Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Bleu de Chanel or Gucci Pour Homme ii

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • BdC

17 36.96%
  • GPH2

29 63.04%

Default which of these two versatile scents do you prefer?

Much as it is loathed by many in the BN community, I have grown to really enjoy Bleu de Chanel. I agree that initially it seemed fairly boring and pleasant (a rave review 'pleasant' is not), after working through a 50 ml bottle I had become very fond of it. And one of its strengths is definitely its versatility. I feel it became a safe choice in summer, autumn and winter, day or night.

Anyway, I was about to buy a new bottle of it, but I have become more and more aware of praise given to Gucci Pour Homme 2. I know the notes on these two fragrances are miles apart, but they are both lauded as extremely versatile scents and probably both get tarred with the 'safe' brush (not a problem for me). I guess I have become aware of other people wearing BdC and - not that I'm elitist in anyway - I like to be at least a little different.

So now I'm stuck between these two. I really am intrigued by Gph2's combination of bergamot, black tea and cinammon and like the idea that it is still fresh and green despite some woods and spice. Sounds right up my street, but I KNOW I like BdC's grapefruit, ginger and incense linearity. Very comfortable to wear and the drydown is really great.

(I also looked at Caron's le 3eme Homme, but am slightly scared it is just too floral and 'old man' for me).

So, for those of you that have tested or owned both, which is your preferred choie: Bleu de Chanel or Gucci PH2?

Default Re: which of these two versatile scents do you prefer?

Gucci PH2

GPHII is my number 2 all time scent. Bleu is unspectacular, but I do own it and really like it. I get a nice feeling when I wear it and it's my most worn 'Pub/nights out' scent!

I equally like them both, yet to my nose, GPHII seems to have a slight bit more versatility and complexity.

I have both and agree that they are very versatile but I see Gucci Pour Homme II as more of a daytime scent and Bleu de Chanel I reserve for my nights out.

No way! 5 posts in the thread and 4 positive comments about BdC! Is it a full moon? (Watch the BdC bashing commence now...)

Gphii.

GPHII. One of the best.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Member

BdC is one of only a few bottles I have in 100ml, which is testament to how much I like it and use it.

However I feel that GPHII is more unique.

You can't go wrong with either, or both! They're great fragrances.

if you get another BdC, you'll still looks for another scent, so get GPH II
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Gph ii

GPH II is more unique. It also smells very nice, but doesn't get much attention from the opposite sex.
    Bleu De Chanel is your everyday department fragrance, however it's insane how many women love it.

Honestly, for an everyday scent I would probably take BDC. If I'm looking for something to wear to events (nothing special, just going out with the guys), GPH II would be my choice.
    I own a bottle of GPH II and a sample of BDC.

GPH II is more unique. It also smells very nice, but doesn't get much attention from the opposite sex.
    Bleu De Chanel is your everyday department fragrance, however it's insane how many women love it.

Honestly, for an everyday scent I would probably take BDC. If I'm looking for something to wear to events (nothing special, just going out with the guys), GPH II would be my choice.
    I own a bottle of GPH II and a sample of BDC.

Gphii

I enjoy both.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy both.

Bleu vs. Gucci Pour Homme II: Here's the advice you really need.

IF you haven't had the chance to smell GphII, start there. Spray Bleu on your left wrist and GphII on your right. Live with them for a day. Your nose will let you know which you prefer. Never forget: the nose to trust is your own.

IF you love the smell of Bleu but are considering GphII because strangers on the internet say to buy something else, buy Bleu. Toucan Sam was right: "Follow your nose. It always knows."

IF you've had the chance to smell Bleu and GphII, and IF you enjoy them both equally: Buy GphII. Here's why.

#1: In my opinion, Bleu is great whereas GphII is excellent. That's just my opinion, and since you aren't me, your opinion matters more than mine.

