Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amouage Reflection Man v MFK APOM

So this morning I pick up my decant of APOM, but remeber I have a sample of Reflection Man that I need to try. So, I put down APOM and give myself a couple of sprays of Relection Man and start off to work. About half way to work I am wondering if I was half asleep and sprayed myself with APOM after all. I pulled up the notes for Reflection Man and was amazed to see how similar they are to APOM. I have not done a side by side comparison, but I belive unless I actually saw the bottle I could not tell the difference between the two.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage Reflection Man v MFK APOM

Hello digge51, thank you for the info I will revisit my samples of APOM and Reflexion

Yes they are very very similar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did not get any connection whatsoever.
    Smellin good

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a little while since I wore either Reflection Man or APOM, but yes, I do remember some similarities between these two.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

A Piece Of Me from Francis Kurkdjian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    A Piece Of Me from Francis Kurkdjian
    LOL
    haven't thought about the similarity until i read this thread, i own Reflection Man but i never reckon it was similar to APOM.

Post Thanks / Like

It hit me after wearing APOM for a few days -- I definately smell a connection. Don't kill me, but there's a note I interpret as a kind of pencil eraser note which I find very pleasant and it's found (at least in my strange mind) in both.

FK has only released three notes for APOM: orange blossom, cedar and amber. There's gotta be lot more though, no?

Recently sampled Reflection Man and I agree 100%. Must be the bitter orange.
    There are minor differences ,like APOM has more body to it to my nose,but doesnīt change much. Reflection is more transparent ,but you can smell it has more notes in it,and changes more during the day.

The quality of the scents is evident in both and I also like both. I canīt say which is I like better at the moment.
    Last edited by eric; 20th July 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I canīt say which is I like better at the moment.
    For me MFK APOM anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I had a Reflection sample, but gave it away as I couldn't stand it - there is something sickening in it. However, this february in Paris at the Maison I bought APOM, and ever since then that's my signature scent, not far from being a Holy Grail. So, for me seemingly the differences are much more important than the possible similarities.

Post Thanks / Like

Side by side at work (quiet day) and I can see some convergence around the bright neroli / orange flower heart (who woulda thunk?) but then they move apart and seem quite different in tone to me.

I think of APOM as a fairly straight ahead sunny day scent in the Castile, AdP Colonia mould whereas Reflection is a considerably more layered and complex - it's an evening scent for me. Like 'em both a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the similarity. The amber in APOM takes it to a broad easy wearing informal/comfort scent especially once the citrus settles down. On the whole it also seems relatively simple. Quite a warm orange scent.
    ARM on the other hand smells quite green to me far more piercing, less broad more complex but also quite typical. To me this is a cooler green scent.
    Basically completely different to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about this for a long time .. i have them both , they are remarkably similar !

Post Thanks / Like

I think APOM is a much better scent. I am liking Reflection less every time I wear it. The drydown is the only thing keeping it in my wardrobe.

Apom is better and the two are nothing alike
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've gotta say, I definitely see the similarity. They're very much alike to my nose.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I feel that reflection is closely related to le male. Anyone else get that?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I feel that reflection is closely related to le male. Anyone else get that?
    I agree, they're both closely related to Le Male, which (along with APOM) was created by Francis Kurkdjian. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    They must be very distant relations as I did not get any connection whatsoever.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't discount what OP is saying, as I've made certain connections with fragrances that many on here don't agree with.

Reflection Man often gets compared to Le Male and maybe Antico Caruso gets thrown in there too.

I think APOM is similar to Prelude to Love by Kilian, with the orange blossom note. But APOM is more powdery.

One is a rip-off of Le Male topnotes and one is a "orange blossom flanker" of Gaultier2. To my nose there are no similarity between the two except for they both steal - oops I mean "borrow" - something from Jean-Paul Gaultier
    Last edited by jasonx; 20th January 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I don't get the similarity. The amber in APOM takes it to a broad easy wearing informal/comfort scent especially once the citrus settles down. On the whole it also seems relatively simple. Quite a warm orange scent.
    ARM on the other hand smells quite green to me far more piercing, less broad more complex but also quite typical. To me this is a cooler green scent.
    Basically completely different to me.
    I agree with this completely. Reflection Man is one of the few frags I would describe as "piercing" but not in a pleasant way to me. Only wore it once though and it literally gave me a headache. Maybe if I tried it again, with an extremely light hand, I'd pick up similarities between the two, but right now I don't see any connection either.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    One is a rip-off of Le Male topnotes and one is a "orange blossom flanker" of Gaultier2. To my nose there are no similarity between the two except for they both steal - oops I mean "borrow" - something from Jean-Paul Gaultier

Just to clarify what you wrote - Kurkdjian made Le Male, Gaultier2, and APOM so he is only stealing or "borrowing" from himself.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say "improving" on his own work instead of "borrowing" personally.
    Last edited by Partario; 21st January 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Not sure if you know, but MFK was/is the nose behind those two scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Reflection Man turns into a chocolate gourmand on my skin during the later drydown. Absolutely adore this fragrance.