Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who is your favourite current youtube reviewer.

I know that this thread has been done before my time here, but I'm quite new here snd thought I would see who people are currently liking.

I really enjoy the following:

Marc (Robes08) - A legend of reviewing for me. He has done so many reviwes and this has helped me so much.

Brandon (CutlassupremeSL) Love his style of reviewing. Not so technical, just tells it how it is!

Cody (Dracdoc) - This guy has the most relaxing and eloquent voice. Love his reviews and the huge amount of effort he puts in.

Rob (Coachrob619) - Only just discovered Coachrob, but I am an immediate fan. Love the subjects he picks to talk about (Check out his 'Don't belive the hype' Vids). Really good stuff!

There are some others that I also really like, but these guys are my current faves

Default Re: Who is your favourite current youtube reviewer.

...I only read reviews...!

MyMickers is my favourite
    Robes08
    Le Grand Duc (doesn't do many reviews, but I love his accent)

Kerosene was the best but doesn't do them any more.

I only follow the succint Katie Puckrick, I haven't the patience to sit through 20-30 minute reviews. Although Mickers is entertaining so I occasionally watch his.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...I only read reviews...!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    MyMickers is my favourite
    Robes08
    Le Grand Duc (doesn't do many reviews, but I love his accent)

Kerosene was the best but doesn't do them any more.
    Yeh, he was very good - miss his reviews

Al
    Rob
    MyMikers
    Doc

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    Me too!
    +2 as I generally prefer and stick to reading reviews (though I have at least watched robes08 and the fragrance bros before)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I like Dracdoc and Lilangry (but he's more top 10 lists rather than reviews).

Cformosa (Cubby). He has fantastic reviews. Straight to the point and very short.
    Honestly, I enjoy all of them.

Fragrancebros
    FRAGRANCEFANATIC1
    bpwool

fragrancebros (regional bias)
    Katie Puckrick (crush worthy)
    Le Grand Duc (best pronunciation)
    Mymickers

Ash

Banned
    Blog Entries

I used to like Marc Robes08. Now I don't really like him anymore. He gotten an annoying ego now. And moreover, all his reviews are now over 20 minutes, and he constantly repeats himself, explaining in 15-25 minutes all that could be said in 5 to 10.

I like Cutlass (as I find his anti-Creed rants hilarious even if I'm a big fan of the house).

JR Writer is one of my favorites. I really like his personality. But hey, he's from the same town I'm from.

My favorite reviewer was and always will be Tim Swetcoff. He was the first and the best. He started the fragrance community on youtube practically, and his retirement symbolized the end of the designer era, where now everything is about niche.

My favorite active reviewer is Dracdoc. He puts more care and effort into the small but significant details than any other reviewer has.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I used to like Marc Robes08. Now I don't really like him anymore. He gotten an annoying ego now. And moreover, all his reviews are now over 20 minutes, and he constantly repeats himself, explaining in 15-25 minutes all that could be said in 5 to 10.

I like Cutlass (as I find his anti-Creed rants hilarious even if I'm a big fan of the house).

JR Writer is one of my favorites. I really like his personality. But hey, he's from the same town I'm from.

My favorite reviewer was and always will be Tim Swetcoff. He was the first and the best. He started the fragrance community on youtube practically, and his retirement symbolized the end of the designer era, where now everything is about niche.

My favorite active reviewer is Dracdoc. He puts more care and effort into the small but significant details than any other reviewer has.
    I haven't noticed this? Where have you seen this ego mate?

George Fourtinas is one of my favourites.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

cutlass - just honest and to the point
    hiro - cool style very entertaining and funny - but still informative.
    dradoc - He puts a lot of care and effort into his reviews. He is a real gentleman too.
    robes08- His depth of knowledge makes him great.
    danforz - Intelligent and eloquent guy. I tend to agree with most of his opinions.

Cubby and Tim deserve a mention

There are some awful reviewers on YouTube.

Talking Re: Who is your favourite current youtube reviewer.

