Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Default Re: Chandler Burr: S02E02

Just got an email from Luckyscent about this. Wondering same thing.

Me too. $40 for 30mls.......I've been wanting to get in on this. Seems like fun and not expensive!

Blog Entries

Can't make heads or tails of that description. A bridge and a symphony? Aldehydes?

Blog Entries

I'm in! This sounds like it's from a perfumer / house he's been wanting for the series. The description basically says subtle.

Frankly, I probably have whatever it is. But still - sounds great.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/65...ntitled-series

Also, the fulfillment is under new management (Lucky Scent), and I expect that the whole ordeal is going to be very low drama. Now is a good time to get in. 75 bottles! Er..... make that 74. Do I hear 73?

Basenotes Institution

Tempted to join. The last (and only one) I participated in was the Eau de Lierre one which, honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around. It does, sometimes when I wear it, smell like pickles.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Is it just me or is it already showing up 'Backorder: this item is sold out' on the Luckyscent website?

Whoa, that was fast.

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Everyone loves a mysterious mystery, apparently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is it just me or is it already showing up 'Backorder: this item is sold out' on the Luckyscent website?

Whoa, that was fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Everyone loves a mysterious mystery, apparently.
    Holy Toledo! Bizarre! The OpenSky fragrance NEVER sold out that fast. Wow.

Not sure - sometimes that happens when something hasn't arrived on site yet - the first few buys when it's made available before actually being present, trigger the back-end software to say it's out of stock.

Guess I missed out on that one, lol! I'm with kumquat though, I was trigger shy because of lack of note description.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Yes its gone unfortunately. I checked an hour ago and its was on backorder.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Blog Entries

Let's see what happens. Even if the 75 units all shipped, maybe they can get a second shipment.

Bueller? I mean Chandler? Chandler?

The Untitleds never sold out that fast. I wonder who bought them all - and where they'll go to talk about it. Will Luckyscent host the discussion too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    The Untitleds never sold out that fast. I wonder who bought them all - and where they'll go to talk about it. Will Luckyscent host the discussion too?
    If they showed up on eBay due to fragrance speculators, it would be a bit of a laugh. My money says that it's just a glitch in the order system.

Have not heard anything about the discussion, or anything else. This announcement was a complete surprise to me! Hoping that Chandler will chime in and let us know what's going on!

Basenotes Plus

I managed to get in on this one before the email was sent out. Now all that's left is waiting...

Basenotes Plus

I came to the forums to see if anyone was talking about this, got an email today as well. I do think this one is sold out. "Edition of 75" "Only a limited number of bottles will be produced and, once sold, they will never be produced again." So, produced as in...decanted and slapped with an random #? At first I thought he was actually producing perfumes now.

Congrats and GL to those who got one, the mystery aspect is a fabulous idea, hopefully there will be threads about it! I love it, take the label off, I hope he does a celeb scent. XD

I am hoping it was limited to one per customer.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Hi guys.

So yeah, this was a surprise--the entire episode sold out in 6 hours. NB-- and I didn't think of this until the luckyscent guys pointed it out to me-- buying an Untitled is like buying a plane ticket; it can be sitting right in your basket on the website, but until you hit Buy you don't actually own it.

We can't unfortunately get a second order of S02E02 simply because I can't go back to this brand after they gave me this exceptional permission, generously had the factory put the scent in the bottles they got (god knows nothing in this series is ever standard size; hell, it should be so easy; it's literally whatever bottles and sprays etc. that the houses have on their shelves when I ask), shipped them and so on. The houses do these all by hand, and they, I, the scent maker, and luckyscent are all working together to get the 100 (or 77 in this case; like I said, nothing standard) Untitleds in in time and intact. It's great, but every month I'm asking a different brand to trust me on this weird project/experiment and to do some unusual work.

At the end of the day, I think E02's being sold out has simply to be credited to luckyscent's taking over the Untitled Series and making it easier, more attractive, clearer and just more fun. Guys, we're always going to have bumps in the process with this series because we're putting the thing together from scratch, by hand, every month (or two months, which we'll go to if I can't get a scent I really want). But that's part of what this is about.

best,

Chandler

Thanks for clarifying, Chandler. It makes sense that Luckyscent would sell them quickly; they have the means and the ready audience for fragrance, so it's not really surprising.

But where do we go to follow the discussion about it? Or is that not seen as an essential part of the thing? It was really interesting to read the previous Untitled threads here, even if I couldn't play along.

K

Kagey, glad you asked about where to follow the discussion of it. This is it! For discussion, debate, critique, retort--all thoughtful, please--you're there. Or rather you're in one of the two.

The other forum is luckyscent's own comments section here: http://www.luckyscent.com/product/65...es#reviewbegin.

The luckyscent forum is where you express yourself on the scent and write your own critique of it as a work. The Basenotes forum has always been more about raising questions about it, its role in the Series, the Series itself, my blatant stupidity and so on.

Luckyscent has gotten two emailed critiques of my launch text of S02E02, which I'll respond to soon.

Chandler

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the update Chandler

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

This should be in my hands on Friday, as per the tracking info - looking forward to it!