#2: Do you want to stand out, or do you want to fit in? GphII was never a best seller. Bleu is a massive sales hit, and Chanel made a huge investment in advertising it like crazy through the holidays. If a guy got one bottle of cologne for Christmas, he probably unwrapped a bottle of Bleu. I believe it was a top 3 seller among all men's fragrances in the U.S. if not internationally. More sales = more dudes smelling like Bleu, which also means that if you wear Bleu, you have much greater odds of flirting with a woman who notices you smell like her brother, or her uncle or her dad, or worse: the ex who broke her heart. Don't risk it. See also: AdG, which is excellent and reminds women of so many men they know who smell like that.

#3: Rumors swirl that GphII will soon be discontinued. Take a look at Gucci's own website and you'll see it listed, but you'll also see it doesn't fit in with the rest of their men's fragrances. If you end up owning a discontinued fragrance, it makes the odds of smelling it on anyone else even lower, and that makes you smell more unique when you wear it. And That's Awesome!

Bottom line: I'd pick GphII for the reasons I've listed, but you should trust your own nose. Good luck!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I personally would get tired of Gucci PH2 pretty quick if I wore it a lot. I like it and it's kind of classy but there's something about it that just makes it seem like a novelty scent. It doesn't project for long either.
    I think Bleu might be your best bet, as long as you don't mind not standing out from the crowd.

I much prefer GPHII of the two.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

#2: Do you want to stand out, or do you want to fit in? GphII was never a best seller. Bleu is a massive sales hit, and Chanel made a huge investment in advertising it like crazy through the holidays. If a guy got one bottle of cologne for Christmas, he probably unwrapped a bottle of Bleu. I believe it was a top 3 seller among all men's fragrances in the U.S. if not internationally. More sales = more dudes smelling like Bleu, which also means that if you wear Bleu, you have much greater odds of flirting with a woman who notices you smell like her brother, or her uncle or her dad, or worse: the ex who broke her heart. Don't risk it. See also: AdG, which is excellent and reminds women of so many men they know who smell like that.

I have never understood this way of thinking on Basenotes.

The chances that the girl you're on a date with has distinct bad memories with regards to someone wearing BdC or any fragrance is low enough, if you're making conscious decisions to not purchase a fragrance you like based on the idea that your date may experience negative olfactory memories then you need to seriously consider that it's YOU that is supposed to love your fragrance first and foremost.

Do people not shop at high street stores because they may buy an item of clothing that resembles something that an ex may have worn?

If your date is really into you your choice of fragrance is hardly going to make one bit of difference either way, and even on the off chance it does, there's plenty more fish in the sea who will love BdC or any fragrance of your choice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

most basenoters will prefer gucci pour homme ii
    most real-lifers will prefer bleu de chanel

Bleu vs. Gucci Pour Homme II: Here's the advice you really need.

IF you haven't had the chance to smell GphII, start there. Spray Bleu on your left wrist and GphII on your right. Live with them for a day. Your nose will let you know which you prefer. Never forget: the nose to trust is your own.

IF you love the smell of Bleu but are considering GphII because strangers on the internet say to buy something else, buy Bleu. Toucan Sam was right: "Follow your nose. It always knows."

IF you've had the chance to smell Bleu and GphII, and IF you enjoy them both equally: Buy GphII. Here's why.

#1: In my opinion, Bleu is great whereas GphII is excellent. That's just my opinion, and since you aren't me, your opinion matters more than mine.

#3: Rumors swirl that GphII will soon be discontinued. Take a look at Gucci's own website and you'll see it listed, but you'll also see it doesn't fit in with the rest of their men's fragrances. If you end up owning a discontinued fragrance, it makes the odds of smelling it on anyone else even lower, and that makes you smell more unique when you wear it. And That's Awesome!

Bottom line: I'd pick GphII for the reasons I've listed, but you should trust your own nose. Good luck!
    It's good to see some intelligent advice!

gph2

Quote Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
    I have never understood this way of thinking on Basenotes.

The chances that the girl you're on a date with has distinct bad memories with regards to someone wearing BdC or any fragrance is low enough, if you're making conscious decisions to not purchase a fragrance you like based on the idea that your date may experience negative olfactory memories then you need to seriously consider that it's YOU that is supposed to love your fragrance first and foremost.

Do people not shop at high street stores because they may buy an item of clothing that resembles something that an ex may have worn?