Bottem notes

Mymickers

Lilangry

Rob

Fragrence fanatic.

Katie Puckrik !

Don't watch any.

Who would I watch?

Darvant
    Alfarom
    Foustie
    Cacio

for swap/sale:

I just recently stumbled across Fragrancebros while searching out reviews for Aftelier Perfumes. I had been watching a review by smellythoughts who is also good but doesn't have many video reviews (his blog is good and has more reviews). I like robes08 and appreciate hearing his correct pronunciations and, like SirNosebleed, I have a crush on Katie Puckrik.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc Robes08....
    And moreover, all his reviews are now over 20 minutes, and he constantly repeats himself, explaining in 15-25 minutes all that could be said in 5 to 10.
    While I do generally like his reviews, you are dead-on. He takes far too long to get to the point.

Dcampbell

Used to watch the majority that have been listed, but now I just search a particular fragrance and whoever has done a review on it I watch them. However I am developing a sick obsession for top ten lists. It's sad really.

Basenotes Plus

My favorites are Le Grand Duc (Pfalzgreven) on youtube and Katie Puckrik (Katie Puckrik Smells) on youtube.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 22nd January 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Kristo - The guy seems to have no interest in hype. And that's a good thing.
    The Fragrance Bros - Two opinions are better than one. And they're hilarious.
    Katie Puckrik - It's great to get a woman's point of view. And she's got style.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

i like Hiro- he is a straight shooter all the way, my fav

Al has the most passion
    dracdoc and robes08 are good as well
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

I don't see how he has an ego. He's still himself. The only difference I've really noticed is that he's started dressing better and he's more confident in his reviews. But I agree on the length, I don't see why a review on a fragrance like CK Euphoria Intense needs to be 20 minutes. The length is getting pretty ridiculous and these days I usually just skip to the end and look at his "rating system" cause otherwise he just repeats himself too much. It was fine when it was 10 minutes long, 15 a bit long but still bearable, but 20 is overboard. Still, it's hard to beat him with his dedication and the sheer size of his library of reviews. If you're the average guy who buys designer, there's at least a 99% chance he's reviewed at least one of the bottles you own in your collection.

As for my favourites, I really liked kristo though unfortunately he retired, as well as hiro, and Brandon.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've noticed now that Robes08 has gotten a lot more comfy and complacent than he was in 2010 since he's now the most popular. But he worked hard and acheived it. He deserves every ounce of that ego. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a vain arrogant person either lol. But I prefer the humility, simplicity and brevity of his 2010 reviews.

I just felt that when Tim did it, it was innovative. And seeing 90% of the community on Youtube just trying to copy him instead of pushing new territory. Fragrance reviews on youtubes is like gangster rap. When it first came out in the late 80's, it was innovative and made a big impact. But years later, it just looks like a cliche and silly satirization of what it used to be.

Enjoy all of them, from robes, street scents to the guy who lets his wife smell them in the end, cutlass.., Katie Puckrick (though the reviews can almost be too slick), fragrance bros, dracdoc, etc, etc, all good. I usually just watch the reviews that pop up when looking for comments on a specific scent (and am mainly interested in how they judge longevity and projection then...something that I feel at times gets neglected in reviews here. Always check Darvant's (if I'm not confusing things) reviews as he often mentions them).
    Last edited by Rüssel; 29th January 2013 at 02:50 PM.

My favorite is Bottom Note for his innovativeness and creativity. But... after the little 'episode' from last night, I'm not sure if he'll ever make another video again.

As noirdrakkar said, to which I agree with, Swetcoff is the greatest fragrance reviewer in YouTube history. He was the best of the best. Charisma, great attitude, presentation, thoughts, no BS, no fluff, just fragrance talk without being banal, bland, boring, etc. I hope that one of these days he comes back. Who knows.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Tim had the confidence and charisma because he was innovating. He was doing what he wanted and he set the standard.
    Once everybody else tried to follow it, they came across as rigid and cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    My favorite is Bottom Note for his innovativeness and creativity. But... after the little 'episode' from last night, I'm not sure if he'll ever make another video again.

