Code of Conduct

Default Worth trying feminine MPGs

Hi, I own and love several "masculine" frags from MPG (Santal Noble, Parfum d'Habit, Ambre Precieux, Baime, Centaure, Iris Bleu Gris, Jardin du Nil and waiting for Route du Vetiver, Grain de Plaisir, Secret Melange and Eau des Iles). Amongst their "feminine" frags, I already own Secrete Datura, that I like a lot and Or des Indes that I really love. Despite I know and follow the rule that perfumes don't have gender, MPG seems to demarcate a lot the characteristics between their masculine and feminine labeled frags: while masculine are bold and presenting a delightful rawness, both feminine frags I own are lighter, breezier and more blended in comparison. With this in mind, what are the best and most original "feminine" frags from MPG? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Worth trying feminine MPGs

I find their masculine line, surprisingly enough, more inspired, original and better executed, also for women of course . Having said that I would not want to miss Or des Indes and in particular their Jasmin, which is formidable. In fact it is my jasmine soliflore holy grail. For hot summer nights!

Any tuberose MPGs?

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Any tuberose MPGs?
    Tubereuse. Can't tell you much about it other than the notes:

Tuberose absolut, roses, leafy green accords, Jasmine absolut, Musc, ambergris.

Sorry, I haven't tried it either, hedonist!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I find their masculine line, surprisingly enough, more inspired, original and better executed, also for women of course . Having said that I would not want to miss Or des Indes and in particular their Jasmin, which is formidable. In fact it is my jasmine soliflore holy grail. For hot summer nights!
    Thanks for this suggestion. I'm researching about Jasmin and found that there are EDT and EDP versions? Which one do you recommend me?

It's always the same juice. There is only one version. I think they were all originally labeled as EdT despite having always been an EdP concentration. I bought a new back-up bottle locally at my store (It came from Paris only a while before.) and I tested it with one spritz. It smells perfect just like my bottle in use, which is a couple of years old I assume. So, don't worry! Jasmin is one of their more expensive ones BTW.

- - - Updated - - -

Wearing Jasmin now... there is nothing extravagant here. A plain jasmine, but smelling very natural, not overpowering, lovely faceted by the other notes. A dry jasmine with a hint of smoke and leather at the edges. While I love it at hot summer nights, I must say it is very uplifting on this cold winter morning. I think it is fantastic and the best jasmine soliflore around.

Overcome By Fumes

Soie Rouge is wonderful.

I have Fleurs d'Iris which I got in a swap, very wet green iris.
    I also have Secrete Datura which is rich heady and wonderful.

Have to say I actually do like the male MPGs much more.
    DONNA

My pick mong the MPG feminines would be Eau De Parfum De George Sand. A dark, earthy and etremely perfumey concoction of patchouli and rose...Adore!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Unfortunately George Sand is discontinued, there is another fragrance named the same but very very different.

I have a large decant of the MPG George Sand. Many compare it to a mix of Opium and Coco or Youth Dew and Coco.
    DONNA

Cuir Fétiche is a fantastic leather and ambergris composition somewhere between the modern Cuir de Russie (Chanel) and Knize Ten.

Fleurs des Comores is L'Artisan Parfumeur's iconic and discontinued oriental Vanilia reworked (slightly richer in the heart and sharper up top).

Jasmin is an in-your-face, gorgeous jasmine soliflore.

I'll have a chance to go through the line tomorrow so I'll update with anything that I missed, I'm working from memory here and I must confess that I too have neglected the MPG feminines.

Secrete Datura was my first MPG. I wore and enjoyed both Soie Rouge (light carnation fragrance, with the old school feeling to it) and Or des Indes (sandalwood and amber), I swapped away Fleur d'Iris (too musky for me, not enough iris, just plain musky rose). I thought at a time -- back in 2006 -- I tried everything they had and was not keen on buying a single bottle. This year I am planning to retest Freesia d'Or.

Rose Muskissime is a great fragrance.

