Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amouage - an insult if rated along with other niche / regular fragrances

Hello all,

I just joined a month ago, but have been following and getting great reviews and ideas from basenotes for abt 2 yrs or so. So this being my first post, I hope you don't find it controversial with the title, as each person has his / her own fav parfum / cologne and with good reason.

That said, I own a fair bit of niche and top end parfums from most of the top parfumers. I grew up in India where my grandfather's friend was a maker of ether based fragrances and later on had the chance to sample a lot of the newer manufacturers of oil and alcohol based wood / oud / floral fragrances in India - very raw to begin, but very pure to the end.

Now to my topic - started using Amouage line a few yrs back and I am unable to compare it with any other fragrance around - their fragrances to me are the highest level and any other parfumer around the world can only aim to reach Amouage's level. The purity, character and quality of almost all their parfums are mind boggling and takes time to understand.

Current day parfumers who come close (but well below) Amouage's level's in my opinion will be Malle, MKK & Lutens / Montale, in that order. While Amouage's line tends to middle eastern vibes / oud based, having owned / sampled from almost all the Western parfumers / exclusive collections etc, I am unable to consider Amouage at the same level...

Thoughts?

Default Re: Amouage - an insult if rated along with other niche / regular fragrances

Have you tried a Guerlain at all?

Default Re: Amouage - an insult if rated along with other niche / regular fragrances

I can't believe I haven't tried any Amouages yet....
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I have and own their Vetiver, Mouchoir, Habit rouge, have sampled Derby, Heroes and a few more of their older classics, a few exclusives among them as well - I like them very much and they are definitely excellent parfums, no doubt...However, to choose one over probably a million existing parfumss is difficult and to me Amouage seems on top of everything else I have sniffed / worn...

Quote Originally Posted by kocy View Post
    Have you tried a Guerlain at all?
    Yeah OP you should try some Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I can't believe I haven't tried any Amouages yet....
    Eggy, pm your address I'll send you a few sample!
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 21st January 2013 at 02:49 AM.

Amouage is no doubt a stand alone in the industry. Top notch in my book!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Aha, looks like you have your winner

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Amouage is no doubt a stand alone in the industry. Top notch in my book!
    Then explain the abomination that is Gold Man :P I know, it's surely got its fans, but I found it rather awful.

Amouage have certainly impressed me with some of their scents, despite falling short of my admittedly very high expectations with Lyric Man. I can understand the love for this house, admire their bringing Middle-Eastern scents to the relative mainstream, and would very much like to try their attars.

That having been said, there are no Amouage fragrances that I think are head and shoulders above everything else out there.
    I'd sooner spend the cash on a bottle of Iquitos, a bottle of Egoiste and either Cuir d'Arabie or Cuir Mauresque.

Basenotes Plus

Glad you found love in the Amouage line but if it is indeed as superior as you claim, you will not find it necessary to knock down other niche lines nor will it require a controversially phrased thread title. Every style of fragrance has its merits. I'm sure nobody is foolish enough to claim a classical symphony to be the best piece of music ever composed not, when there are equally enjoyable counterparts in the other styles incl. rock, jazz, blues, pop, etc. Often it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Welcome to Basenotes. I'd encourage you not to stop at Amouage. Imho greater knowledge always brings one a healthy dose of humility.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Glad you found love in the Amouage line but if it is indeed as superior as you claim, you will not find it necessary to knock down other niche lines nor will it require a controversially phrased thread title. Every style of fragrance has its merits. I'm sure nobody is foolish enough to claim a classical symphony to be the best piece of music ever composed not, when there are equally enjoyable counterparts in the other styles incl. rock, jazz, blues, pop, etc. Often it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Welcome to Basenotes. I'd encourage you not to stop at Amouage. Imho greater knowledge always brings one a healthy dose of humility.
    Well express word by word, was thinking of the same thing...
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

Thoughts?
    I tried a few releases when I visited MiN in NYC and was not at all impressed (Interlude Man and Jubilation XXV). It might have been the whole atmosphere of MiN (heavy dose of incense as soon as you come in) that made it difficult to know where each fragrance began and the overall incense ended, so I'm reserving final thoughts after I've had some more time to sample their line.

Well said & I totally agree...My intention here was to see the reactions from the many basenoters because of the way I wrote the forum - no intention to ever put down any of the parfumers or to annoint amouage as # 1, although my subject does say so.
    I felt that the way I started this forum or the subject line will bring out the best reactions from the basenoters who have their own favorite's & why they disagree with Amouage's line...

