Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau de Lingerie

Overcome By Fumes

Default Eau de Lingerie

So any interesting new perfumes coming out this year?

What?

Eau de Lingerie?

Yeah, right.

Seriously?

The things some of these tacky singers will call their fragrances just to get a sale!

What do you mean, it's not from a celebrity line?

Guerlain!?!

Default Re: Eau de Lingerie

Our French BNers should chime in to explain whether the name sounds in French as it does in English. After all, even Victoria's Secret and Agent Provocateur hadn't yet copyrighted the name.

If only it were what it seems ... but Guerlain has long since said goodbye to its animalics, so that the concept lives only in niche offerings like the Le Labo Oud and similar (but I never smelled the mythical vintage Rose Poivree!)

Instead, it "complements lingerie of any kind, and leaves a subtle impression". Question: will it be sold in the lingerie department or next to La Robe Noir?

cacio

So Eau de Lingerie would translate to water of/from lingerie?

I see what they did there.

for swap/sale:

The fragrance has been designed so that it can blend with any other fragrance and "beautifully complements lingerie of every kind, leaving a light and subtle impression."

Gag. The fact that this announcement was followed by the unveiling of yet another Shalimar flanker (or repackaging of a flanker, as it were) complete with a feather!

I'm just going to start ignoring Guerlain's new releases; they can keep putting out these boring fragrances that sell well and keep them afloat so they can keep producing their classics. It's just hard to watch them put out these fragrances—it feels a bit like they're slumming it...

Soooooo a skin scent than?

Have you seen the bottle?
    If it smells like the bottle promises, I'll keep my nose out of the lingerie...

To me the name sounds more like it is perfume made for lingerie. As in to spray it on your lingerie, or bed clothes, and not on your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    To me the name sounds more like it is perfume made for lingerie. As in to spray it on your lingerie, or bed clothes, and not on your skin.
    That was my first thought, too: a scented rinse water maybe, which I think sounds quite nice. Like using a scented spray for ironing linens (not that I ever do, lol!).

Indeed, that's what the ad says, it's a scent to be applied *on* the lingerie before wearing it. But it would be more interesting the other way around.

cacio

Oh dear. Guerlain has gone from being the doyen of French perfumery to being a common slapper
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The comments on Fragrantica have me howling:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Guer...erie-3967.html

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The comments on Fragrantica have me howling:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Guer...erie-3967.html

30 Roses, it seems like a few people there find the idea repellant or odd. I thought scenting lingerie was fairly common? Of course, I am an old lady so I am probably assuming old practices prevail (sachets?). I think I would use the fragrance in a rinse water, though, rather than spraying directly on fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    That was my first thought, too: a scented rinse water maybe, which I think sounds quite nice. Like using a scented spray for ironing linens (not that I ever do, lol!).
    I understood the same, and it did not surprised me since Guerlain has (or had) issued a linen water called Eau de Lit. It smells so good that I do not use it on my linens, I wear it on my skin.

I definitely would like to try this one, maybe it will also be good enough for my skin.
    Evenstar

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    30 Roses, it seems like a few people there find the idea repellant or odd. I thought scenting lingerie was fairly common? Of course, I am an old lady so I am probably assuming old practices prevail (sachets?). I think I would use the fragrance in a rinse water, though, rather than spraying directly on fabric.
    Translating to Italian as Acqua di Mutande in particular kills me. Mutande = underpants (male or female.)

Then there was this remark by one Fragrantican:
    "How nice. Will they next come out with "Eau de Jockstrap Pour Homme" ?"

Only one thing scents my knicker drawers and that is vintage bars of Maja soap in the black paper wrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Translating to Italian as Acqua di Mutande in particular kills me. Mutande = underpants (male or female.)

Then there was this remark by one Fragrantican:
    "How nice. Will they next come out with "Eau de Jockstrap Pour Homme" ?"
    Tsk tsk! Children.

Alityke, I like Yardley's Lavender soap for closets.

Is it bad that I like the pink foo foo bottle?