Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Ambrette seed oil supplier

Hello basenoters,

It may sound a silly question, but I cannot really sort this: I need some ambrette seed oil and wasn't able to find a supplier. Any tips on a vendor in Europe - UK would be preferable?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ambrette seed oil supplier

I don't know, but I thought someone should answer you. I got my ambrette seed oil from America--Eden Botanicals. I first tried it, undiluted, one drop on cotton wool last night. I think it's horrible. Nutty, as in peanuts, and a horrible odour perhaps like foot odour. At length, a weak soapy smell, which I suppose is the musk, but the foot odour persists. I am curious what you're planning to do with it? Ambrettolide, on the other hand, is apparently quite pleasant.

I don't know about Europe, but I recently purchased some ambrette seed oil from White Lotus. The fragrance is very strong. Having never smelled real musk from musk deer pods or civet, I cannot make a fair comparison. It certainly reminds me of fragrances that are based on musk, or at least make that claim (such as Jovan Musk Oil from the 1970's). I think a little will go long way which is good because it's expensive. Unfortunately White Lotus requires a $100 minimum order, however, I am satisfied with all that I ordered.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    I don't know, but I thought someone should answer you. I got my ambrette seed oil from America--Eden Botanicals. I first tried it, undiluted, one drop on cotton wool last night. I think it's horrible. Nutty, as in peanuts, and a horrible odour perhaps like foot odour. At length, a weak soapy smell, which I suppose is the musk, but the foot odour persists. I am curious what you're planning to do with it? Ambrettolide, on the other hand, is apparently quite pleasant.
    Thanks. Very simply, I need it because I was given a sort of exercise (I am taking my first steps in blending fragrances) that includes using ambrette, along with other oils

I'm afraid the sources I know either ascribe magical properties to it (which suggests to me that they can't be trusted) or only sell by the Kg (which is a lot of such an expensive material). I would recommend carrying out the exercise using ambrettolide instead, unless there is some particular reason to use this difficult and expensive material.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member

Thanks all,

Yes, I think I'll go for ambrettolide, although I couldn't find a supplier in Europe. Is ethylene brassilate, which seems easier to get hold of, a valid substitute?

Ethylene brassylate isn't really a substitute as it behaves rather differently. Exaltolide is perhaps closer but really each musk is unique even though the odour profile is quite similar. I would suggest velvione as an alternative, but I don't think that's any easier to obtain than Ambrettolide . . .
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.