Code of Conduct

Default The vetiver quandary

Looking for a vetiver between Guerlains Vetiver and Creeds Original Vetiver. Neither seem to have much longevity although I'm fond of both. Guerlains is a tad smoky for me but i could handle if it lasted longer. Any suggestions?

Default Re: The vetiver quandary

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto
    Vetiver by Fragonard

I'd try Carven Vetiver EdP (opaque white bottle, not EdT). There's no tobacco and it has that clean, soapy character of the Creed. Also Givenchy Vetyver might fit. However, Guerlain Vetiver is quite unbeatable in the vetiver longevity stakes, IMO.

Basenotes Member

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver might fit the bill - I find it has decent longevity and adequate projection (that is: it doesn't stun people around you but you might get compliments).

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Try Mugler Cologne. It lasts fairly well imo.

Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle

Thanks for your input everyone. Looks like I have quite a few samples to track down.

Basenotes Plus

The Different Company Sel de Vetiver.

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle
    Second.

Creed's Original Vetiver is closer to Mugler Cologne than to a vetiver-centered fragrance while the Guerlain is more typically a "vetiver". Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru (which comes in both 125ml and 500ml sizes) could be a good option if you like something in bewteen. It's not extremely tenacious but the big size of the bottles and the quality-price ratio, make of it a perfect fragrance to apply liberally...Douse in it and enjoy

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I really do like the creed. Although there may not be as much vetiver there i really get a "fres h cut grass summer
    morning vibe" that i really like.

Quote Originally Posted by volleybud View Post
    I really do like the creed. Although there may not be as much vetiver there i really get a "fres h cut grass summer
    morning vibe" that i really like.
    I agree. There is something about OV that makes me smile. It has the vetiver smell for sure, but it also has that great Amalfi lemon that I love. It's a nice, fresh scent that would be welcome in any collection in my opinion.

Just checked out the price for Vetiver Extraordinaire and Creeds OV......Although I am quite aware that you get what you pay for, I'd rather not barter my kidney to smell nice. =0) Perhaps the Comme des Garcons Vettiveru will fit the bill. Thanks alfarom...perhaps you saved me from a life of crime

Encre Noire. It fits the bill, is dirt cheap, and has pretty great longevity.

Just checked out the price for Vetiver Extraordinaire and Creeds OV......Although I am quite aware that you get what you pay for, I'd rather not barter my kidney to smell nice. =0) Perhaps the Comme des Garcons Vettiveru will fit the bill. Thanks alfarom...perhaps you saved me from a life of crime
    I guess that depends on your idea of expensive. The Creed you can get for $125 or so for 4oz that will last you years. Also worth considering Vetiver Fatal. I hear it has a good mix of vetiver and mostly citrus.

Where you seeing Creed for $125 for 4 oz? Actually, if i would take all the money I've blown in disappointing blind buys and spend on well researched cologne than i would be on my third bottle of the good vetiver. :0(

Cheap - Encre Noire / Carven Vettiver (both are excellent for their price)
    Classic - Guerlain Vetiver
    Niche - Malle Vetiver extraordinaire / Serge Lutens Original Vetiver / Chanel Sycomore (i find this too complex to be considered a pure vetiver though)
    My vote will be tied for Malle's & Guerlain's. Not a fan of Creed's version though...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Have you thought of trying Guerlain Vetiver Extreme for better longevity and sillage? I own this one and it's very nice!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Where you seeing Creed for $125 for 4 oz? Actually, if i would take all the money I've blown in disappointing blind buys and spend on well researched cologne than i would be on my third bottle of the good vetiver. :0(
    fragrancenet. Just add a coupon (literally google "fragrancenet coupon") and you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru (which comes in both 125ml and 500ml sizes) could be a good option if you like something in bewteen. It's not extremely tenacious but the big size of the bottles and the quality-price ratio, make of it a perfect fragrance to apply liberally...Douse in it and enjoy
    +1

I think it lasts well for an edc, but I usually add a couple more sprays than normal to make sure it sees me through the work day, although on hot days I do get the urge to douse myself in it, using it like a refreshing colling body spray.

Waiting for sample Garcons Vettiveru and Givenchys Vetyver. Thanks again everyone for your 2 cents

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting for samples from Garcons Vettiveru and Givenchys Vetyver. Thanks again everyone for your 2 cents

either Christian Dior Vetiver or Annick Goutal Vetiver perhaps???
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Guess I'm all alone, but Chanel Sycomore is a great clean masculine vetiver. Encre Noire smells earthy and sour to me.

Dior's Vetiver. But it's discontinued so get it because it'll soon be gone 4Evaa.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

There are alot of quality Vetiver based frags out there...Creed OV isn't one of them. You pay $5 for the juice, and $180 for the word "CREED" on the label. It smells like dime-store bar of soap dissolved in water. Many of the other examples mentioned above are high quality vetivers. For a change of pace, Mona d'Orio's Vetyver is a very dry subtle vetiver that doesn't have that wet green smell.

- - - Updated - - -

There are alot of quality Vetiver based frags out there...Creed OV isn't one of them. You pay $5 for the juice, and $180 for the word "CREED" on the label. It smells like dime-store bar of soap dissolved in water. Many of the other examples mentioned above are high quality vetivers. For a change of pace, Mona d'Orio's Vetyver is a very dry subtle vetiver that doesn't have that wet green smell.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Dior's Vetiver. But it's discontinued so get it because it'll soon be gone 4Evaa.
    Great stuff!!
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Would it be ridiculous or even possibly insane to suggest L'Occitane Vetyver? $54 CDN for 100ml. And to my extremely inexperienced nose, quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Would it be ridiculous or even possibly insane to suggest L'Occitane Vetyver? $54 CDN for 100ml. And to my extremely inexperienced nose, quite impressive.
    Your opinion is your opinion. Screw what everybody else thinks. That said, I still have yet to find a vetiver fragrance that I felt the need to own. I really like L'Occitane's Vetyver on paper but it doesn't seem to work on my skin.

Noble Cedar by Chopard (Yes lots of Vetiver Here)