Should have mine today! Can't wait.

Well its quite citrusy and sweet... tangerine maybe? Whatever it is, I certainly do not already own it.
    Last edited by Danbar99; 4th June 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Maybe it's time to make it less limited, congrats!
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Damn, I meant to get in on this series when it restarted on Luckyscent.
    I sought out Eau de Lierre based on the thread even though I didn't take part. Love it.

Going to have to keep a closer eye on these to make sure I don't miss out on the next one
    Just say no to oniomania.

I am now detecting musk and something synthetic that adds an aquatic/ semi oceanic vibe, probably some hedione, possibly some calone

Quote Originally Posted by Danbar99 View Post
    I am now detecting musk and something synthetic that adds an aquatic/ semi oceanic vibe, probably some hedione, possibly some calone
    Aquatic/semi-oceanic/calone... You sir just made me far less bummed out about missing out on this round. Still interested to read impressions though so keep them coming y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Aquatic/semi-oceanic/calone... You sir just made me far less bummed out about missing out on this round. Still interested to read impressions though so keep them coming y'all.
    That goes for me as well.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Based solely on notes, not having smelled either of these...im gonna go ahead and put in guesses for Christiane Celle CALYPSO TANGERINE, as well as TANGERINE VERTE by Miller Harris

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    This should be in my hands on Friday, as per the tracking info - looking forward to it!
    Well, it looks like I'll have to wait another couple of days. There was a delay, as per UPS, on Friday, and it's nowhere to be found today. Oh, well...

Ugh, am I the only one who has it? This is no fun!

Ugh, am I the only one who has it? This is no fun!
    I'd love to play, but didn't get in before they sold out. Now if you wanted to send samples.....

That's why I have no interest in these "mystery" scent endeavors. However, if Mr. Burr wants to send me a sample, I'd be happy to provide my opinion about it. LOL.

Basenotes Plus

Default Chandler Burr: S02E02

This finally came in today after a UPS hiccup. I just applied half a spray to my wrist and won't get past the opening as I'm tired and ready to go to bed. There's an orange blossom thing going on with a slight soapiness in the background.
    Last edited by juanderer; 10th June 2014 at 05:11 AM.

Never having tried it, obviously, but reading these posts, it sounds like a Jean Claude Ellena scent. I couldn't reliably guess which one -- Begamote perhaps or one of the Hermes ones -- because I'm the only person in the world who doesn't get on with Ellena scents. Unfortunately.

Juanderer, so tell us what you think after living with it tomorrow. I have to say that I think S02E02 is very much the contemporary construction that was pioneered in the 1980s: It's intentionally designed not to evolve. I should ask the perfumer of E02 if they intended that.

The more scent I wear, the more I both admire (for the technical mastery the artist needs) and explicitly want a scent that does not change over time. I realize this is sacrilege to many, the diametric opposite of the pre-war French ideal in which the evolution was half of the show, like the kind of travel in which the journey is as much the point as the destination.

I'd submit that in the era's great love of evolution there was a huge amount of making a virtue of a necessity--the available materials much more often naturals and much less often the post-war synthetics that allowed increasingly greater precision and structural solidity. But I believe we are entering the end of the age of evolution in the medium of scent. There is beauty in watching a dying fire, but the fire in its fullest hot blossoming is frequently what we want and want to keep. And who takes pleasure in the bouquet that browns and collapses until three days later you toss it out. A sapphire's beauty does not mutate. When evolution becomes purely--or much closer to purely--an aesthetic choice like any other aesthetic choice in the design and building of a perfume, those who buy it, in particular you (us) on Basenotes, who buy the best and most expensive works in scent, may demand that a scent be the scent you want at every point, all the time, from beginning to end. The destination will become the full point.

With respect to your point Mr. Burr, I think much of what one desires in a scent comes hand in hand with why they desire the scent. Someone who wears fragrance for his own enjoyment will almost undoubtedly want a scent that evolves over time, lest the single chord struck from beginning to end bore him. On the other hand, he who wears scent to please others may wish for that magical "best moment" to indeed be the only moment.
    Last edited by Danbar99; 13th June 2014 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling (typed on my phone)

But, Dan, my point is precisely that if you find a chord, a single olfactory painting, that you love just as it is--and it could be at minute 1 or hour 1, that's irrelevant--that is what you love for yourself. I'm currently obsessed with Imagine Dragons, and I have them on Pandora, and the songs, which don't evolve--they're the same songs every time, they don't change--are exactly what I love. They are exactly what *don't bore me. Indeed it's the opposite. I don't want to hear them "unplugged." I don't want to hear them covered by Demi Lovato. I want those chords. My sons may be getting tired of them, since I plug my iPhone into the sound system while I make dinner, but I don't care about pleasing others. It's all about me and these exact unchanging chords. See?

You are listening to the same songs over and over, as one who wears the same evolving perfume does... they smell the same evolution over and over. I would liken an unevolving perfume to listening to the same one song over and over. I do see your point, but I also enjoy playing devils advocate.

I can't believe I missed this. I was looking forward to getting in on this. I will certainly make a note to jump on the next one even quicker!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Same here, looks like I'm a little late to the game...

