Code of Conduct

Default Recommend My 3rd and Final OUD Fragrance?

Dear Friends,
    I've both Amouage Epic Man and Dior Leather Oud in my collection, which is heavily oud based, i love both of this so much because these capture the the agarwood smoke so wonderfully, and the geranium note in epic man adds that metallic vibe when the transitions into the sandalwood base begins, absolutely bewitching! - to complete a trio i would need your recommendation! again i am leaning towards Dark Aoud by Montale heard a lot of good things about Xerjoff as well but sampling is difficult for both this brands where i am at - i am also concerned about the pairing of rose or florals which really puts me off; in my opinion i just did not like Khallab by Ajmal (rose-oud) and some of the Kilians except Incense Oud, which i found lovely but lacking in projection and sillage on my skin, will you kind fellows give me some recommendations? Budget is around 300 USD.

Other Oud based fragrance i didnt quite like, Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud (milky) and Montale's Black Aoud (too much sandalwood)

Thank a lot!

Default Re: Recommend My 3rd and Final OUD Fragrance?

Order Oud Stars pack from Xerjoff, fits in your budget perfectly and has plenty of difference in the fragrances, heavy in Gao, sweet in Al-Khatt, fresh in Fars, overall awesone in Zafar and of course is a lot cheaper compared with a full bottle of any. I like Joe Malone - Velvet Rose and Oud also

I haven't tried the Xerjoffs but I believe you're in the right track, both Dark Aoud and Incense Oud are great, I'd go for Montale since you already have Epic Man that has incense and oud like the By Kilian.

A Montale oud seems the natural next step - and it's way below the budget. Interesting you find Black Aoud sandalwoody - to me it's about the rose, the sandalwoody one is Lime aoud.

If you like metallic, then you should try the Histoires de Parfums ones. Scents of departure Dubai is a nice metallic oud, sort of a like a lite version of the more striking Petroleum. Petroleum smells like a dark, damp cave full of minerals - striking but perhaps unwearable. Dubai tones down the idea, which then becomes wearable. I own Rosam, which is a rose + metallic oud. Avoid the ghastly Ambrarem.

cacio

Aoud Ever byMontale

Basenotes Plus

Micallef Aoud N°1 by Parfümerie Brückner.

Armani Prive Royal Oud
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Have you tried Aoud Cuir D'Arabie from Montale? Tobacco, leather and Oudh. Very complex.

Have you considered trying real Oud oil? Agaraura has some great oils at the moment. I started off trying to find better and better imitation oud scents, but when I discovered the real deal, it opened up a whole new avenue of appreciation.

Tom Ford Oud Wood

Kilian - Pure Oud
    Ramon Monegal - Agar Musk

Killians rose oud
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    I've been eyeing this as well - but sample is so difficult to come by, thinking of taking the plunge -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kocy View Post
    Order Oud Stars pack from Xerjoff, fits in your budget perfectly and has plenty of difference in the fragrances, heavy in Gao, sweet in Al-Khatt, fresh in Fars, overall awesone in Zafar and of course is a lot cheaper compared with a full bottle of any. I like Joe Malone - Velvet Rose and Oud also
    Yes, indeed i think this is the bes logical step forward, i get 6x15 = 90ml and quite a good variety, but are these with atomizers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Have you considered trying real Oud oil? Agaraura has some great oils at the moment. I started off trying to find better and better imitation oud scents, but when I discovered the real deal, it opened up a whole new avenue of appreciation.
    I have and unfortunately i find most of these un wearable, and the better ones are usually cloying or just too sweet (the rose+amber effect)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    Armani Prive Royal Oud
    Oud Royal, you mean sir - Royal Oud is by CREED.
    Last edited by benzganesh; 20th January 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Micallef Aoud N°1 by Parfümerie Brückner.
    This one, without a doubt in my mind.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

some suggestions...

Aoud Cuir D'Arabie
    Zafar
    Abdes Salaam Attar Oud Caravan

For something more refined and less challenging, Songe D'Un Bois D'Etè.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Aoud Cuir D'Arabie
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Yeah they are with atomizers, I think you can double check with them before you buy also.

I'd go with the Xerjoff pack (yes, the 15ml bottles have atomizers) from MiN with their discount (assuming it still applies)... $200, then get in on a LeLabo Oud 27 split with Monica... $85(?), then use the change for either several Al Rehab Oudy 1/4 tolas OR use it for a 4ml Tom Ford Oud Wood sample (ebay?).

Thanks guys, i think i'll go with Xerjoff Oud Stars Sampler Pack = i guess given its strength 15ml of each goes a long way, my girlfriend is also very bent on getting Oud Wood by Tom Ford for me, so i guess i'll close my Oud Chapter with two of the above mentioned and call it a day -

For instance Deeply Maria Lux, New York Oud Bond, Les Nombres d'Or Oud Mona di Orio, Secret Oud Caron, Aoud Musk Montale, Amouage Homage.

Kilian's pure oud. Exemplary.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Oud Luban by Aftelier
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

+ 1 Xerjoff Oud Discovery set- Najaf, Gao, Zafar ate all great. After that its a toss up between Dorin Oud, Harrods Oud and Robert Piguets Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    For instance Deeply Maria Lux, New York Oud Bond, Les Nombres d'Or Oud Mona di Orio, Secret Oud Caron, Aoud Musk Montale, Amouage Homage.
    Thanks a lot Darvant; my problem is i have no way i can sample this since i am in olfactory 3rd world, Malaysia.
    Out of ones you mentioned i did not like New York Oud, it was just too sweet, and had way too much roses; i am usually bent on dry-agarwood fragrance, though i did love Montale's Aoud Musk and it is on my list, but just not yet as i have Amouage Opus VI with identical if not a 50% similar style, i know aoud musk and opus vi are not similar to each other neither do they smell like each other. but two of this put me in the same mood; when compared to Aoud Musk, i preferred Opus VI; - i will take your advice and sample Homage.

If you like kilian incense oud then you might enjoy amouage interlude, it has a great incense opening.

I'm testing MFK's Oud Velvet on my skin this morning, and it's very nice (and very natural-smelling). It has the oddness I've been led to expect of oud (a bit of iodine, a little rubbery, a little balsamic). It's also reasonably austere, in that he hasn't added much more to the composition (some saffron, I believe). I'm going to try Oud Cashmere soon as well. In any case, I'd say his new oud trio is worth trying.

Meantime, I'll toss in another vote for Dark Aoud. It's both rough (has a quality of being a little uncontrolled) and delicious.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Kilian's pure oud. Exemplary.
    I would second this recommendation, but from your original post it's not clear whether you've already tried and rejected it. If it were my money I'd spend it for Pure Oud in a heartbeat. There's no better oud (in my highly subjective and biased opinion). Montale Dark is another great oud, but it's not in the same class as Pure.
    I like your choice of Dior Leather Oud. Epic is a great fragrance though I think of it more as a frankincense fragrance than an oud. I, like you, do not care for MFK Oud or for Montale Black Aoud and I, like you, am not into rose ouds in general, though I think Montale Moon Aoud is pretty good. We do differ in opinion on By Kilian Incense Oud....I'm no great fan of that one.