Code of Conduct

Thread: That one scent

Default That one scent

I've been sniffing around and ordering samples because I've been on the market for a new fragrance and I wanted some suggestions in regards to fragrances I should check out. To be completely honest, I don't know exactly what I want, but I do know that I want it to be deep and rich (it's going to be a winter fragrance) and a little sweet with a leather or tobacco accord - almost in the same vain as John Varvatos Vintage (I would have bought it as the scent was very nice but the longevity wasn't there). I don't need the scent to have enormous projection - moderate is fine - but I am looking for a scent that the community would collectively posit as long lasting (i.e. over 6 or 7 hours). I would prefer if it wasn't super offensive (I'm a medical student so I have class during the day and I deal with patients in the evening). Just to give you guys some background info, I am 20, my signature fragrance is spicebomb, I tend to dislike overly citrusy or powdery fragrances, and the colognes I have been wearing recently (in order of most frequent to least frequent) include:

Spicebomb (wear this one 90% of the time), Egoiste, Bleu de Chanel, John Varvatos Original, Silver Mountain Water, Pure Malt (really like this one but getting a little tired of it), Original Santal, and Aventus.

My goal is to develop a more nuanced sense of smell and eventually graduate from characterless designer scents and hyped scents (kinda regret my Aventus and Original Santal purchase) to Niche fragrances. For now, I would appreciate it if you guys just tossed around a couple of names I could check out at department stores/sephora, although I am not completely opposed to testing out more niche scents.

P.S. I already tried out LIDGE, Dior Homme/Intense, D&G The One, La Nuit, Kokorico, Allure Homme/Sport, and Pure Havane. I really liked all of them but didn't have the desire to actually smell like any of those scents.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: That one scent

Perhaps Santal Wood by Montale might work.

Welcome!

Leather lasts a very long time on me, and I like it a lot, but there tend to be few examples in mainstream, this being more of a niche note nowadays. In mainstream, there's always Estee Lauder Azuree, a bright leather, very close to Aramis, but less musky. If you're willing to go into niche, there are several examples, the smoothest being perhaps Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland (saffrony suede).

For stuff you can find at Sephora or the like, at least here in the States, perhaps you can try Bulgari Black, with a nice rubber note (which is in the same family as leathers).

cacio

Sweet & Tobacco makes me think of Versace Dreamer.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I didn't see Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille mentioned, so I will mention it. You might also sample Creed Tabarome Millesime for a sweet tobacco. Also, L'Occitane's Eau des Baux is a fantastic value for the money. It is similar to Tom Ford's TV at a fourth of the cost. It's a great semi-sweet tobacco/vanilla/spice fragrance that's especially good in winter.

Basenotes Plus

Sweet, rich + tobacco? Not many in designer range, I'm afraid. John Varvatos is a good option but doesn't last. Any thoughts on carrying a small atomiser around?

For soft plummy leather perhaps try Bottega Venetta.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th January 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Michael for Men (Kors).

Try Chergui by Serge Lutens! Be careful , though, of potential fragrance sensitivities in your patients-- there are many medical offices and hospitals that now prohibit their providers and staff wearing fragrance. I work in a medical office, and only use things that wear very close to the skin (my little rebellion).

Blog Entries

Montale Red Aoud...warm chocolaty oud and spice. I am a Registered Nurse, and while they make these stupid blanket rules about wearing fragrances, they really only mean overly-applying it. They say no fragrances, but the staff will bathe using shower gel, and apply strong smelling lotion after, and project like a monster! That is hypocritical. I wear mine on the chest lightly at work, and it radiates up to my nose alone. I smell less "potent" than the women wearing all that lotion.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 20th January 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales