Code of Conduct

Question Scents base on famous literature, authors, or events etc???

Hello all-
    I'm practically brand new to the scent field and have found it both invigorating and serene. I continously go to my bathroom to smell the various samples over and over... practically obsessively and it's not because I'm enamored with any one in particular but rather fascinated by... I'm not sure- the "it" of it, provocation of the senses I guess.
    At any rate as an archivist and enthusiast of classic literature the hunt is afoot for scents which are directly or indirectly related to literature.
    For example: scents named after famous books, or characters from books, or authors, or even the favorite scents of authors.
    Another example and a fantastic one at that- I found Bel Ami by Hermes. As most of you know, it is named after a famous French novel and it also happens to be one of my favorites. I smell it constantly and it ignites my imagination about an old poet from the story whose words are poetic in reason which are harsh but smooth and true much like the scent itself.
    I'm hoping to explore this angle of scent anyway; one based on famous literature, authors, etc...
    There's got to be someone who at least knows the favorite scents of some famous authors, Hemingway etc... I'm not talking Harry Potter here...
    There's another great one though Balafre- named after a historical figure which is another cool idea. If there's any scents based on famous historical characters also just let me know.
    I found that "Let me play the Lion" is named after a portion of Shakespeare play too... pretty cool stuff.
    Thanks all.

Default Re: Scents base on famous literature, authors, or events etc???

You know about Imaginary Authors? I thought that was an amusing literary conceit (although I'm unable to wear any of the fragrances). There is also the Amouage Library Collection, which seems to be more intended to hint at literary association.

You could look into Histoires de Parfumes - almost their whole line is based on historical dates / persons if you want to look in that direction.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Also, it would be best to keep your fragrances in a cool, dry place. If you shower in the bathroom where you keep your fragrances, that's probably not the best place.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Also, it would be best to keep your fragrances in a cool, dry place. If you shower in the bathroom where you keep your fragrances, that's probably not the best place.
    I happen to shower in a different bathroom but that's valuable advice. They're all kept in a cool, dry place as it were.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    You know about Imaginary Authors? I thought that was an amusing literary conceit (although I'm unable to wear any of the fragrances). There is also the Amouage Library Collection, which seems to be more intended to hint at literary association.
    Thanks for the great insight and the link!

Gatsby by Pacoma Parfums

La Reine Margot for the French Queen.
    DONNA

As mentioned already, Histoires des Parfums first perfumes take the name of writers, artists, and the like (eg De Sade, Casanova), even though I must say they don't really correspond to the inspiration (eg De Sade is a very smooth suede, not a whip leather).

The famous Guerlain Mitsouko also takes the name from the heroin of a novel, though a forgotten one. And the brand's Vol de nuit, I assume, must be inspired by St Euxpery.

cacio

I like to think that Fleur du Male was inspired by Les Fleurs du Mal.

ELDO's Tom of Finland comes to mind also. Querelle.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 21st January 2013 at 11:36 AM.

The Afternoon of a Faun by ELdO is a modern ballet now with music from a short symphony by Debussy and based on a poem by Stephane Mallarme.