Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Who is your favourite current youtube reviewer.

I like Raj aka 8rk7. His does a good job describing scents, typically covers less popular scents and is concise.
    I really don't understand why the average review has gotten so long. There's no reason a review should be any longer than 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cheadle View Post
    I like Raj aka 8rk7. His does a good job describing scents, typically covers less popular scents and is concise.
    I really don't understand why the average review has gotten so long. There's no reason a review should be any longer than 15 minutes
    I dont know this Raj fella but I agree with your second point.
    That's why I like reviews by Patrick Youngblood. Good review, short and to the point.

My favs would be

Marc(Robes08)
    Kristo(Betawiblood)
    Uwe(Gentsrevs)
    Sebastian(Manlovescologne)

The best to me is still Miguel(Hiroyoruzuka)

Am on YT myself,did a few vids then realized that the term "reviewer" kinda limits a lot of boundaries.I considered myself as a frag vlogger now(check out Ciro Nero/Ciro Scents)..still kinda new so not really a great speaker at the moment.
    Let me know what you guys think

I've always been careful to never call myself a "reviewer". I'm just a bloke with an opinion.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

My top 5 YouTube fragrance reviewers are/were:

*Tim (Tswetcoff) - the guy who started it all. He did a really good job...provided the info we all want to know about, and did it with style
    *Marc (robes08) - my personal favorite currently, because I think he's the most informative. Polished, and great at describing things. He paints a picture with his words
    *John (Kerosene) - Did a really nice job...and reviewed a lot of scents that I am/was interested in. Combined facts and humor nicely.
    *Dan (MyMickers) - Does a great job, includes a female nose/perspective in his videos, which is nice. Just wish he didn't laugh so damned frequently...it loses a little something and comes across as kind of phony when done too much.
    *Katie (Katie Puckrik) - Probably the best at using (somewhat dry) humor. She really does a nice job reviewing the products as well...unfortunately, she doesn't focus on as many men's fragrance that I (a man) would like her to.

Honorable Mention to Al (Street Scents), Hiro and JBustios (formerly JRWriter) who also do/have done a nice job in the past.

This guy is awesome.

SPICY!!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Member

Not my favourite reviewer but one I'm really enjoying and consistently putting out great content is mheusler

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tim Swetcoff will always be #1 in my book.

I miss him. All these other acts now are great, but not the same. I feel like singing Chicago's song Harry Truman, except instead of Harry Truman it's about Tim Swetcoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cheadle View Post
    There's no reason a review should be any longer than 15 minutes
    Agreed. If you spend more than 15 minutes reviewing a fragrance, you're repeating yourself, rambling or obsessing over glib details

Fragrance Bros. The only videos that don't make me want to uppercut my monitor.

Let me revive an old thread here since I'm relatively new to fragrance communities on the net.

I really enjoy Tim Swetcoff (wish he was still around), ---mickers is hilarious and it's great to get a females perspective, ---ash is the man, ---Frank N Sense (dry humor and very informative and paints a good picture of a scent), ---kerosene, great youtube reviewer success story (i miss him too), ----Al here! is the shit, fragrance bros, smelly thoughts for very exotic niche's, ---guinea is hilarious too but doesn't have many reviews he seems to be very down to earth and of course ----Marc THE FRAGRANCE GOD with Azzoro that stinking pile of synthetic dog crap!!!!

A friend of mine linked me the profile of an Italian self-called "reviewer" which left me speechless, this is his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmpo...koKgIfTytWr6f6

He left me speechless in a totally bad way - if he was not real, I would have thought this was a joke or a parody. As I assume most of you don't know Italian, I'll explain this briefly: this hipster has not the slightest basic knowledge of scents. He takes a scent, comments on the bottle/packaging, tells you some anecdotic crap he read on Wikipedia or on blogs, brings his iPad (you can see in that video too) and reads the composition, then for about a couple of minutes he speaks about the perfume itself - without saying anything more complex than "good" or "bad" or other idiotic comments ("smells old but nice"). That's just hilarious, I wonder how he can even know about Piguet and Etat libre d'Orange. I saw a video in which he comments Knize Ten saying "it's outdated". Now you may point our that not anyone has knowledge in the field and maybe he wants to provide a "naif" external approach to scents - something like "a normal guy's point of view on perfumes". I woulc accept that. But he doesn't, he's really convinced he is a reviewer, he takes this seriously. How can one be so non-humble and immodest?

