Code of Conduct

Default Looking for Perfume Recommendations To Suit My Personality!

I am still in search of my signature scent, and could really do with some recommendations. Previous perfumes I have loved have been Ralph by Ralph Lauren, Versace signature and most of all Elie Saab. I also have a slight hankering for Acqua de Gioia (sp).

Personality-wise I am assertive but playful with a GSOH. I see myself as a "strong woman". Red lipstick is my usual warpaint and I am pale skinned with black hair.

I love jasmin, orange blossom, slightly sweet, with notes of honey and fruit. I hope to find something sexy, but universally wearable - any ideas??

THANK YOU
    Last edited by Rashan; 18th January 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Looking for Perfume Recommendations To Suit My Personality!

L'Instant de Guerlain would be my first pick. Also worth trying would be Chanel Allure or Ralph Lauren Safari. Maybe Estée Lauder Tuscany per Donna.

Welcome!

From your likes, it does seem you like a touch of fruity sweetness. At opposite ends: very big, bright, red is Fracas, a big creamy floral. Smooth elegant, but still with a serious leathery undercurrent, there's the new Bottega Veneta.

cacio

Thanks for the quick replies - I'd be really grateful for more recommendations as am going to my local mall next week and would like to try quite a few different perfumes

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Do try Hermes 24 Faubourg. A gorgeous fragrance if worn carefully. Definitely not for the shy girl-next-door.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Hi, Rashan.

Two good ones worth trying -- and both should be available at the mall -- are Jean-Paul Gaultier's Classique, and Narcisco Rodriguez for Her. They're two very different fragrances -- but both have really nice orange blossom in them, and Classique has plenty of the sweetness you're looking for, and NR has plenty of the sexy. Worth trying, anyway. Good luck!

Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions. I particularly like the sound of 24 Faubourg, however I can't seem to find any testers online and am rather hesitant to buy without smelling it first!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashan View Post
    Thank you for all the fantastic suggestions. I particularly like the sound of 24 Faubourg, however I can't seem to find any testers online and am rather hesitant to buy without smelling it first!
    Don't know where you are in the world, but there are several decanting business that are easily accessed online such as: Surrender to chance, The perfumed court, Luckyscent, The perfume shoppe. There are more that I am not going to list right now, but you'll probably find them once you start searching. Purchasing samples from these suppliers is a relatively cheap and easy way to discover what you like.

Perhaps Monatle Pretty Fruity or Montale Candy Rose might work.

I'd suggest La Petite Robe Noire if you want something cheerful yet not dull...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Samsara Guerlain is still a great choice.

Ok so I ahve returned from John Lewis (I am UK based in answer to the poster above ) and have tried a fair few different things. Conclusions so far in case it's helpful for further recommendations/anyone is interested:

Tom Ford - Black Orchid - I found this interesting, complex and sophisticated, one of my favourites that I tried. It had perhaps a touch too much spice for me to wear it daily.

Acqua di Parma - Colonia - beautiful fresh fragrance, slightly too much citrus. It reminds me of Lush's fizzbanger bath bombs!

La Petite Robe Noir - I liked the light fruitiness, but thought the dry down too sweet.

Guerlain - Shalimar - I found this difficult to judge, the initial scent I adored, but after some time it became too powdery for me - the scent reminded me vaguely of talcum powder and saunas.

Guerlain -Idylle This reminded me so much of Benefit's Maybe Baby (one of my first perfumes as a teen) but slightly more floral. I liked it, but wasn't blown away.

Hermès - 24, Fauborg I did not like this to begin with. As it wore on however it started to wow me. Exceedingly classy, it reminds me (and I think is the signature scent of) my godmother who is exceedingly elegant, intelligent and wealthy, being an Associate at one of the magic circle law firms in London. I couldn't wear it every day, but will likely purchase a small bottle for special occasions when I want to channel that!

Bvlgari - Jasmin Noir - I liked this, but did not LOVE it. To me it smells like wallflower incarnate, pleasant enough but not eye catching.

Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb - One of my favourite of the bunch, after perhaps 24, Faubourg. Soft, sweet with a hint of creamy decadence. It smells edible! I've been wearing it all day and can't keep my nose off my wrists. I worry however it might be a little too sweet, and perhaps a little simple/dull for my tastes, much as I find it delicious.

So there we have it. I didn't get time today to try all your wonderful suggestions, however I am going to make finding my perfect scent a project over the next few weeks, and intend to try any and all recommendations that come in, provided I can find them!

Hi Rashan, I'm a noob, but it seems we have similar tastes on the citrus side of things. I also liked Ralph by Ralph Lauren and I also thought Aqua de Goia was a bit too much. I had luck picking something from Hermes Un Jardin line (Un Jardin Sur Le Nil) and Guerlain Acqua Allegoria's line has fresh citrusy scents like Pampelune that go on reallly zesty but dry down mild and sweet. Hope that helps, and good luck !

+ 1 Black Orchid

Hi Rashan, I used to wear 24 Faubourg and the other scents I have enjoyed have been Boucheron (the blue one just called Boucheron), Chance by Chanel (again the original one), Coco Chanel for evening wear (may be too heavy and not enough floral for you), Hermes Eau de Merveilles (the original one. I suspect you may like that), Van Cleef and Arpels First is a classic. Not sure on the reformulation as I haven't tried it recently. The Dior range is worth a sniff. I really like the new Diorling but it may be too dry for you with not enough flowers.

If you are in the UK, then definitely go to London to Les Senteurs in Marble Arch or Elizabeth St. You just might enjoy the new version of Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant, Fleur de Rocaille by Caron, Ombre Rose by Jean-Charles Brosseau, Parfum d'Empire Azemour-les orangers or if money is no object then Hasu-no-Hana. You can try everything there and I guarantee you won't leave wthout a few favourites. A one stop experience. Leave time for lunch or tea over the road because your nose will give up before you do.

I would suggest:

Allure Chanel EDP
    Coco Noir Chanel
    Roberto Cavalli Eau de Parfum
    Fracas