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I can't believe I missed this. I was looking forward to getting in on this. I will certainly make a note to jump on the next one even quicker!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Chandler's a hell of a writer (thanks !), but I never understood what all of this stuff was about in the first place. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    But, Dan, my point is precisely that if you find a chord, a single olfactory painting, that you love just as it is--and it could be at minute 1 or hour 1, that's irrelevant--that is what you love for yourself.
    I'll happily listen to a repetitive hip-hop song or dance music that samples that one choice beat, chord, vocal, etc. and makes it the centre and focus of a song, and I'll happily wear a scent that can find that one part to focus on and draw it out over the life of the scent.

Hi, guys. The Reveal is live: http://www.luckyscent.com/product/65...es#reviewbegin
    Chandler

Basenotes Institution

I've always liked Un Jardin sure Nil from back when I first smelled it (pre-Basenotes) when I first heard about it from your very article Chandler in the New Yorker, all the way to owning a bottle of the Body Lotion and being even more mesmerized by the scent in that formulation. I've always got a few compliments here-and-there when I wear it (which is always nice) and here in Miami it's the perfect combination of fruit, water, sweetness and 'garden'. I was sampling Calyx by Prescriptives last week and whereas that ones a mango powerhouse (beautifully done) I think UJSLN is so much more wearable for me here in Miami.

I also smell tiny bits of it floating around throughout many of JCE's releases (Jour d'Hermes, one of the Eaux’s sorry I can't remember which one & a tiny bit in Voyage d'Hermes).

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, I've always thought of Calyx and Jardin sur le Nil as very different expressions of the same concept. I love both. I would, as Luca says, like to create a minor religion around them. Nil it's true is probably the perfect Miami scent (where most of the time it's so g.d. hot all you want to wear is gauze), but I think Calyx is what to wear to bring Miami to gray freezing New York or Boston or other godforsaken February places.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Mike, I've always thought of Calyx and Jardin sur le Nil as very different expressions of the same concept. I love both. I would, as Luca says, like to create a minor religion around them. Nil it's true is probably the perfect Miami scent (where most of the time it's so g.d. hot all you want to wear is gauze), but I think Calyx is what to wear to bring Miami to gray freezing New York or Boston or other godforsaken February places.
    I see what you mean.

Have you smelled Eau Radieuse by Humeicki & Graef? It also has a green fruit note (this one is banana) that really is elusive in perfumery and highly original. That way that you described UJSLN and smelling a green mango, alive, on a tree made me think about EDR.

-- Jack Kerouac

Interesting to know that JslN smells like an unripe mango on a plant - unfortunately, I never had this smelling experience.

Which presumably means too that I would find the smell of mangoes on a plant good but not exceedingly exciting (unlike that or very ripe mangoes outside of the plant).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

OK, I'm sort of relieved I missed the frenzy on the S02E02 release... Of the Un Jardin line I only like (and own bottles of) Apres la Mousson and En Mediterranee. Both Sur Le Nil and Sur le Toit turn a bit too sweet and feminine on me.

Interesting experiment, though...

Blog Entries

Hmmm, interesting choice. I like this one a lot. I own a bottle already. This is my favorite of the Jardin series. The mango and lotus and tangy green notes are all to my liking. A 5 star scent to be sure. I only wish it had a bit more silage and strength. Other than that, this is a classic winner.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Eau Radieuse by Humeicki & Graef? It also has a green fruit note (this one is banana) that really is elusive in perfumery and highly original.
    I need to ask them for a sample.

Well, seeing as I own a full bottle, I'm kind of glad I didn't get in on this one although it would have been interesting to see whether I picked it straight away.

The smell of the green mango on the plant is also very similar to the green, tart, sappy, yet fruity mango smell released when one tears the leaf of a mango tree. Takes me back to the summer holidays of my childhood/teenage years. One of my summer staples.

The only other one in the series I like so far is En Mediterranee. Interesting, Remik, that you find it sweet. I am normally hyper-sensitive to sweetness, so to my nose at least this comes across as tart, and with little sweetness, although I do get the feminine side to it.

Basenotes Plus

I don't find it as sweet as Sur le Toit, for sure, but the mango in Sur Le Nil - although tart and very green (leafy?) - somehow makes me think of sweet ripe mango fruit. I've been OD'ing on mangos all this week (long story) - maybe now after eating a dozen of them I should go revisit Sur le Nil to see if I still find it sweet? :-) I don't think I'd wear it though, personally, as it does sort of lean slightly too far to the feminine side. This doesn't always turn me off, but in this particular case, it just didn't work on my skin when I last tried it.

My first love from the Un Jardin series was En Mediterranee, and more recently I picked up a bottle of Apres la Mousson - it works in mysterious ways in summer heat, it really reminds me of how the air feels after a heavy downpour in the middle of the summer (trying to remember trips to Key West in the rainy season). Both are "simple" yet so... complex.

Ugh, I almost pulled the trigger on this one and by the time I made up my mind it was sold out. LJSLN has been on my wish list for ages
    Last edited by lpp; 29th June 2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: deleted content

Experiment is great indeed

It's perfect for summer!!