Code of Conduct

Default I prefer Zino/ Il Profumo's Patchouli Noir & Carven Homme To ...

I prefer vintage Zino, Il Profumo's Patchouli Noir & Carven Homme to GIT/Aventus & basically anything 'fresh'...Does this make me unrefined, inexperienced and in general an all around bad person?

Also,

Can anyone recommend other fragrances along the lines of Zino/ Carven (bearing in mind that I own BDP) to help a guy move further down that road?

Further, how the &*#! is it that perfumers were able to make fragrances like Zino in the 80's at such a low price point, that (quality wise) are so far beyond many of today's $200 bottles?

Thanks!
    Last edited by srellim1; 19th January 2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Default Re: I prefer Zino/ Il Profumo's Patchouli Noir & Carven Homme To ...

Quote Originally Posted by srellim1 View Post
    I prefer vintage Zino, Il Profumo's Patchouli Noir & Carven Homme to GIT/Aventus & basically anything 'fresh'...Does this make me unrefined, inexperienced and in general an all around bad person?
    Of course not.
    Last edited by hednic; 19th January 2013 at 07:31 PM.

It's what ever you prefer.

This was just a pale attempt at humor on my part.
    I do wonder how it is that fragrances seemed to be so much more complete way back when (I know that IFRA standards likely come into play here).

If I love Zino, can anyone suggest a few others in that vein?
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Dependent

I don't think highly at all of Creeds from GIT on either. Too synthetic, conservative and boring compositions. (GIT was certainly not conservative at the time though. I just hate dihydromyrcenol.)

I also think Zino is pretty close to a masterpiece. Carven Homme is a bit milder and sweeter, not as much to my liking. There are a lot of frags that sort of branch out from there (mostly from that era) . . . you need to be more specific about what it is about them that you like -- accords etc. if possible.

Thank you for the great response. I am certainly not Creed bashing as I own and enjoy a few, though I never really feel as though they 'hit the spot'.

With Carven, I think that I enjoy the spicy Juniper/Lavender in the opening to mid quite a bit and I sense a great sweet tobacco pushing through. The dry down is nice but is not very strong and does not seem to last long on my skin. This may be the used vintage bottle that I purched for $6 though. Overall great, but nowhere near the same league as Zino to me.

Zino feels like a 'grail' scent to me. It took a little while to love the chaotic floral opening, but I do now. The patchouli/ sandalwood accord mixed with the rosewood/ tobacco in the drydown is likely what does it for me (though I am not a fan of rose prominent fragrances)...along with the subtle sweet tobacco that it leaves on clothing.

Have not yet tried vintage Heritage or vintage Givanchy Gentleman.
    Last edited by srellim1; 19th January 2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Heritage is a less erotic Zino.

- - - Updated - - -

To add my recommendation, try Jazz (the original). It's not the opulent scent Zino is (or that similar), but I find it portrays that same slightly dirty, masculine, rich fragrance for a great day time fragrance.
    Last edited by gimpy; 19th January 2013 at 09:35 PM.

I prefer vintage Zino, Il Profumo's Patchouli Noir & Carven Homme to GIT/Aventus & basically anything 'fresh'...Does this make me unrefined, inexperienced and in general an all around bad person?...
    Unrefined ? No.

Inexperienced ? No, and if you were, one would not be able to tell by your great taste in fragrances.

An all around bad person ? Sadly, yes. But it has more to do with all the things you did in the 80s. You know, the drugs, the booze, the stolen sports car, the guys you beat up, the women you never called back.....etc. Don't pretend you don't remember .

Can anyone recommend other fragrances along the lines of Zino/ Carven (bearing in mind that I own BDP) to help a guy move further down that road?...
    Guerlain Heritage EDP ( any formula...vintage or current)
    Histoires des Parfumes Noir Patchouli ( not to be confused with the Il Profumo Patchouli Noir...this one is more darker).
    Ulrich Lang Nightscape
    Donna Karan Fuel for Men

Hope that helps Thats all that come to mind at the moment, but I know there is more.

Further, how the &*#! is it that perfumers were able to make fragrances like Zino in the 80's at such a low price point, that (quality wise) are so far beyond many of today's $200 bottles?...
    The bottom line of the company. The accountants. The boss. The shareholders. The worth of the company. The value of a good fragrance to more people ( including those that work for the company). Pride in the work a company puts out ( seems like this is all gone). Changing Aesthetics.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    To add my recommendation, try Jazz (the original). It's not the opulent scent Zino is (or that similar), but I find it portrays that same slightly dirty, masculine, rich fragrance for a great day time fragrance.
    Looking forward to the Jazz sample on its way to me now! Hoping it doesn't have a smoky leather thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    The bottom line of the company. The accountants. The boss. The shareholders. The worth of the company. The value of a good fragrance to more people ( including those that work for the company). Pride in the work a company puts out ( seems like this is all gone). Changing Aesthetics.
    Well put
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 20th January 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Bois 1920: 1920 Extreme
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Definitely not unrefined, firstly, because scents are a very personal choice anyway and secondly also because, at least what Zino is concerned, this scent belong to that kind of category that is anything but unrefined (at least as far as my nose is concerned, layers and layers of various complex, elaborate notes reward my senses every time I get a whiff of this one).

Thank you again for the great responses. I do suppose that like any other art form, perfumery will suffer when a financial bottom line and the quest for mass acceptance become factors.

I will certainly give Heritage, 1920 Extreme and Jazz a try. M7 excluded, I have not had a ton of luck with most YSL fragrances (though my experience has mostly been with their modern offerings). Would love to hear Monkeybars' opinion on that as I think that we may have similar tastes and are in the same city (climate). Heritage does sound quite appealing.

As I had stated earlier, Zino really does feel like a 'grail' scent to me. I find that it to be quite different from wearing to wearing, with different facets revealing themselves at different times.

I know that I had either worn it, or been close to someone who wore it regularly in the 80's or 90's. It was a scent that I had been looking for and an accord in the drydown had been in the back of my mind as my interest in fragrances grew.

I came across a bottle at a friend's apartment last year and hmmmmm. After doing the research here, I purchased a 1oz several months ago. After my first full wearing, I immediately purchased a 125ml script bottle.

So funny that after spending so much on so many niche bottles, one learns that magic can be found for $26.99!

I don't quite have the vocabulary yet to get more specific with the accords, etc... so basically as far as recommendations are concerned I think that what I am saying is gimme some more of that!
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

double post
    Last edited by srellim1; 20th January 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir