Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leather, now what?

I have been working on for the past 8 weeks or so a leather accord using only naturals. I had some stinky stuff that I thought was irredeemable but did, in some moments have a vague reminiscence of leather....sort of. But it was hollow, metallic and just odd. When my new materials arrived recently I thought why not and dabbled some more with this concoction just trying to see if it could be turned into anything at all. After another 2 weeks rest I have....a leather accord. It's quite a strong leather note, being like the smell of a fine pair of boots or a leather folio. It's not light like gloves or suede or handbags. And dries down powdery, floral but still leather.

My question is, what do I do with this? Leave it and wear it as it is. It's quite nice and I can't stop sniffing it. But a straight leather fragrance has never been anything I'd been into before. Or should I try and evolve it into something more? I'm a bit scared I'll upset the balance and end up with a mess again. Maybe I should just enjoy the delightful accident for what it is.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leather, now what?

*I THINK* that you should do this:

1. Enjoy it for what it is. Be with it, wear it, learn from it, learn what it might be when it grows up.
    2. Savor your victory that you've sought for. Fragrance Creation is a patient pastime. It cannot be rushed usually.
    3. Work on something else now, and after you relish your success, wear it, and learn what is in it's facets, then, put it aside.
    4. Come back to it in 3 months when you've forgotten what it smells like, and conduct an evaluation as to what you think of it then.
    5. Upon your 3 month review, envision what will compliment it and fill it out even further, and build a fragrance with it as a major part.
    6. HAVE FUN!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Nice idea. I think I will do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no perfumer, so I cannot help with the details. But two of my favorite frags are leathers, and you could play on the same accords. Bandit is leather + galbanum - s&m effect. Jolie Madame is leather + violet: whips and laces.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I think pkiler has given some very sound advice; these things take time. Apart from the two fragrances mentioned, you could look at an Aromatics Elixirs type of fragrance; leather plus jasmine. I have thought that Leather with Sandalwood and Tea Rose would make a fabulous fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Loads of good advice here.

I'll just add that whatever else, I trust you have the formula carefully recorded so that you can make more of it when you want to: if not get it recorded now before you forget what you did.

That being so you can always have a play with it whenever the mood takes you. If you find you've upset it with whatever you added, you can always make some more of the original version and start again. I do this all the time. In fact when I've made a successful accord I often split it into several equal parts so that I can try out a few different things and compare them.

Paul's item 6 is the key!
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, I did carefully record the formula in every incremental step and wrote notes on what each incarnation smelt like. Looking back I see I have frankincense in there which surprises me because I don't remember adding it. Good reaon to keep notes I suppose. I think I might make another batch just to ensure its repeatable and to play with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I think pkiler has given some very sound advice; these things take time. Apart from the two fragrances mentioned, you could look at an Aromatics Elixirs type of fragrance; leather plus jasmine. I have thought that Leather with Sandalwood and Tea Rose would make a fabulous fragrance.
    Nice suggestions David. I adore Jasmin and can't get enough if it. I'm thinking about a Jasmin\tobacco scent soon. I have a lot of trouble with rose though, it seems watery and tends to just meld into other materials rather than standing out. I guess I'll have to get some aromachemicals to help it out if I want to make it a feature note. My first inclination was for a rose leather combo but the leather kept drowning it, adding a little geranium bourbon helped but then I get a herbal note with that which isn't always desirable.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ClaraAus;2820387Nice suggestions David. I adore Jasmin and can't get enough if it. I'm thinking about a Jasmin\tobacco scent soon. I have a lot of trouble with rose though, it seems watery and tends to just meld into other materials rather than standing out. I guess I'll have to get some aromachemicals to help it out if I want to make it a feature note. My first inclination was for a rose leather combo but the leather kept drowning it, adding a little geranium bourbon helped but then I get a herbal note with that which isn't always desirable.[/QUOTE]

These things take time, and a lot of trials. I'm sure you will get there. Rose notes can be difficult to play with, depends what you have available.