Code of Conduct

Thread: Recovery

Default Recovery

After a year plus of admittedly obsessive collecting, I've suddenly slowed to a halt. I've probably got 120+ bottles and twice as many decants and samples, which means A) I've been buying multiple bottles and samples every week in this time period [95% via eBay] and B) I have much much more juice than I could use in two lifetimes. I've recognized the absurdity in this for a while, but it's only now that I reached the point when I really wanted to stop, and was able to do so without really stressing about it.

In the past month I've halted my collecting. I'm now planning to get rid of a fair portion of what I've accumulated, because I just don't need it. I can't exactly pin down what caused this shift, but for me it's a combination of:

1. Realizing how much money I've spent on this hobby, and resolving to save much more moving forward;
    2. Not visiting Basenotes every day;
    3. Getting re-inspired by my other longer-running passions (music and art) and shifting my focus back to these, and;
    4. Recognizing that, with every bottle I got, I felt a stronger charge to get my hands on the next one--psychologically, I think collecting is often more about what you don't have than what you do have

Don't get me wrong, I'm still fascinated by scent, and I will enjoy many of my frags for years to come. I'm not getting rid of my favorite bottles, I'm just learning to appreciate them for what they are, and to enjoy them in the moments that I'm wearing them. And I have come to appreciate that in a short time I've amassed a formidable collection, but enough is enough.

I didn't think I had a problem, and as many have pointed out, there are plenty of worse ways to burn through money. Nonetheless, I feel so much relief in cutting back and letting go.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by BenDayDot View Post
    ...psychologically, I think collecting is often more about what you don't have than what you do have...
    This is an interesting insight, and it seems to be even more true the more one amasses.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    This is an interesting insight, and it seems to be even more true the more one amasses.
    Yep, thrill of the chase, the wanting is more fun than the having, name your cliche. It's often very true.

Imagine all the perfumes you're missing out on.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, if you take a step back for a second, it's easy to see how fixated we can become in the littlest things.

I think that colognes are in some ways like women. There are a lot of really good ones, but we as people are insatiable, and eventually it's time to settle down.

I admire the OP for his willpower. Unfortunately I haven't been able to take that important step yet. Some day.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It isn't that I'm no longer interested in smelling new things, and I wouldn't claim that I'll never purchase another sample or blind-buy a bottle again. I just realized that I needed to slow my roll, big time, and it feels right to have done so.

Your point speaks to a real temptation, but given that there are tens of thousands of frags out there, many discontinued, and of course new ones launched every day, I accept that, no matter what I do, I'll miss out on the vast majority of them. Perhaps there are a few out there that I would love more than any I've yet experienced, and I'll never sample them. Whether I try one new scent a year or smell a new one every day, I'll never catch up.

The funny thing is, I'm still discovering "new" scents among the scads of perfumes I've already accumulated. Samples I tested once and forgot about, or things that came in a lot that I completely overlooked. It reminds me of when I'm at a bar, and the DJ spins some song that blows my mind, and when I find out what it is, I realize that I already have that record, and just never listened to it attentively, or all the way through.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

2. Not visiting Basenotes every day
    This is so true, I can not count how many times BN trigger me to desire buying more scents.

Surprisingly, almost everytime I find any scent interesting and want to know more about it, there are threads about it magically appear on 1st page of the forum --last time it were Carnal Flowers & Portrait of a Lady.

By the way, I really need to stop buying after I return from my vacation in Paris --I need to buy something from Paris since I do not think I would be able to go there again anytime soon-- because my bank account for daily expenditure is running low already --I still have around 13,*** USD left in my Long-term deposits account so I still have some emergency money.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

My "recovery", if it may be called like this, advances in small steps. Sure, I still enjoy my fragrance hobby, as much as I still enjoy testing and purchasing fragrances - but, while not being obsessively hooked on sales/special offers, I only buy the special offers on the scents I truly enjoy: it has at least two advantages. On one hand, I don't get stuck with fragrances I don't want or I don't fully enjoy, just because they were affordable, on the other hand, I get some, if not all or most of my favorites at a good price-quality ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Come on hedonist, that was a really low blow. Not nice at all...but very true.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Come on hedonist, that was a really low blow. Not nice at all...but very true.

It was meant in humor. Subtle humor & all that.

for swap/sale:

Good for you! At least you come to grips that you are a fragaholic. While the rest of us still have to have our fix. Just keeps calling our name...

Congratulations on starting a recovery BenDayDot

I've only got as far as the understanding that I like stuff, and that finding more of the right stuff (especially at the price I can afford) is really exciting.

Sadly, I collect two very expensive things- fragrances and minerals. I've even found myself selling some of the minerals in order to afford more fragrances (you can buy quite a lot with decent rough diamonds).

I need to work on living with less stuff and liking stuff less.

For me, it is the thrill of a "good deal" When I bought my Amouage Tribute Attar, It was $600 dollars most places, when I finally saw it on a webstore I trusted for $499, I HAD to buy it. I couldn't afford it...but the "good deal" was too good to pass up.

Were u pleased with it? Red or white box?

Sounds like you're a 'normal' scent-fiend to me, join the fragrance abusers, but maybe set a budget

Look at it this way....instead of buying, your new thrill and obsession can be selling the stuff you have acquired. With each bottle sold, you'll feel better and better.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Were u pleased with it? Red or white box?

Sounds like you're a 'normal' scent-fiend to me, join the fragrance abusers, but maybe set a budget
    Red box!!!

Think u need to check out 'off topic' section maybe?