As noirdrakkar said, to which I agree with, Swetcoff is the greatest fragrance reviewer in YouTube history. He was the best of the best. Charisma, great attitude, presentation, thoughts, no BS, no fluff, just fragrance talk without being banal, bland, boring, etc. I hope that one of these days he comes back. Who knows.
    What happened? Bottom Note deleted his channel.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I gave up watching them after a few tries. The problem with youTube reviews is the spotlight always fall on the reviewer rather than the fragrance. That's just the way visual media work. You could minimize this by focusing the camera on the product not the reviewer. But hey, what about my 5 minutes of fame?? Not every reviewer is willing to give up face time.

Ive watched a few of these. Most are either highly amusing or boring.

Id say Jim Quantrell is probally the best, and toons1200 is ok to. Street scents is good for a laugh lol.

Everything else is a bit meh.

lol @ me having an ego. I have some self confidence in my nose yes, so yes after years of smelling fragrances (specially the years I've been on youtube , I have gone in overdrive and sniff everything I can) , so i am much more confident in pin pointing certain notes and what smells good together etc... i do not think (ego wise) that I think I am the end all and be all of fragrance reviewing, I always want the community to shine and want people to sniff as much as they want.

To respond to me being complacent in the past few years, well buying a a house getting married and having a child on the way slows down your motivation in reviewing. I still have the passion but the time is not there. I try my best to give the viewer the best experience on my channel and I pride myself on my testing of fragrances. I still test fragrances with over 30 wearings in a year within different seasons and occasions to really get a feel of the fragrance. I have upgraded my camera to full HD. You are not alone that many people want me to go back to the laid back 2010 style with 10 minute videos. I've been working on cutting the fat on my reviews to hopefully bring them down to that 10-12 minute range and cut the repetition once I am back.

I love hearing feedback about my channel without personal attacks of course, and I take it with a great pride and humility to try to give the subscriber the best product, but then again it is a free product for you to look at and it can't be perfect.
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

EASILY MyMickers! His infectious enthusiasm and outrageous charisma make him a real life shot of 5-hour energy!(which if there was an oud flavor of 5-hour energy he would buy it and drink it...and so would I )

I also really liked watching Kersone do his thing, but it sounds like he is more focused on his own line of wares. (good for him though)

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

MyMickers
    robes08
    Katie Puckrik
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

There are many reviewers on YT who do good reviews and try their best to be informative. Among them at Toons, MyMickers, Fragrancebros, genstrevs (very good), MastersofStyle-Alex (Extremely good, may be the best on YT), Fumerie Hilaire (Very informative/in depth reviews), Redolessence (One of the newer reviewers who does a very good presentation). These are just a few. We must remember that these persons are not professionals but they are avid collectors who take time out of their lives to provide us with information that pertains to our beloved hobby. For that, I thank all YT reviewers very much.

Yeah I saw that blowout! Its insane!!!

Enjoying our very own Hilaire's vidz at the mo - listed as user "Fumerie Hilaire".

KP is good.
    I like robes but less and less recently as the vidz become longer and the presentation becomes more OTT.

Banned
    Blog Entries

okay can someone tell me what happened to bottom note

what did he do?

PLEASE

He was supposedly picked on by a reviewer by the name of Lupe. His youtube name is TheLupeExperience. People say he is snobby for liking niche only because he looks down on people and reviewers that like designer fragrance. So bottom notes called him out and it escalated very fast and the use of profanity was added in the call out youtube video. Supposedly every review bottom notes was putting up Lupe was dissing him. We never got Lupes side...but BN wasnt the only one to say he was a snob and a jerk. To be honest I've seen a few of Lupes reviews...very boring. All he was doing is reading off a computer screen. Nothing original.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Kristo - The guy seems to have no interest in hype. And that's a good thing.
    The Fragrance Bros - Two opinions are better than one. And they're hilarious.
    Katie Puckrik - It's great to get a woman's point of view. And she's got style.
    Those are probably my three as well. Drac and Rob are pretty close as well. The videos are quite and entertaining but I respect that they seems to be the ones "Keeping it real" and not just going niche heavy (even the fragbros seem to be falling down this rabbit hole).

what it's starting to feel like in here

for swap/sale:

lol

I don't watch perfume reviews often; but when I do, I watch ouch110 and Fumerie Hilaire.

