Code of Conduct

Thumbs up A Great Day with Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Wow.
    Today I remembered why I bought Rive Gauche PH some years ago.
    In the drydown, it reminds me a bit of Aventus minus the fruit.
    This is great stuff. Amazing.
    Ultra masculine. Sexy. Confident. Classy. Impressive.
    It makes me feel good.
    I don't wear this one a lot, which is a shame.
    This smells like the most expensive, exquisite shaving cream you can imagine.
    A Creamy Lady Killer.
    Go easy on the trigger and let this aroma flow around you.
    Pure magic.
    Thank you Jacques Cavallier.

Default Re: A Great Day with Rive Gauche Pour Homme

One of my all time favorite designers. Huge compliment magnet for me.

A truly great scent.

I need a new bottle.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Smells good and is a classic, always go for the tin can version and not the reformulated stuff in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I need a new bottle.
    This!!

Enjoyable on almost any occasion and extremely versatile while retaining classiness.

Yep, I'm currently looking for a bottle. I can't get away from my decant. Why this has been discontinued for the more expensive and less likeable La Collection version, I will never know.

I have it in the can, and wish the longevity was better. May have to go with the somewhat similar Azzaro PH to get the longevity I require of a frag.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rive Gauche is a great fragrance, but to call it shaving cream is superficial at best.

Maybe it is similar to Barbasol for a minute, but the drydown is much more intricate.

I have the regular one and also the intense version, both in a can, and I find them very close and absolutely great ! Longevity and projection are top on me. I had also in the past the light version but I prefer the more concentrated ones.
    The can version can be found very easily on line ; buy it before it disappears !

Once again, one of my posts never appeared here.
    So I'll try again.... can anyone state whether the "Intense" version of RG is actually stronger/longer lasting than the original?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A truly great scent.
    That sums it up for me!!

Just did some research, and my question about the intense version might be irrelevant, as I can't find the intense version for sale anywhere. Only intense version of RG available at a few places is the women's RG.
    So Azzaro PH it will be, as my RG substitute for better longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Just did some research, and my question about the intense version might be irrelevant, as I can't find the intense version for sale anywhere. Only intense version of RG available at a few places is the women's RG.
    So Azzaro PH it will be, as my RG substitute for better longevity.
    Rive Gauche is deceptive IMO.
    Longevity and sillage is better and stronger than you might perceive.
    I once did 3 sprays on a hot day and I can tell you, it was a nuclear bomb.
    I was also convinced that it doesn't have good longevity and sillage... not anymore.
    I realised that the strength and diffusion is just perfect.
    You don't want this aroma to project heavily.
    It should surround you softly. When you walk by people will get a whiff and be amazed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Rive Gauche is a great fragrance, but to call it shaving cream is superficial at best.

Maybe it is similar to Barbasol for a minute, but the drydown is much more intricate.
    I didn't call it ordinary "shaving cream" like Gillette.
    I was talking about it in a positive way.
    The scent of the best shaving cream in the world.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 19th January 2013 at 03:03 PM.

[QUOTE=Suppressor;2818110]Rive Gauche is deceptive IMO.
    Longevity and sillage is better and stronger than you might perceive.
    I once did 3 sprays on a hot day and I can tell you, it was a nuclear bomb.
    I was also convinced that it doesn't have good longevity and sillage... not anymore.
    I realised that the strength and diffusion is just perfect.
    You don't want this aroma to project heavily.
    It should surround you softly. When you walk by people will get a whiff and be amazed.

[QUOTE]
    I agree with you when you say that Rive Gauche is deceptive ; I think the same thing about Azzaro Pour Homme. When I wear one of these, I reach a point after several hours where I feel that the scent is gone but in fact I am still surrounded by an amazing aura of fragrance.

Oh god, I just had a terrible shock with this. I went to order from my online store of choice, and they had just gone out of stock today. Managed to get it at another online store for a similar price (around £30 for 125ml), but it really does reinforce the fact that this is quickly vanishing from the shelves.

If you like this, it's time to stock up. We could have another M7 on our hands with this one...

i love this scent but i find the top and mid notes to be too old for me (i'm 19) so i commonly spray in the mornings so then it would have dried down for the evening which is when i find the scent becomes more "young" and acceptable for my age
    Last edited by sunny5011; 19th January 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    ...........In the drydown, it reminds me a bit of Aventus minus the fruit.........
    I agree. Rive Gauche pour Homme is a great one. Far more satisfying than Aventus, or any other Creed for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny5011 View Post
    i love this scent but i find the top and mid notes to be too old for me (i'm 19) so i commonly spray in the mornings so then it would have dried down for the evening which is when i find the scent becomes more "young" and acceptable for my age
    I agree that the drydown is the best part of this fragrance.
    FYI, I'm 24.
    I remember wearing it to university while wearing a suit.
    The female teachers were almost literally dropping their panties. LOL
    Impressive stuff.
    I haven't met anyone yet who is not impressed while I wear this.
    Hell, even I am impressed if I haven't worn it for a long time.