I just started collecting less than 2 yrs ago and every day, the most difficult decision I make is to choose which parfum / cologne to wear. They are all great in their own way...With the 70 odd that I have, I actually will not say Amouage's my # 1 choice, it'll be in my top 20 though...

Apologies if the title hurt anyone...

bump
    Last edited by EndlesslySurprised; 21st January 2013 at 04:24 PM.

I wouldn't say they are the best out there, but they do have some of the nicer fragrances out there. I searched around for the best incense fragrance for a month or so only to loop back to my first love, Memoir Man. I also really dig Jubilation XXV (own a 10mL decant), but I find it hard to wear due to its opulent nature.

Amouage, like most other houses, has its winners (Jubilation XXV, Memior Man, Lyric Man), and ones that would be better used for self-defense (Interlude Man).

Some incredible fragrances to pick from, but Amouage alone certainly would not cover all my needs/desires.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I wouldn't say they are the best out there, but they do have some of the nicer fragrances out there.
    Totally agree. Personally, I love Interlude Man and I am very impressed by several other Amouage scents, but I think just as highly of Andy Tauer's work. I'd say the same of Tom Ford. And many others, frankly. I had great fun sniffing the CB I Hate Perfume collection one day and was bummed to find the local store that carried the line had closed.

I think people often make the mistake of thinking their favorite is also "the best." That's silly. There's no shortage of brilliantly crafted perfume, even if it isn't to each of our particular tastes.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

The old Amouages (Gold, Ubar) were indeed a notch above most others in terms of richness, whether one liked them or not. But I feel Amouage has been watering down its masterpieces, in part in response to IFRA, in part, I presume, in a process of Creedification. It is also spitting out too many perfumes, and quality control (that is, batch variation) seems to be as bad as that of their Creed model, at least for the attars.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The old Amouages (Gold, Ubar) were indeed a notch above most others in terms of richness, whether one liked them or not. But I feel Amouage has been watering down its masterpieces, in part in response to IFRA, in part, I presume, in a process of Creedification. It is also spitting out too many perfumes, and quality control (that is, batch variation) seems to be as bad as that of their Creed model, at least for the attars.

cacio

I've not tried many from the line, but reading about Amouage on several blogs, I get the same impression as you do. There are many comments now saying the dreaded; They used to be good.

So something happened, an that something seems to have affected the older fragrances as well as the new ones. People are mentioning lack of potency, lack of depth. It could be because of a need to follow current regulations, or substituting top notch materials for cheaper alternatives to increase profits; they are in this to make money after all.

Was personally never impressed with any in the line I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Was personally never impressed with any in the line I tried.
    +1 on that. A lot of them were scrubbers, in fact, for me.

Although I really love Amouage and own a few of them they move along the same line, just like hearing blues records all the time, I agree with you Lutens is great and worth the cost, but if you try Guerlain or some YSL vintage you won't regret it at all, some vintage designer juices put the whole niche scene to shame!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

First of all, Amouage are greats scents. Period.

But, before comparing an Amouage/Malle/other niche fragrances each other, compare it with the old scents from the past.
    Try compare an Amouage with Patou pour Homme (1980), Paco Rabanne (1970) , Monsieur Rochas (any vintage) only to name a few .
    These "old" perfumes are "on par" with Amouages, and can be purchased at a fraction of the price .

This subject thinks that nothing produced today can match the timeless sophistication and impeccable contstruction of the perfumes created by Jacques Guerlain and Edmond Roudnitska. When you smell things like Mouchoir de Monsieur, Shalimar, Eau d'Hermes or Eau Sauvage, you get a feeling that they were perfected upon for a long time. Reason for this is most likely that they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    First of all, Amouage are greats scents. Period.

But, before comparing an Amouage/Malle/other niche fragrances each other, compare it with the old scents from the past.
    Try compare an Amouage with Patou pour Homme (1980), Paco Rabanne (1970) , Monsieur Rochas (any vintage) only to name a few .
    These "old" perfumes are "on par" with Amouages, and can be purchased at a fraction of the price .
    Composition-wise, arguably yes, quality of ingredients...? Real question.

Amouage indeed is exceptional, i've visited their factory, and have seen some of the ingredients, no doubt - very good price/performance ratio, unfortunately i've only liked Epic Man and Opus VI, others although were excellent..just a tad too opulent for me, it remains to be seen as i am keen in sampling BELOVED MAN,Tribute and Homage Attars Soon.
    Last edited by benzganesh; 21st January 2013 at 07:52 AM.