Dracdoc and Redolessence, for me, are the best two reviewers. Passionate, informative and most importantly they are down to earth people.

Can't go wrong with theLupeXperience. Those who know him will know he's a top class guy.

lol @ someone who has zero idea of what transpired, starts his quote with ''supposedly'' then goes off to spew out misinformation after misinformation rotfl BottomNote clearly got mad bCoz I did not agree with him on 2 issues. I never attacked him, I simply asked a question in one instance and told him he was wrong for using foul language in another. Please, be sure of what you say before you say it.

Oupavoc obviously hasnt seen any of my reviews. Go check out my byKilian L'Ouvre Noire series for originality. Go check out my reviews of Hugo Boss Energize, La Nuit, JOOP, Dior Homme, DHI etc. for a supposed niche-head. Ppl need to stop the B.S. with niche vs. designer, theyr all fragrances, stop buying into marketing B.S. A fragrance smells good or it doesn't, who cares if it's labelled as whatever?

byKilian A Taste of Heaven Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk43_NXwNuo
    HUGO BOSS Energize Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNQQYe4PiE

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    He was supposedly picked on by a reviewer by the name of Lupe. His youtube name is TheLupeExperience. People say he is snobby for liking niche only because he looks down on people and reviewers that like designer fragrance. So bottom notes called him out and it escalated very fast and the use of profanity was added in the call out youtube video. Supposedly every review bottom notes was putting up Lupe was dissing him. We never got Lupes side...but BN wasnt the only one to say he was a snob and a jerk. To be honest I've seen a few of Lupes reviews...very boring. All he was doing is reading off a computer screen. Nothing original.
    Last edited by LupeX; 7th February 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Dracdoc
    Lilangry
    FRAGRANCEFANATIC1

Find them the most 'entertaining' and passionate about the fragrances they're discussing/testing.

Quote Originally Posted by LupeX View Post
    lol @ someone who has zero idea of what transpired, starts his quote with ''supposedly'' then goes off to spew out misinformation after misinformation rotfl BottomNote clearly got mad bCoz I did not agree with him on 2 issues. I never attacked him, I simply asked a question in one instance and told him he was wrong for using foul language in another. Please, be sure of what you say before you say it.

Oupavoc obviously hasnt seen any of my reviews. Go check out my byKilian L'Ouvre Noire series for originality. Go check out my reviews of Hugo Boss Energize, La Nuit, JOOP, Dior Homme, DHI etc. for a supposed niche-head. Ppl need to stop the B.S. with niche vs. designer, theyr all fragrances, stop buying into marketing B.S. A fragrance smells good or it doesn't, who cares if it's labelled as whatever?

byKilian A Taste of Heaven Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk43_NXwNuo
    HUGO BOSS Energize Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNQQYe4PiE
    Hey Lupe - I've been enjoying your reviews. Where are you from, looks (from out of your window) that you are in UK?

ThnX Dailey, you're too kind & I'm from the US. I moved to the UK for a bit, Im a scholar It's been a challenge juggling the demanding British Educational system with fragrance vlogging, but it's a challenge I relish!

