Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I just bought Aramis.

I just bought Aramis, even though my wife and I enjoy the notes of this cologne the formulation smells rather dated. Is there a fragrance out there that has the essence of Aramis but with a more modern feel to it; I just worry that I'll stick out like a sore thumb wearing this as a man in his 30s.

Default Re: I just bought Aramis.

You'll stick out in a good way,as someone with taste,imho Aramis is a nice classy fragrance. If you like it and your wife likes it then forget what anyone else thinks

What Shoulderpet said . Bernard Chant authored some great ones .
    Fragrance Omnivore

Post Thanks / Like

You should check out Estee Lauder's AZURÉE. It is essentially the same fragrance as Aramis but smoother, so I guess you could say it is more modern. It is also by Bernard Chant.

Welcome to the manly man club, Aramis is a truly old school macho mans fragrance.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldirtbeard View Post
    I just worry that I'll stick out like a sore thumb wearing this as a man in his 30s.
    If your beard is old and dirty then I shouldn't worry too much.
    Last edited by Marais; 18th January 2013 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I second what Sirnosebleed said, Azuree is essentially the same basic recipe of Aramis, but with less musk and a citrus top. Of course, this assumes that you like the leather and what you find dated are the slightly dirty musks of Aramis.

If you go into niche, you'll find many other leathers. A smoother, suede one is Etat Libre d'Orange Tom of Finland, which also has some saffron and lemon. In mainstream, Bulgari Black has a fun rubber note instead of musky leathers.

cacio

I'm just getting started with this as a hobby/passion, but I think Aramis is fantastic. I wear it a lot and have had many compliments from woman wearing it. I started wearing it because my wife bought it for me as a gift. I guess if you're very young it might not work for you, but I don't see how you can go wrong with this iconic fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    If your beard is old and dirty then I shouldn't worry too much.
    Too funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis is a classic, masculine scent. It is strong, powerful and long lasting, but I can see it not being for everyone. I have worn it off and on since my late teens, but it does feel more geared to the 30 and up group. I say wear it with confidence because there is nothing quite like it!

Post Thanks / Like

If you like it, there is hardly any drawback about this scents. The thing is that, indeed, indeed Aramis does first smell quite dated and extremely dusty, stuffy and heavy to me too. But once the nose overcomes the shock of the first impression, the drydown mellows into a still strong, manly and conservative, yet also one of the most suave, understated and elaborate leather notes one can still find in designer scents.

I also really enjoy this scent.

Unfortunately, I think every woman in my life has reacted badly to it, with one even calling me 'Grandpa' when she smelt it on me.

Don't care - I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a fantastic fragrance. By the way, sticking out is a good thing; in this vast sea of boring sport colognes and inoffensive aquatics, it's so refreshing to smell something with real character. Wear it with pride!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, regarding the second part of your post, Cabochard by Grès is another Bernard Chant composition that might fit the bill if, for you, "more modern" means more transparent. The current formulation is much thinner and lighter than the original; quite a shame for fans of the original, but it makes a nice masculine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My dad owns 2 colognes: Aramis and Polo Blue.

Everyday as he walks to the cupboard, I pray to myself that he choses Polo Blue, so I don't have to deal with the obnoxious Aramis scent cloud for when I eat breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like

I always felt that Gian Franco Ferre's Pontaccio 21 had a similar vibe to Aramis. Some here agreed with me, others didn't.

While Aramis has been a huge seller in Australia for decades, if my two nephews initial reaction to it is any guide, it may not have much of a future. They both thought it awful, saying it smelled like an old woman's scent. Which sounds absurd to me, but curiously, my wife also dislikes it because it reminds her of some tweed scent her mother used to wear.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I wore this stuff some years ago. More recently, I had some on a tester strip from a Perfumania at the mall. I let my 19 year old daughter smell it, and she said "Only buy that if you want to smell like an old man."
    Bummer.
    I still might buy it again, though. And my daughter will just have to get over it.

