i can only imagine what 1 spray would do...

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i have a sample comming in the mail...i think i paid $10 for 0.25ml
    Are you gonna do one of your reviews on it??

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Definitely not worth $40 for a 2 ml sample (nor the whole bottle, IMO).
    Agree.

What they need to do is make much less concentrated EdP versions and sell them at half price of the extraits.

If you buy it from First in Fragrance is like $130.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    If you buy it from First in Fragrance is like $130.
    Unfortunately they do not have it, and they have no date listed when they will be receiving.

Don't forget there is a $32.00 mailing charge unless you order $600.00 or more from them for free mailing. If you pay by Credit Card, add another 1%-2% for the currency conversion. PayPal charges even more for currency conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    Are you gonna do one of your reviews on it??
    yep,the order was placed the 7th of january but has not been shipped yet,,,i think i odered a sample of Duro as well....cant wait...have 10 more samples with that order as well....cant wait until it comes

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    yep,the order was placed the 7th of january but has not been shipped yet,,,i think i odered a sample of Duro as well....cant wait...have 10 more samples with that order as well....cant wait until it comes
    wow 10 days and it still hasnt shipped??? Id check up on that.

perfumed court shipping is always slow..last order was my first time using them and i think it was a little over 2 weeks even before it was shipped...someone on another board said the company owners/partners split and half of them started a new company so there might be some issues regardin their stock/staffing/shipping speed......the samples they sent were all legit and the decants had nice bottles and caps on them...except for the kerosene samples which did not come with caps on them....they are more expensice than luckyscent though

Because some suckers will buy it
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I have Black Afgano -
    A. in sprayer bottle (30 ml ) , cost 108€ directly from nasomatto site.
    B. in an oil/roller bottle (4ml ) , cost 38€ directly from nasomatto site.

IMO amazing top quality fragrance. Unique masculine addicting smell. Monster silage and projection .

I like the oil version more than the sprayer - the oil transforms this beast fragrance to be a smooth ,refined , out of this world smell.

Actually I am curious now, because on their site both are listed as extrait de parfum, but roll-on as highly concentrated oil, can anyone confirm it is higher concentration? As in, could the roll-on last as long as a 4 ml attar would? Price/ml would definitely look much better for an oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Because some suckers will buy it
    While I don't agree that anyone who likes a particular scent and is willing to pay the price is a sucker, this is a valid point. A better way to say it might be: Black Afgano is that expensive because people will pay that much to own it.

I love Interlude Man. Amouage sells 100ml for $275. Why? Because it's high quality? Yes, but that's not why. They sell for $275 because that's what the market will bear. It's no different with Nasomatto.

Black Afgano is expensive but it sells, and perfumery is a business. In fact, it is art and business (though, to be fair, most art is business, unless it has some other form of funding).

Part of the reason I haven't tried Black Afgano is out of fear than I'd love it and want it. My bank account hates me enough as it is!

Blah blah blah... if people wouldn't pay it, Nasomatto couldn't charge that much for it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

It is a must try fragrance

too high price, and too similar to YSL M7 .
    High prices are not justifiables at such extent IMO.

The drydown smells strong of Play-Doh. Not good.

Black Afgano didn't smell anything like I expected it to - it smelled screechy and weird and, to be honest, I couldn't wait to scrub it off! Duro on the other hand....can anyone lend me £120.00....anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    While I don't agree that anyone who likes a particular scent and is willing to pay the price is a sucker, this is a valid point. A better way to say it might be: Black Afgano is that expensive because people will pay that much to own it.

I love Interlude Man. Amouage sells 100ml for $275. Why? Because it's high quality? Yes, but that's not why. They sell for $275 because that's what the market will bear. It's no different with Nasomatto.

Black Afgano is expensive but it sells, and perfumery is a business. In fact, it is art and business (though, to be fair, most art is business, unless it has some other form of funding).

Part of the reason I haven't tried Black Afgano is out of fear than I'd love it and want it. My bank account hates me enough as it is!

Blah blah blah... if people wouldn't pay it, Nasomatto couldn't charge that much for it.
    Thanks for eloquently summing up the modern "luxury" business, including perfumery. The success of conglomerats such as LVMH is based on charging excessively high prices for their "luxury" products that are founded on image and aimed at aspirational middle class consumers, rather than product-inherent quality and cost of workmanship and scarcity of raw materials used (that would be genuine luxury, which has always been and always will be available only to the 1%).

Nasomatto's approach is to take conventional aromachemical-based fragrances and hyperconcentrate them. The cost of the juice is certainly not a pricing factor. In all fairness, though, the profit margin in niche is considerably smaller than in the designer field due to the economics of scale.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Black Afgano didn't smell anything like I expected it to - it smelled screechy and weird and, to be honest, I couldn't wait to scrub it off! Duro on the other hand....can anyone lend me £120.00....anyone...?
    Agreed. Prefer Duro over BA but will not pay their asking price for 30ml.

inflated prices are a marketing strategy, IMO!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I bought the swiss arabian knockoff oil version which is smoother and you get the same dry down.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

please dont spent $40 on 2ml.