Oh gosh, so many interesting frags!! Jasmin is already in my wish list... Thanks Larimar

Soie Rouge really seems interesting. I will get a sample cause I don't know if SR is distant enough from Bellodgia.

Donna255, how different is Fleur d'Iris from Iris Bleu Gris? Secrete Datura was my scent of the day and must say that each time I wear it more I enjoy. So many times I got myself smelling my own arm...

Fleurs des Comores is also in my list to test, it seems really promising. I will test also Cuir Fetiche but it doesn't seem that could occupy a space in my wardrobe... I love leather but have a decant of Cuir de Russie (and will certainly get more) and will also get some Knize Ten and CF could be redundant...

George Sand seems to receive lots of attention here... I found that this frag is now sold by the house of the nose: Nicolas de Barry, but the information that it's different now is new to me.

Please Darvant, speak more about Rose Muskissime.. this seems to be really excellent. I read that there are more muskissimes in the line (Sanguine and Fraicheur)... are there quite different amongst them or the musk base is similar??

I'm also curious about Eau de Mure, Eau de Camelia Chinois and Jardin Blanc... if someone could give some information about them I'd be very grateful.

I bought my first bottle of Jasmin here from the Basenotes Marketplace - together with a bottle of Jardin Blanc. Now that is a rather weird one. It is very lush and I can detect tuberose, jasmine, but I am not familiar enough with honeysuckle. What makes it rather special is that it has - lacking a better description - a kind of chamomile tea vibe. It's unique, it's good, but I think it only works in a warm climate (because of the chamomile tea note).

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    My pick mong the MPG feminines would be Eau De Parfum De George Sand. A dark, earthy and etremely perfumey concoction of patchouli and rose...Adore!
    +1 on George Sand, a rich rose patchouli!

I would also recommend Magnolia Pourpre if they have it. This is a vanilla floral with just a hint of leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm surprised you don't have Racine - wonderful woody vetiver notes. Of the feminine range, Soie Rouge with its sumptious pulpy red fruits and the apricots stand out in this; Jardin de Neroli - oranges, jasmine and sandalwood for a sun drenched mediteranean fix; George Sand for its outstanding old school lemon, rose, patchouly which to me is such a masculine woody -very unisex. Fleurs D'iris is very unlike Iris Bleu as it is rather sweet, very floral and fades to a somewhat musky base - nothing like the leather notes in IB. Tubereuse starts off rather green, floral but does settle down really lovely - very tempted by this. Eau de Camelia Chinois - a light tea infused scent with banana notes I believe, couldn't smell that note but really uplifting fresh notes. Noticed that you are from Brazil - look no further than the exotic, fresh and fun Bahiana - crisp ctrus, woody with an ambery and coconut base - it was a tribute to Brazil - very unisex and although very tropical, it is a lighter skin scent. A magnificent house which I took to immediately and most of the range is interesting Jardin Blanc with white florals, Fleur de Comores with its tribute to vanilla and jasmine and I was given a huge decant bottle of Sanguine Muskissime with a burst of succulent blood oranges, musk and sandalwood - so refreshing. Enjoy your discoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by aaz View Post
    I'm surprised you don't have Racine - wonderful woody vetiver notes. Of the feminine range, Soie Rouge with its sumptious pulpy red fruits and the apricots stand out in this; Jardin de Neroli - oranges, jasmine and sandalwood for a sun drenched mediteranean fix; George Sand for its outstanding old school lemon, rose, patchouly which to me is such a masculine woody -very unisex. Fleurs D'iris is very unlike Iris Bleu as it is rather sweet, very floral and fades to a somewhat musky base - nothing like the leather notes in IB. Tubereuse starts off rather green, floral but does settle down really lovely - very tempted by this. Eau de Camelia Chinois - a light tea infused scent with banana notes I believe, couldn't smell that note but really uplifting fresh notes. Noticed that you are from Brazil - look no further than the exotic, fresh and fun Bahiana - crisp ctrus, woody with an ambery and coconut base - it was a tribute to Brazil - very unisex and although very tropical, it is a lighter skin scent. A magnificent house which I took to immediately and most of the range is interesting Jardin Blanc with white florals, Fleur de Comores with its tribute to vanilla and jasmine and I was given a huge decant bottle of Sanguine Muskissime with a burst of succulent blood oranges, musk and sandalwood - so refreshing. Enjoy your discoveries.
    Hello there aaz,