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    fragrancebros (regional bias)
    Katie Puckrick (crush worthy)
    Le Grand Duc (best pronunciation)
    Mymickers
    Katie Puckrick can be funny at times as well as being "crush worthy." I don't remember if she said it in a video review or if I read it on her website, but I was dying laughing when she talked about how as a child she loved smells so much that she would even go around sniffing garbage. I thought I was the only one that liked smells enough, good or bad, to go around sniffing garbage and stanky bathrooms. That's probably too much info - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by LupeX View Post
    ThnX Dailey, you're too kind & I'm from the US. I moved to the UK for a bit, Im a scholar It's been a challenge juggling the demanding British Educational system with fragrance vlogging, but it's a challenge I relish!
    I thought that was probably the case - could obviously tell that you were from US, but the view out of your Window in one of your views, was deffo UK lol

Keep up the good work dude

Tswetcoff is my favorite. His reviews were the best. I wish he would do an update video telling us he is doing well in life. God bless Tim, he is the reason I purchased fragrances. His enthusiasm is what I liked the most. If his reviews were not online, I probably would not have gotten into this, and would be spraying obsession for men every day instead of trying many different and good fragrances.

Katie Puckrick Smells is another good one. I enjoy her reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robes08 View Post
    lol @ me having an ego. I have some self confidence in my nose yes, so yes after years of smelling fragrances (specially the years I've been on youtube , I have gone in overdrive and sniff everything I can) , so i am much more confident in pin pointing certain notes and what smells good together etc... i do not think (ego wise) that I think I am the end all and be all of fragrance reviewing, I always want the community to shine and want people to sniff as much as they want.

To respond to me being complacent in the past few years, well buying a a house getting married and having a child on the way slows down your motivation in reviewing. I still have the passion but the time is not there. I try my best to give the viewer the best experience on my channel and I pride myself on my testing of fragrances. I still test fragrances with over 30 wearings in a year within different seasons and occasions to really get a feel of the fragrance. I have upgraded my camera to full HD. You are not alone that many people want me to go back to the laid back 2010 style with 10 minute videos. I've been working on cutting the fat on my reviews to hopefully bring them down to that 10-12 minute range and cut the repetition once I am back.

I love hearing feedback about my channel without personal attacks of course, and I take it with a great pride and humility to try to give the subscriber the best product, but then again it is a free product for you to look at and it can't be perfect.
    Since you asked for feedback...

I like shorter videos rather than long ones.

I like getting the following information, top notes, basenotes, best price and where to buy, and reactions of people to when you wear the fragrance. Some of my favorite reviewers have little clips where they ask someone, do you like this. It's interesting to see reactions.

I enjoy your videos (i've only watched a few), but when I find a long video I try and click ahead to find where it has the information I want. If I can't find it, I close that review and search for another reviewer.

If you want to make long videos, cool, can you provide a table of contents at the bottom that says "notes 4:31, prices 19:12, rating 22:40", so we can fast forward to what we want to find?

Thanks. Your reviews are helpful and I appreciate all the help you provide in helping us pick fragrances that match what we want.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I don't like the youtube reviewers that I have seen. I prefer to read reviews, they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I had been watching a review by smellythoughts who is also good but doesn't have many video reviews (his blog is good and has more reviews).
    Aww thank you x

My favorites:
    Hiro yoruzuka
    Cubby cformosa
    Al from StreetScents

Also like mymickers, Patrick Youngblood, and Dmaster81

Glad I saw this thread. Didnt know le gran duc did youtube reviews so I will check him out there - love his posts on here. Will also check out some of the other folks mentioned.

robes08
    Pfalzgreven
    dracdoc

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Aww thank you x
    Yeh, I need to add Freddie to my list of fave reviewers. Extremely knowledgable and a fantastic guy too!!!

End of the day, I have a lot of respect for ANYBODY who has the stones to post reviews on YouTube. Don't believe it takes guts? You try it...

These people are not professionals. They're not being paid, and they're not famous people who are there to be shot at. They're people who love fragrance like everyone here does. They just enjoy expressing that in a different way through a different medium. They're just normal, every day people like everyone here. They all do this in their spare time for the love of the hobby and nothing more. Some of the attacks in this thread are shameful.

It's all too easy to be a keyboard warrior. I'll listen to people who want to slag off YouTube reviewers when they grow the balls to try it themselves.