Its a very good and strong fragrance...one or two sprays and your good for 12+hrs

Quote Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
    It is a must try fragrance
    Yup. Polarizing, but definitely a must try.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Yup. Polarizing, but definitely a must try.
    Do people who smell it on you find it polarizing as well? Black Afgano is on my dying to try list, but I've never gotten around to picking up a sample.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Yeah not for the faint heart but definitely worth a try. For me those this stuff fits into one of three scenarios. 1) when you are going for a rugged look, eg I wouldn't wear this to the office but on the weekend in cooler weather with the leather jacket seems to just go hand in hand 2) when you don't give a damn 3) when you're sick of smelling clean/sweet from your other fragrances.

The dry down becomes reasonably smooth but still animalistic however those opening notes are just so raw and dirty.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

CologneFan85

It was horrible...IMO just way to potent !

I'm curious to see if this smells like halloween as everyone says. Ive always wanted to find a scent that represents the spirit of halloween.

CologneFan85

I'm curious to see if this smells like halloween as everyone says. Ive always wanted to find a scent that represents the spirit of halloween.
    DG The One reminds me of halloween, has a sweet licorice scent.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Do people who smell it on you find it polarizing as well? Black Afgano is on my dying to try list, but I've never gotten around to picking up a sample.
    Naw, just fragheads. It can cloy if it's over applied, and that's pretty easy with this frag. But I've only received positive compliments from others when wearing it, as I find a lot of fragrances that are supposed to "stink" (MKK, APlS, SM) actually are quite well received and even complimented by others when worn. If anything, it's distinct. I love it, but can understand why some might not. Either way, I consider it to be a must smell.

They have go to somehow recoup the money lost on all the free samples they give out....oh wait. nvrmnd

Tried it. Definitely not for me....

Is it bad? I actually don't think so. There are just so many other fragrances I'd choose over it in any scenario. When you then factor in the price and amount that you get... no brainer for me.

Anyone tried black afgano by swiss arabian? http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...roduct_id=1232

for those who have and don't like black afgano and are willing to trade/sell - let me know please.

Participate in split on basenotes, you won't need more than 5ml. Palmbeach has ongoing split for nasmatto.

Basenotes Plus

Much prefer Black Afgano to Duro. One spray to the chest and I'm set for the day with either.

Is Nasomatto ever going to come out with anything new? When was their last release...like 2011?
    The Black Afgano hype lasted about a week for me, then I regretted buying it in the first place and sold it.
    Duro is OK, so is Absinth...not great but not bad either -- certainly nothing spectacular though.

Im looking forward to the cooler weather so I can whip this bad boy out again. BA is great.

Didn't think much of Duro, glad it was only a sample but the stuff is potent. Pardon was nice enough, some similarities to Lidge in there. Eitherway I too would like to see the next Nasomatto creation but eh what can you do.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I wanted to sample this one because it sounded interesting, but $40.00 for a 2ml sample??? Is there something rare in here? Is it that good? This isnt Clive Christian. Im not even gonna ask if its worth the price, as nothing is worth that much to sample.
    In my opinion be it Nasomatto or Clive Christian, there is only a certain level of quality you can attain in fragrances, its not like if you apply any of these, the world will be intoxicated by you, i think the same level of quality could be attained by a Creed, Amouage etc.

In the end according to me, if you cross the 100$ for 100ml mark, any amount you pay more than this, would be a major payment towards the goodwill or brand value.

Today when you say you have a Clive Christian, agreed it may give you a little bit of uniqueness, but maybe you know it or you dont, in the end your paying for a bottle thats giving you snob appeal, its giving you the exclusivity to own the bottle and use its brand name, so the companies think "they are" doing a favour on you and hence feel that they can charge exorbitant prices and get away with it, and they actually are succesfull as people do buy their scents.

Again i may be wrong, but this is just my honest opinion.

Well If I find it worth the price then I sure am going to buy it :/

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    In the end according to me, if you cross the 100$ for 100ml mark, any amount you pay more than this, would be a major payment towards the goodwill or brand value.
    Each to their own as you said, I agree with your point on some fragrances only giving you a slight bit of uniqueness eg Clive Christian C vs Tuscan Leather, however I think there are some fragrances out there that are unique and yes invariably you are paying for their brand value but also that uniqueness. I'm wearing Sova right now I know nothing that is similar to it, same with Black Afghano, pure distance M etc, im sure members could list many others that nothing quite compares to.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)