Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Egoiste/Platinum Egoiste

Hey, i got today two bottles - Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste (both current formulation), and i compared these two, on a test stripe and on my skin and it turns out :
    Egoiste - hmmm...not so masculine, more femminine (maybe because of the overdosing rose note), like a unisex perfume, it is very sweet, heavy...
    Platinum Egoiste - it starts very harsh, very masculine, cold, classy and arrogant, a 30-40yo bussines man cologne
    The sillage and longeivity are practically the same. They both have greats sprayers.
    I must admit i am more attracted to Platinum Egoiste, as it is to my nose more like the colognes i prefer (Antaeus, G. Gentleman, Kouros, Boss No.1, Escada PH etc.), i thought the original Egoiste would be more masculine.
    Anyone else percived the original Egoiste is little more on the feminine side?

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste/Platinum Egoiste

Your experience is similiar to mine. I like both but dont feel like need any of them.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Are they pretty similar or actually very different? I've only smelled Chanel Egoiste and really enjoyed it. Considering buying a bottle eventually.

Basenotes Plus

Much prefer Egoiste and don't find it at all feminine.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Basenotes Plus

Don't find Egoiste feminine at all.

I read reviews on here about both before I tried them for myself. I think it's safe to say that the consensus of opinions on BN is that Egoist is by far the superior scent. However, I found platinum to be much more pleasing to my nose. Glad I didn't blind buy Egoist. Having said that, platinum wasn't special enough for me to buy. I put Egoist on one arm and platinum on the other. The combination of the two was just "stinky." I'm not sure which was the main culprit. I think it was egoist. I will try platinum again on its own at some point in the future. On this occasion, I made a body swerve towards Aau sauvage and purchased that instead. After smelling many others in the perfume store, it was a breath of fresh air. Not exactly a new cologne I know (being older than me) but it offers the masculine scent that I was looking for.

Out of the Channel range, my favourite by a mile is "Allure homme." Although not popular with base noters, I love it. It's probably my favourite scent of them all. It was the first present my wife gave me and reminds me of a wonderful evening we spent in Madrid. Isn't it great how scents bring back fond memories like nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by totaldominasian View Post
    Are they pretty similar or actually very different? I've only smelled Chanel Egoiste and really enjoyed it. Considering buying a bottle eventually.
    Chalk and cheese, mate. This is another instance (Kouros and Body Kouros being a notable example) where a supposed flanker smells nothing like the original.

I think the OP describes the differences quite well, although I love Egoiste and don't find it feminine (it's a masculine rose, which deviates from the norm of modern frags). I find PE sharp and cheap-smelling (at least for the opening - the drydown is much better) but feel that Egoiste is easily one of the best men's frag in production today.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Egoiste is the better scent but platinum egoiste is safer more versatile and better for wearing.

to my nose the original egoiste is more on the unisex side, as i could read in the reviews and threads a lot of female members wear it, as i said maybe due the rose overload in it...regarding platinum egoiste, to me it's a 90's masculine/mature/bussines man type of cologne, so due to my perfume preferences i like the platinum more.
    it's the same case with alain delon iquitos, some find it on their skin femminine, some don't.

Take some of Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum, tone it down, now add some wood notes; you've got Egoiste (I tried the vintage version today). Clearly, it could be marketed as unsex niche these days. It's a bit too tight and dense for my tastes but I can see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Nor do I.

If you ever decide to sell your egoiste at a good price, i'll take it
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Egoiste is far better than the Platinum version although I like the latter too, and to my nose It's not feminine at all.

Is Egoiste feminine? A bit, but it's a also a very artful fragrance that I admire a lot, though it strikes me as a tad elderly. It isn’t a big winner in the “most female compliments” sweepstakes. Platinum is brilliant but too popular for its own good. I’ve been at both the Macy’s and Saks fragrance counters when a PE sale was underway while I was waiting for the S.A. I found that oddly discouraging.

I like both and perceive both as reasonably masculine.

Find Egoiste masculine, and love it...

Find Platinum Egoiste to be the scent of furniture polish!! I don't dislike it, but not a patch on Egoiste. I still haven't got a clue why they share their name, as they are worlds apart.
    LOST! in scent and music

I'm in agreement with those who find Egoiste not feminine at all.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I like Egoiste but i love and prefer Platinum Egoiste

Blog Entries

I find Egoiste sweet, but manly. One or two sprays usually gives me at least 8-hours of longevity with a very good projection. On the other hand, the Platinum version is too sharp and soapy, and I'm glad it doesn't last/project on my skin. My father likes it though.

Quote Originally Posted by LOST! View Post
    Find Egoiste masculine, and love it...

Find Platinum Egoiste to be the scent of furniture polish!! I don't dislike it, but not a patch on Egoiste. I still haven't got a clue why they share their name, as they are worlds apart.
    +1.

I don´t find Egoiste feminine, also i don´t find Third Man of Caron feminine. For me they are just beautiful and very well done. I love egoiste. About platinum, i hate it... for me is a little common cologne with lot of lemmon, just like those sport colognes that overuses lemmon notes.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have never found Egoiste to be too feminine. I also prefer it over Platinum Egoiste which is more of a barbershop/soapy scent. Though it is clean and refreshing. Classic Egoiste is more classy, dressy, and complex.

For me, Egoiste is very masculine. Its rose note is actually rose oil/extract and is spiced up with cinnamon and ambrette seeds, which gives is a vodka tonic vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Agree

The distinction between masculine and feminine is so tenuous; it's just a matter of taste. They are very different fragrances made for very different audiences. I have personally never found Égoïste at all feminine: of course, I don't smell rose and think feminine. In any case, for me it's all about sweet, creamy sandalwood--I have never felt that there was an overdose of rose in Égoïste. It seems that, for you, a sweet fragrance is a feminine fragrance.

Platinum Égoïste
    , on the other hand, I have never been a huge fan of. It's a competent aromatic fougère, and better than most, but nothing particularly special.

Egoiste is one of my alltime favorites. Deep, complex, manly, stylish, gorgeous and of course smells very good. Especially the drydown.

Platinum Egoiste is also a good scent, but still pale in the comparison to Egoiste. More mainstream and fresh in the 90's style. Maybe easier to like if you are young or used to use frags that are on the fresher side.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!