It's all relative really. Whatever trips your trigger.

Basenotes Member

As someone who has purchased Amouage in the past I am sorry to say that in my opinion this line has lost its way.

Very well said. To add to your classical music analogy, Beethoven's 9th symphony is considered by many musical historians to be the most perfect single composition ever written. I love Beethoven, I share a birthday with him, but my favorite of his symphonies is the 6th. Miles Davis was brilliant, Mozart was phenomenal and the Beatles were a dazzling example of song writing and musical talent coming together at the perfect moment in time. Falling in love with a particular house is almost inevitable but don't let that deter you from experiencing other house's fragrance with the same open spirit and lack of preconception.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

^- That.

And I also have it on good account that the attars take less work and are far less complex than the EDPs. Those who think the EDPs are all junk and the attars are great, that's fine, but know that it's not that more work or effort is put into the attars. I love the house and actually like the way their newer scents seem to be 'more focused' than the earlier, baroque compositions such as Gold.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Amouage is truly a great house but personally I still find other lines and/or perfumes that are definitely at the same level if not, occasionally higher...Puredistance, O'Driù, JAR, countless Guerlains, some Chanels, some Lutens, Malle, Patou, Vero Profumo...way too many.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

unfortunatelly i love Amouage, but the classics like Gold, Ubar,Jubilation 25, Dia a bit, Interlude for w. is yummie, but can be replaced though...i adore attars , i dont know any house that makes such potent pure perfums as they do....

i dont like when pure parfum is only skin scent, with amouage you get the real thing....and i like arabian perfumery style without many oakmoss....but if i were a man ..i dont know their male scents dont knock me down at all!! smell ordinary like other houses...but its true all their perfumes smell very natural....do they put more of natural ingredients?? its really great house for women ...they do seem to be easier available then high end of Serge Lutens...or Guerlains! at least in my country, thats why i love them so much!

Amouage's fragrances are mediocre at best in the perfumery world. Common! Are you talking about the house that create "Reflection of Le Male"?

I get your point and I have to agree that some Amouage fragrances, but definitely not all, are way above most other House's offerings. It looks as though, chronologically, you got into Amouage pretty early on and this could be an issue, i.e. why bother searching for inferior scents? You will find other fragrances that will knock your socks off from a lot of houses, sometimes most unexpectedly. I suggest you have a look at Serge Lutens, Histoire d'Parfums, Andy Tauer even Etat Libre... for a fresh perspective.

Sound Scents

A great house for sure and I too am a fan, but many others are just as good or better, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Thoughts?

Good for you. You can focus on all things Amouage and nothing else.

We all have different reasons for coming around and motivations behind our enthusiasm. Narrowing down the universe of what's out there according to what I like is one of mine. In terms I understand, you've narrowed it down quite a bit and that'll probably save you both time and money in the long run.

Such a shame Lyric Man smells like a body lotion for women with rose oil.
    Plus others have told me that it smells vile on me, sour and sweaty.

Honestly, I bought the sample set and was not hugely impressed.
    There is a lack of depth. They smell "hollow" to me. Even synthetic.
    Something like l'Air du Desert Marocain is ten steps above the current offering IMO.
    Dior's Eau Sauvage Parfum is of higher quality to my nose.
    The only one I really like is JUBILATION XXV.
    I like the name of the brand, I really like the design of the bottles but the pricing is ridiculous.

I don't want to insult anyone who loves this house or discourage Amouage in any way. This is all constructive criticism here!

The ingredients are potent and very impressive. BUT, I think they are too quick to launch new fragrances before they are actually ready for the public to use them. Problem I have with Amouage is they often just try too hard and miss the mark with the finished product. My favorites from the line are Jubilation XXV, Memoir Man and Opus VI. I also like Homage Attar, Tribute Attar and Epic Man - they are very fine. I consider these to be excellent and as certainly as good as many other house at the top, but really not better than everything else! It seems to me that Amouage has experimented around with interesting ingredients to produce six new perfumes for the Opus Library collection with the result of one that I can wear - VI! Maybe I am the exception or just too critical. They produce a lot of "hit or miss" with very expensive ingredients and expensive end product of fragrance. The final results seem to be good, but often miss the sweet spot somehow for me anyway, see: Interlude Man, Honour Man, Gold, etc. Amouage launch too many fragrances that are not ready for the public just yet. The sad thing is that they might have been great launches if they had just adjusted the formulas some more. I think they are too quick to launch new things. It is probably a result of the amount of money that is flowing in the Arabic perfume markets in the middle east. Amouage have many fans who have lots of money and really want new things so it keeps them moving. Too fast and too much in my opinion.