Nice to hear about the femme MPGs, which don't get as much play as the men's. I think I'm going to order decants of the Tubereuse and Jardin Blanc, as I've been interested in them for a while. Also leaning towards Soie Rouge, from your description. As for the Sanguine Muskissime, have you tried the "Extravagante" version that came out a couple of years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by aaz View Post
    Hello there aaz,

Nice to hear about the femme MPGs, which don't get as much play as the men's. I think I'm going to order decants of the Tubereuse and Jardin Blanc, as I've been interested in them for a while. Also leaning towards Soie Rouge, from your description. As for the Sanguine Muskissime, have you tried the "Extravagante" version that came out a couple of years ago?

Hey Jardanel, glad you found interest in the feminine MPGs, really great line of offerings and I don't see why they should not have more attention. The biggest difference between the male and female offerings are that the male scents tend to be more in the aromatic woody or leathery categories generally and the female ones are mostly in the citrus florals - I mention generally as there are exceptions of course. The Tubereuse is beatiful and I'm not going to compare this to other makes but it does stand very grandly on its own despite not being a soliflore scent. If you are into roses, from memory, their Rose Opulente is like a whiff of wonderful old fashioned roses in a very grande dame manner and as mentioned several times, Secrete Datura is simply a stunning mix of citrus and a heady mix of florals to resemble the datura flower and I believe there is a chocolate note in the base notes - I do have a bottle in the origianl design in the somewhat Lalique styled bottle. The incomparable Or des Indes is one of the best oriental scents I love, so smooth and as the caption mentioned, it is just like silk and surprisiingly has very masculine nuances. I haven't tried the 'Extravagante' Sanguine but love the normal strength - sometimes find orange notes can be cloying if it is in a higher concentration and if it lingers on for too long but won't hesitate to try that - on the other hand, Jardin du Neroli does represent all the glory of orange flowers, jasmine and sandalwood. The while florals in Jardin Blanc are simply breath taking and Fleurs de Comores does include tuberose as well

I love Soie Rouge. Secrete Datura and Jardin Blanc are also FBs in my stable. I have little bottles of Fleur D'Iris and Racine, but they are both too high pitched for me.
    Soie Rouge is just a fabulous carnation

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    Oh gosh, so many interesting frags!! Jasmin is already in my wish list... Thanks Larimar

Soie Rouge really seems interesting. I will get a sample cause I don't know if SR is distant enough from Bellodgia.

Donna255, how different is Fleur d'Iris from Iris Bleu Gris? Secrete Datura was my scent of the day and must say that each time I wear it more I enjoy. So many times I got myself smelling my own arm...

Fleurs des Comores is also in my list to test, it seems really promising. I will test also Cuir Fetiche but it doesn't seem that could occupy a space in my wardrobe... I love leather but have a decant of Cuir de Russie (and will certainly get more) and will also get some Knize Ten and CF could be redundant...

George Sand seems to receive lots of attention here... I found that this frag is now sold by the house of the nose: Nicolas de Barry, but the information that it's different now is new to me.

Please Darvant, speak more about Rose Muskissime.. this seems to be really excellent. I read that there are more muskissimes in the line (Sanguine and Fraicheur)... are there quite different amongst them or the musk base is similar??

I'm also curious about Eau de Mure, Eau de Camelia Chinois and Jardin Blanc... if someone could give some information about them I'd be very grateful.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The Bleu is dry and woody, the Fleur is green and has a almost wet juicy feeling going on. I feel the Fleur is more suited to the spring and summer.
    DONNA