Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I wore this a couple times all weekend - what a complex and fascinating fragrance this is.

First of all, it's not really a summer fragrance at all. Still, I sampled it always when I was inside (air conditioned) and it's heavy, multi-layered, soft transition from top notes to base notes conveyed a honeyed, skillful blending.

Kind of like a Guerlain? After reading thru some reviews, it seems that I'm not the only one who gets a feel of a Guerlain from this scent (is the vanilla?).

Do any of you Guerlain fans agree with me?

Default Re: Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I agree with you, Mike - though I don't detect much vanilla until the dry-down. To me there's a heavy amber and fruity presence initially with a hint of rose.

Apparently there's patchouli in it as well, though as you say - the skillful blending really doesn't make any one particular note jump out and scream.

<Shameless Plug> I'm selling a nearly full bottle for somebody who found it a bit too heavy for her tastes after discovering Givenchy's Vetyver.

Interesting--I didn't get much of a Guerlain vibe when I tried it. However, I can see the connection, given that it's complex and layered like the best Guerlains.

On me, I really liked the fleshy aspect, but it had a note that tends to be a bit dissonant--the best I can describe it is a salty celery note. Oh well, that it didn't work on me 100% is better for my wallet, anyhow.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Interesting -- I 'd put it next to Chanel Rue Cambon or AdP Profumo. Guerlain did not really comes to mind for me!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I'm going to agree with BlackCat on this one. Don't get the Guerlain vibe on this one (or any of the scents from this house). Maybe a bit of Mitsouko on the last wearing.

This is also one where the evil scent twin and I agree - just doesn't sit right on my skin.

My long-term notes on this scent are here.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Basenotes Institution

It's not something I can imagine owning myself. The scent kind of got-under-my-skin though, with it's approach. Nonetheless, I don't imagine I'd reach for it if I owned it. But then again, I could say this about a handful of Guerlain fragrances also.

Basenotes Institution

I loved Jubilation 25 from the moment I tested it but I could not justify shelling out the cash for a full bottle. If I owned this, I am sure it would be one of my favs.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Off-Scenter

Now that I think about it, Jubilation 25 does remind me a bit of my wife's Nahéma parfum. It must be the spicy, "jammy" rose on the vanillic oriental foundation. The Amouage is a darker, heavier scent to my nose, perhaps because of the incense.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Doesn't remind me of anything by Guerlain ( I don't smell a Nahema connection). but there are some I'm sure I've missed testing.

I do find that most of the Amouage fragrances--especially Jubiliation 25, Dia, Gold, Ubar--smell like they weren't born yesterday: generous, confident, elegant, but not flashy.

They have a sort of classic gestalt.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 9th July 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

it has the old world Djedi, Sous les Vent thing happenin' for sure. I think this is one of the best recent frags & OotB frags of last year. It's a little like Tabac Blond in its construction, even though its not the same type of amber.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Interesting -- I 'd put it next to Chanel Rue Cambon or AdP Profumo. Guerlain did not really comes to mind for me!
    Yes, I was going to say Rue Cambon too. The Chanel is the elegant, collected, day time persona and the Amouage her roughed up, darker sister who goes on the razz at night.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

To me, the 25 for women smells a lot like vintage Rochas "Femme."
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    I can see a connection between vintage Femme and Jub 25, although vintage Femme is a lot mossier and plummier whereas Jub 25 is more of an oriental chypre.

Basenotes Institution

Someone just mentioned this to me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I can see a connection between vintage Femme and Jub 25, although vintage Femme is a lot mossier and plummier whereas Jub 25 is more of an oriental chypre.
    I tried non-vintage Rochas Femme and it was a bit rougher than 25, although I could definitely 'sniff' a similar vibe.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

No Guerlain, but a mixture of Diorella and incense. I love it ,love it, love it! (but the price hurts!)

Blog Entries

I think it's closer to vintage Madame Rochas, not Femme so much. Maybe in between the two. It doesn't have the fruit/spice/saffron of Femme. It does have the oriental/chypre aspect, though.

This has been my experience with Jubilation 25 as well. It reminds me of Femme without the spicy opening.

I agree with Nostalgie in that 25 has classic gestalt. It smells like it comes from a classic template formulation. I don't own a bottle but may someday after my decant runs dry. It's an interesting scent but not something I want to wear more than a few times per year.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing the sample of this one again.

I guess I am not that familiar with the oriental chypre category. It seems Jubilation 25 exemplifies this category quite well. There's a definite chypre element to it (I'm reminded of Chypre by Coty), but then there's this fruit and spice element that floats along the top as it warms on skin.

Someone above mentioned Opium, and as this sits on my skin now, I definitely can see what they mean. Maybe it's the myrrh or labdanum?

Now I want to smell Rochas Femme.

So I've been wearing this for a few days already. Prior to this I was wearing the new reformulated Mitsouko EDP. My thoughts between the two are :

I prefer the opening of Jubilation over that of Mitisouko. * However I think I prefer Mitsouko EDP on the drydown. Mitsouko to me is louder and carries more sillage. J25 is more refined but lacks presence.

What I am getting at is do I prefer my $128 bottle of Mitsouko over my $300 bottle of Amouage!

Maybe the NYC winter isn't being fair with my skin and it is a bad time to judge what a fragrance will do ?

Banned

Mitsouko and Jubilation 25 fall both into the same chypre category, but they are very different, and the difference is obvious?
    the oakmoss, Mitsouko is all about dark green humid oak moss, which in EDT version in the drydown goes sharp a bit, masculine like(which i dont sympathize at all, its sweetened heart of peach and some florals....made it very beautiful at the opening for me,

while Jubilation is all about frankincense,smoke, myrrh, and with sweetened base and nice flowers in the heart, beautiful rose...so really they are so different, drydown is sweet amberlike, not bitter mossy like

the only common thing they have is sharpnes, which comes from completely different ingredients in each of them

i prefer Amouage, because i am no fan of mossy notes , unf i pay the price for enjoying more arabian perfumery style then french one