Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Ambrette seed oil supplier

Hello basenoters,

It may sound a silly question, but I cannot really sort this: I need some ambrette seed oil and wasn't able to find a supplier. Any tips on a vendor in Europe - UK would be preferable?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ambrette seed oil supplier

I don't know, but I thought someone should answer you. I got my ambrette seed oil from America--Eden Botanicals. I first tried it, undiluted, one drop on cotton wool last night. I think it's horrible. Nutty, as in peanuts, and a horrible odour perhaps like foot odour. At length, a weak soapy smell, which I suppose is the musk, but the foot odour persists. I am curious what you're planning to do with it? Ambrettolide, on the other hand, is apparently quite pleasant.

I don't know about Europe, but I recently purchased some ambrette seed oil from White Lotus. The fragrance is very strong. Having never smelled real musk from musk deer pods or civet, I cannot make a fair comparison. It certainly reminds me of fragrances that are based on musk, or at least make that claim (such as Jovan Musk Oil from the 1970's). I think a little will go long way which is good because it's expensive. Unfortunately White Lotus requires a $100 minimum order, however, I am satisfied with all that I ordered.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    I don't know, but I thought someone should answer you. I got my ambrette seed oil from America--Eden Botanicals. I first tried it, undiluted, one drop on cotton wool last night. I think it's horrible. Nutty, as in peanuts, and a horrible odour perhaps like foot odour. At length, a weak soapy smell, which I suppose is the musk, but the foot odour persists. I am curious what you're planning to do with it? Ambrettolide, on the other hand, is apparently quite pleasant.
    Thanks. Very simply, I need it because I was given a sort of exercise (I am taking my first steps in blending fragrances) that includes using ambrette, along with other oils

I'm afraid the sources I know either ascribe magical properties to it (which suggests to me that they can't be trusted) or only sell by the Kg (which is a lot of such an expensive material). I would recommend carrying out the exercise using ambrettolide instead, unless there is some particular reason to use this difficult and expensive material.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member

Thanks all,

Yes, I think I'll go for ambrettolide, although I couldn't find a supplier in Europe. Is ethylene brassilate, which seems easier to get hold of, a valid substitute?

Ethylene brassylate isn't really a substitute as it behaves rather differently. Exaltolide is perhaps closer but really each musk is unique even though the odour profile is quite similar. I would suggest velvione as an alternative, but I don't think that's any easier to obtain than Ambrettolide . . .
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I, too, am looking for an ambrette seed e.o. (not CO2) supplier. I was using White Lotus Aromatics, but because the quality isn't what it once was, I have stopped using them. Any recommendations? I don't like the CO2 from Eden.
    Last edited by James Peterson; 15th August 2014 at 06:35 PM.

Unfortunately the quality of the ambrette seed oil from White Lotus isn't what it once was--the aroma is hardly perceptible--so I've stopped using them. (They're also very unpleasant and difficult to work with.)

I think hermitage oils has ambrette seed oil!

Hello I just want to chime in here if I may.

I don't know WL at all personally but the CO2 is odds on from one source regardless now if its WL, EB or even Hermi. The CO2 was my first experience and I admit I was in the grand scheme of things underwhelmed, its a select yet has a total extract appearance and you really have to be up close and personal to get the smell, so I was baffled by all the hype I heard about this regardless of its modifying qualities. The problem now is there is a worldwide shortage of this stuff - I know as a really big flavours company was so desperate they where trying to buy my stock - yes totally true. Once it is available though I intend to offer the Ambrette Liquid from Rtet and also bring in the absolute from another Grasse based business. And I will keep the price really keen and make sure Hermi USA offers it. Finally James Peterson, its a difficult one, in their shoes and said with experience those charge backs are a nightmare for a seller - I had it done once to me and it causes so many headaches. That said you showed the seller the courtesy with your emails - I never even got that! and the buyer got the parcel - it just took a little bit longer to arrive. Personally I would keep away from the CO2, ours included and if you are wanting it then buy it in the smallest size regardless who you buy from.

The SCO2 of Ambrette seed is much different than the EO, which shouldn't be a surprise, considering that the SCO2 process will have the extract include all sorts of botanical components that the distillation will not recover. I was amazed to find the difference to be so dramatic after receiving a purchase of the EO from WLA a while back (not sure if this is the same as they offer currently). At first I wondered if it was doctored up a bit, but then reading Arctander's mongraph on the oil, it is mentioned that the EO of Ambrette Oil is one of the few EO's that can be considered as a complete perfume As Is. It is, as mentioned in a post above, to be much like the Jovan Musk of the 1970's.