If your date is really into you your choice of fragrance is hardly going to make one bit of difference either way, and even on the off chance it does, there's plenty more fish in the sea who will love BdC or any fragrance of your choice.
    Rather than quote one section of my advice out of context, you might want to reread my entire comment.

The first thing I told him was: "Spray Bleu on your left wrist and GphII on your right. Live with them for a day. Your nose will let you know which you prefer. Never forget: the nose to trust is your own."

And the second thing I told him was: "IF you love the smell of Bleu but are considering GphII because strangers on the internet say to buy something else, buy Bleu."

Only after that did I say, IF he liked Bleu and GphII equally and couldn't decide between them, the uniqueness of GphII makes for a compelling reason to buy it instead of Bleu.

Using your example of clothing: I wouldn't want to show up on a date wearing the same jacket her ex wore. I wouldn't want to show up wearing the exact same sunglasses her father wears. But scent is more intimate than clothes. It becomes more a part of you than an item of clothing. You sit down to have drinks and you take the jacket off. Maybe her ex only wore black converse sneakers and you showed up for the date wearing black converse, but when you sit down for drinks, your shoes are under the table, making that detail easier to forget. But scent isn't something you just take off and put in your pocket like sunglasses.

To me, it's as simple as this:

GphII smells great and not many people own it.
    Bleu smells great and tons of people own it.

If you like them both equally, the decision is: do you want the one that's more common, or the one that's more rare? Only you can decide how much you value uniqueness.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

GphII
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Considering price, versatility, uniqueness and feedback of people dear to me it have to be Gucci PH II by 3x universe size.... but get whatever YOU like best.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Member

Rather than quote one section of my advice out of context, you might want to reread my entire comment.

The first thing I told him was: "Spray Bleu on your left wrist and GphII on your right. Live with them for a day. Your nose will let you know which you prefer. Never forget: the nose to trust is your own."

And the second thing I told him was: "IF you love the smell of Bleu but are considering GphII because strangers on the internet say to buy something else, buy Bleu."

Only after that did I say, IF he liked Bleu and GphII equally and couldn't decide between them, the uniqueness of GphII makes for a compelling reason to buy it instead of Bleu.

Using your example of clothing: I wouldn't want to show up on a date wearing the same jacket her ex wore. I wouldn't want to show up wearing the exact same sunglasses her father wears. But scent is more intimate than clothes. It becomes more a part of you than an item of clothing. You sit down to have drinks and you take the jacket off. Maybe her ex only wore black converse sneakers and you showed up for the date wearing black converse, but when you sit down for drinks, your shoes are under the table, making that detail easier to forget. But scent isn't something you just take off and put in your pocket like sunglasses.

To me, it's as simple as this:

GphII smells great and not many people own it.
    Bleu smells great and tons of people own it.

If you like them both equally, the decision is: do you want the one that's more common, or the one that's more rare? Only you can decide how much you value uniqueness.
    I read your entire comment and I agreed with most of it, it was just the 'avoiding a fragrance because of the small chance an ex wore it' I don't understand, I see it all the time on BN I just happened to reply to yours.

I don't think people should be scare mongered into avoiding fragrances they like just because they're popular. Chances are you're going to have more than one date in your life, but you might only really love a few fragrances. A fragrance is an extension of your personality so if your date is so narrow minded as to not see past your mainstream frag that an ex once wore, they're probably not worth any more of your time.

Same applies with clothing or personality, if you feel have to have to change them up or hide them entirely for one date then why are you even bothering? You can only keep your actual self from someone for so long. You can stand out wearing BdC or ADG, wearing levis or nike, you just have to be yourself.

I don't really take uniqueness into consideration when purchasing a fragrance, if I like two the same it would come down to versatility as I would like to make the most out of my fragrances rather than having tonnes of seasonal or occasional fragrances.

Just remember, fragrances are for you to enjoy first!

I own and like both of these but the problem I have with GPHII is that on my skin it has abysmal sillage and longevity. At most I get about 2 to 3 hours out of it. In contrast Blue de Chanel lasts all day and I can easily smell it without having to sniff my wrist.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Gph2

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here