Code of Conduct

Default Do you prefer a dirty musk or white musk?

What basenotes do you like in musk? Do you like a creamy salty musk?

If you had to pick one musk for your boyfriend or husband, what musk would you prefer?

Default Re: Do you prefer a dirty musk or white musk?

The dirtier the better. So called "White Musk" (which used to be Galaxolide, and now is usually a mix of Macrocyclic Musks) I find thick and sticky and dull. The ideal Musk, to me, is genuine Musk Tincture (now unobtainable) closely followed by Musc Koblai Khan. The animalic aspect works so well in the type of fragrance I enjoy.

Blog Entries

"The dirtier the better"; yes, me too! l would pick Musk Ravageur for my bf.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Another vote for the dirty type...Muscs Koublai Khan would be my pick.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dirty for sure, Muscs Koublai Khan is the epytome, i appreciate a lot Black Musk Montale (musty and faintly metallic at once) and detect some dirty muskiness also in Mazzolari Lui (despite is not properly a musky fragrance).

Another dirty and another vote for Muscs Koublaï Khän by Lutens.

Both are nice but i prefer dirty.

for swap/sale:

As long as they are well counterbalanced I'm fine with either. They are not exactly comparable as they add different facets to a fragrance.

Against the grain here, but I prefer a cleaner musk.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Not a fan of Galaxolide / laundry detergent type musk.
    Give me some gggrrrrrrr.

I can't stop sniffing anything with musk in it.

I do not like the flowers or extra scents added to musk. It is a distraction.

I sniffed Stetson last night and liked the musk in it. If only they cut the flowers out of it.

What dirty musks are available cheap that have strong musk, with minimual additions? Maybe a touch of vanilla for sweetness, maybe a touch of civet for dirtyness. Is there musk that is sex in a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post

What dirty musks are available cheap that have strong musk, with minimual additions? ...
    Try Smell Bent's Commando (perfume oil).

Depends on the fragrance.

Filthy!

Dirty/MKK or Kiehl's.

Blog Entries

Further to my earlier post, l've changed my mind. l tried both Musc Ravageur & MKK on my bf recently, & MKK was by far the winner; much more musky & powdery, whereas Musc Rav came out way too sweet on him. l'm now saving to get him a bottle of MKK.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Whatever the heck the Smell Bent guy uses and calls Dirty Musk is my favorite, hands down. It smells so good. It is human smelling, animal not plant, but not sweaty, not yucky to me in any way...I find it very sexy smelling...I have the She Wolf, which because of the vanilla does smell a little girly to me, and the Horny Little Devil, it has cinnamon and pepper and I think would work on a guy but cinnamon is a little more foody than I might like on a man.

My man, however does not like musk, or perfumes. I think I could talk him into SSS Sienna Musk, but that one is not so musky, and I think I would call it clean because it is sort of bright smelling, like winter sunlight, where the smell bent "dirty musk" things smell dark and warm to me.

Soapy clean musk is not something i want to smell often, but occasionally it is nice. It never feels like *me* though.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Depends on the fragrance.
    Exactly -- what other notes are there

My SO does not like musk either (regardless of whether it is a dirty or clean musk). He doesn't wear perfume but enjoys me doing so, and since I love his natural scent we are both happy

I can't say that my ideal musk is super clean, but neither is it a very dirty one - balance is better in my book. I also find that some dirty musks are in fact - to me - not sexy at all, but remind me of the smell of dirty hamster cage (yes, I have smelled one) and that's most definitely not sexy. While I don't find MR particularly dirty, I do find the base in several Lutens perfumes to be too dirty and dirty in the wrong way (for me).

I like clean musks and 'dirtier' musks, at least I think I do. I've not smelled many of the latter. I like MKK, but it doesn't strike me as all that dirty. I love Musc Ravageur, but that's more of a spicy oriental than a musk scent to me. (I sprayed it on once at a Sniffapalooza event and someone thought I was wearing Shalimar.) As for individual musks, I don't have much experience, but I love Habanolide's ironed-fabric nuance and Cosmone's powdery heliotrope thing (I think of it as heliotrope, at least. It's kinda almond-vanilla in a way). I also like Galaxolide in some contexts and musk ketone of course smells wonderful, although it makes me think of what fresh rolls of toilet paper smell like.

I do love me some castoreum reconstruction, however. And out of curiosity I bought some "mink attractant" (for hunters) and find that I like the way that smells--oily, castoreum, chocolate... My SO thought it smelled tarry, like cade.