Very classy. Wear it with confidence!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Clearly, judging by some of the above posts, Aramis is not for teenagers. But again, I've always gotten very positive responses from women that were even just a little north of high school. Elegance never goes out of style. Even my two daughters, 23 and 25, think it is a very attractive, masculine scent. You can now surmise that I am past 50! Aging gracefully all the way. Lol.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good stuff. If you like it, wear it. If you want something less dense, try Derby. It's a lot more expensive, but I think of it as a more transparent Aramis with a soapy facet. It's excellent, and more versatile for me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured I would take the chance and wear it with confidence at work today at the hospital; didn't get any compliments but then I usually don't ( nothing to take personally I work with nurses and their noses have become desensitized over the years. I enjoyed the scent immensely after the dry down, and seemed to last longer than my current signature scent Angel Man: Pure Leather. The only problem I'm running into is my wife thinks this is a Cold Weather Scent which sucks since that's what I have Pure Leather, and Le Male (some vanilla smelling scent) for. The only Warm Weather Scent I have atm is D Squared Wood Rock Mountain Wood (admittedly I have been wearing it lately as well even though it's been a cold January). Thank you for your comments and support; it gave me the courage to try this out at work

It's a year around fragrance. This fragrance kinda got me started on this journey. A classic indeed!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Have you tried the new formulation of Devin? I really like it, very leathery but lots of other good things going on there.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Devin at any store locations like Macys or Sephora?

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked it up, this is a repeat of a 1978 flanker for Aramis; so basically this is a greener version.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, Devin is worth a try. Aramis is all right in your 30s as it is not too heavy.

Devin could be at Perfumania or a small, local perfume store, or at a kiosk at the mall.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aramis is one of my favourites. Does not smell "mordern" in that sense, but smells great.

Aramis Concentree is a "fresher" version, though subtantial as well. It reduces the castoreum/leather and has slightly more citrus up top. It is available online, if not in shops where OP is located.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis is a very classy scent IMO, but not modern. It's just a timeless classy scent that never goes out of style. Aramis is a much better and more intresting scent than most of the designers you find at the shelf today. If you are a classic type guy, Aramis is just perfect. I don't like to put age on fragrances, it's more about style and personality. Every man with a interest for fragrances should have a bottle of Aramis in the collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it (though I've always found it more outdoorsy than classy) but I've only smelled it, possibly overapplied, on frankly not very stylish middle aged and older men. I am a tad worried now that it is some sort of mature men's Cool Water/Le Male and could be seen as a bit of a naff choice.

Aramis - Classic and a great scent!

If you wear this you should not :

Wear skinny pants
    Drive a electric car
    Be a vegan
    Ever consider joining the ranks of the "Hipsters"
    etc .....

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    You should check out Estee Lauder's AZURÉE. It is essentially the same fragrance as Aramis but smoother, so I guess you could say it is more modern. It is also by Bernard Chant.
    +1 NoseBleed beat me to it! Azuree is the female version of Aramis. More citrusy and "fresher" but with the same leathery feel. You can buy this at an Estee Lauder counter or online.

I have both and they are both wonderful. Don't get hung up on "age" or "gender" when it comes to scents.

Just spray and enjoy. Azuree is easily unisex.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I look forward to the day when youngsters smell aquatics and utter the "Grandpa" insult in a man's ear. Have the courage of your convictions! Don't you care who you'll offend when you wear Cool Water or Green Irish Tweed?
    Personally, I liked Aramis ​a lot but an old boyfriend wore it so I moved on.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the dry down of this is heaven. Smell like a brand of baby powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like the hairy chested analogy. You can't help but think Sean Connery wore this during his reign as Mr. Bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I like the hairy chested analogy. You can't help but think Sean Connery wore this during his reign as Mr. Bond.
    No kidding! I think herbals and vetivers are very butch. Hubba Hubba!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore Amaris all through my 20's (1990's).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's around anymore, Luckyscent dropped it, but G-11 by Il Profumo is IMHO a more modern take on Aramis.

Try Aramis Calligraphy!
    Its part rooted in the Aramis past but its mostly modern at the same time.