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I recently was looking for good review about Yohji Yamomoto Homme and saw Tony Reviews - which I really like both fact wise and explanation/review itself
    Nice!

CoachRob619 easily leads the pack for me mainly because it was one of his vids that sparked my fragrance fascination when I came upon his review of Very Sexy For Him (only found it because I was looking for a written review of it online since I got offered it as a 90% discounted gift) and having seen all his vids can say for sure our tastes match up 80%-85% most of my early blind buy purchases were all from watching his vids and none of them let me down.

From the others it'd be after dracdoc, fragrancebros and robes08

I've enjoyed Katie Puckrik's reviews, she has a certain touch although I don't agree with everything she says.

I have to say I'm not that much into YouTube when it comes to fragrances, but I have watched a few here and there...

Dracdoc is my go-to guy for reviews.

Oh yeah. How could I forget DracDoc. That guy is knowledgeable as hell and I like how he gets opinions from his office. Good to get the real worlds point of view rather than just the frag communities point of view.

Frank and Dracdoc

Since I mostly watch, and publish my own, beer reviews on YouTube I am actually not familiar with anyone by name/username alone except for Katie Puckrik. Katie is so entertaining I often get sucked into reviews of scents I don't even care about!

Basenotes Plus

Freddie and Rene.
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

Smellythoughts and Redolessence (also adding the reviews by another BN member, namely The Great Duke, in the less current, but still extremely watchable category).

The only one I subscribe to is Marc (Robes08), I like him because he seems to have a similar taste to me plus he has a crazy amount of bottles!

I watch others when I want to see a review of a particular fragrance, but don't subscribe.

Active:
    Robes08
    Fragnance Bros
    theLupeXperience
    Redolessence

Inactive
    Brandon Thompson

Basenotes Plus

Fragrance Bros. It's a shame that Jer quit.
    MyMickers is probably my favorite. Dan is awesome.

robes08: he's a good reviewer, but his videos are overly long and very repetitive. He could get the same thing accomplished in less than 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post

robes08: he's a good reviewer, but his videos are overly long and very repetitive. He could get the same thing accomplished in less than 10 minutes.
    Why did Jeremy quit?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Why did Jeremy quit?
    They never really gave a solid reason. Jer just didn't want to do it anymore.

Dependent

I like Brandon Thompson. Don't always agree with him but he's genuine. He comes across as someone who cares about what he's doing

Fragrance bros? Eh, to me it's too much shtick and the reviews are fluff IMO, but they ARE entertaining..

Marc Robes: I respect his collection, but I'm not a fan of his reviews. He uses words like 'plummy' and 'jammy' and that drives me nuts. It makes me think, maybe this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.. Having a big collection and knowing what you're smelling are two different things
    Seasonal rotation:

Ciel Man
    Windsor
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Santal Imperial
    Millesime Imperial

I like Freddie with smelly thoughts. I found out about bouge through him and he got me interested in vero profumo also.

My favorites are Frank N Scents for his no nonsense approach, and Jim Quantrell. I like Jim's consistent format and presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post

Like Frag Bros & Robes, but agree with your points on Mark and wish Jer would reconsider and come back. The magic's gone.

I can't stand the fragrance bros. someone said it, but to much cheesy back and forth. Mickers is just to much. Robes is actually really good on camera. I can't think of his name, but it's a Dutch guy it think. He does some good reviews. I think his name is gurenland?