This stuff's awesome!

I have it in the can, and wish the longevity was better. May have to go with the somewhat similar Azzaro PH to get the longevity I require of a frag.
    Funny, I wore them together once and it was only then I realised how close they were in many ways. It was only after Azzaro faded away that I really noticed the classic RG drydown. On me it lasts longer than Azzaro (and longer than the vast majority of scents.)

- - - Updated - - -

Funny, I wore them together once and it was only then I realised how close they were in many ways. It was only after Azzaro faded away that I really noticed the classic RG drydown. On me it lasts longer than Azzaro (and longer than the vast majority of scents.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Bastard double post again.

I find that Azzaro pour Homme has less longevity than Rive Gauche pour Homme. As well, not as strong. ( I like both, for what it is worth).

Regarding the RGph Intense, I have not noticed it lasting longer than the original. Both last the entire day for me ( which is plenty of hours !). With the Intense, the patchouli is more at the forefront).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Always read this had a very dated smell to it, more geared for the 50+ crowd. I need to check this out since i've been looknig for somethign similiar that has the peformance this appears to have

- - - Updated - - -

Always read this had a very dated smell to it, more geared for the 50+ crowd. I need to check this out since i've been looknig for somethign similiar that has the peformance this appears to have

Ditto.
    Maybe it's just my skin, which is admittedly very dry, but after the initial blast of RG, fifteen minutes later I get.....nothing. I can barely smell it on myself, unless I press my nose to my arm.
    (Very recently, had unfortunately the same experience with Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree: a lemon blast, and a short time later.....nada, zip, as if I sprayed on scented water).

Might need to start looking at masculine fragrance bombs.

Love Love Love RGPH, and Azzaro PH is awesome as well. But I like the opening blast of RG more. It's bright and sparkly anise is a great pick me up on a dreary work morning. This thread is making me want to look for just one more tin can. I get a little panicky knowing this will be unavailable (or very expensive) soon.

Perfume Diary has it for around $40 for 125 ml.

I got this off a swap. Liked it, but never loved it. So I'm actually swapping my bottle now for a decant of a fragrance I've grown to love: Creed's Royal Oud! YESSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    Perfume Diary has it for around $40 for 125 ml.
    Just checked. I didnt see it. Where else can I find it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Amazon has it, looks like it's gone up a bit. It's $40 now, but free shipping. Still a great deal

One of my favorite fragrances, maybe my top2 of all time.

I also have the intense (sweeter and more patchouli) and the light (more woodsy) but i find the regular just perfect as it is.
    The intense and light are not stronger or weaker by any means, they are just variations and the "sense" is that they are more night or morning fragrances.

What type of feedback do you all get with this one? I can imagine older women liking it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    What type of feedback do you all get with this one? I can imagine older women liking it a lot
    some say i smell like an old man, some say i smell like aveda products, and some say i smell amazing!

To me it is definitely a more mature scent. I like it but not love it. Himalaya is a better soapy scent IMO.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    Just checked. I didnt see it. Where else can I find it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.perfumediary.com/mens-col...che-02730.html
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I have had positive responses from everyone so far. I don't think this smells dated at all, it certainly doesn't smell like it belongs to any specific era's trend in scents. It's a clean, well-groomed sort of scent, one that complements anything from sharp casual to formal attire.

Great fragrance.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

It's my SOTD from a sample. I dabbed a little on my wrist last night and I was blown away. I have high expectations for the full wearing.

- - - Updated - - -

I was only a few hours into my first full wearing of this when I knew it was going to be part of my collection. The 10 hr. plus longevity was just another plus.

I wore it for the first time in the office yesterday. After the anise opening, I thought it wasn't bad and could actually handle and like it. Then, the other spices came in the middle stage (which lasted a long time), and I found it a little heavy for me. The dry down was really nice, cooled down, with a little soapy vibe. It lasted a long time on my skin and was still lingering 16 hours later. I just wish there was a lighter version of this. Will give it another full wearing next week before I decide if I should buy a full can.

Maybe I'm the only one on this whole board who didn't like it. I tested the tin can version last week, and personally just found it way too strong and sharp for my liking. And IMHO it did come off as a little dated smelling to me. I was expecting something a little more fresh, but I think I just found the anise overpowering.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I got this off a swap. Liked it, but never loved it. So I'm actually swapping my bottle now for a decant of a fragrance I've grown to love: Creed's Royal Oud! YESSS!!!
    I'm with you there dude. I just grabbed a bottle of Royal Oud this week. I'm really digging it. Probably the smoothest Creed I've smelled (though inapropriately named).