I find I agree with Richaki above "As someone who has purchased Amouage in the past I am sorry to say that in my opinion this line has lost its way." The new Amouage fragrances need tougher editing prior to launch, imo. There needs to be more rigorous testing among people who can offer critical opinions. So many Amouage fragrances have a thread of something that could be great but then fall short by over mixing heavy ingredients, or over emphasizing certain aspects then losing the simplicity of it all. They need to test wear these fragrances more before launching them, imo.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st January 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I don't want to insult anyone who loves this house or discourage Amouage in any way. This is all constructive criticism here!

The ingredients are potent and very impressive. BUT, I think they are too quick to launch new fragrances before they are actually ready for the public to use them. Problem I have with Amouage is they often just try too hard and miss the mark with the finished product. My favorites from the line are Jubilation XXV, Memoir Man and Opus VI. I also like Homage Attar, Tribute Attar and Epic Man - they are very fine. I consider these to be excellent and as certainly as good as many other house at the top, but really not better than everything else! It seems to me that Amouage has experimented around with interesting ingredients to produce six new perfumes for the Opus Library collection with the result of one that I can wear - VI! Maybe I am the exception or just too critical. They produce a lot of "hit or miss" with very expensive ingredients and expensive end product of fragrance. The final results seem to be good, but often miss the sweet spot somehow for me anyway, see: Interlude Man, Honour Man, Gold, etc. Amouage launch too many fragrances that are not ready for the public just yet. The sad thing is that they might have been great launches if they had just adjusted the formulas some more. I think they are too quick to launch new things. It is probably a result of the amount of money that is flowing in the Arabic perfume markets in the middle east. Amouage have many fans who have lots of money and really want new things so it keeps them moving. Too fast and too much in my opinion.

I find I agree with Richaki above "As someone who has purchased Amouage in the past I am sorry to say that in my opinion this line has lost its way." The new Amouage fragrances need tougher editing prior to launch, imo. There needs to be more rigorous testing among people who can offer critical opinions. So many Amouage fragrances have a thread of something that could be great but then fall short by over mixing heavy ingredients, or over emphasizing certain aspects then losing the simplicity of it all. They need to test wear these fragrances more before launching them, imo.
    Beautifully put, with the right amount of nuance!

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Such a shame Lyric Man smells like a body lotion for women with rose oil.
    Plus others have told me that it smells vile on me, sour and sweaty.

Honestly, I bought the sample set and was not hugely impressed.
    There is a lack of depth. They smell "hollow" to me. Even synthetic.
    Something like l'Air du Desert Marocain is ten steps above the current offering IMO.
    Dior's Eau Sauvage Parfum is of higher quality to my nose.
    The only one I really like is JUBILATION XXV.
    I like the name of the brand, I really like the design of the bottles but the pricing is ridiculous.
    Sour and sweaty? All i get is soapy rose accord and a very slight incense vibe int he dry down. But nothing vile, if antyhing i would say it smells like a very expensive women's shampoo. I agree, Jubilation if my favorite along with Reflection.

Some hits, some misses, some wannabes and some premature ejaculation.

for swap/sale:

Received my sample order today which included 8 Amouage samples. Will try them out soon.

Blog Entries

I've tried many, many different houses over my time wearing fragrances, and honestly, I have NEVER found a House that I liked every fragrance. Even my favorite MONTALE has some colossal duds, as does my second favorite Mona d'Orio. I am suspicious of ANYONE who unabjectly loves every fragrance in a house.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

How can you have a post like that, but not provide us with your top 5 Amouage scents to try?

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Sour and sweaty? All i get is soapy rose accord and a very slight incense vibe int he dry down. But nothing vile, if antyhing i would say it smells like a very expensive women's shampoo. I agree, Jubilation if my favorite along with Reflection.
    I don't get anything sour and sweaty out of it.
    But I was told it smelled sour and sweaty on me.
    And yes, I did take a bath before applying it lol.
    I'm not paying a top price for something that smells like a women's shampoo/lotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I don't get anything sour and sweaty out of it.
    But I was told it smelled sour and sweaty on me.
    And yes, I did take a bath before applying it lol.
    I'm not paying a top price for something that smells like a women's shampoo/lotion.
    Agreed..it was one for me that i fell in love and then did a 180 since it was just too feminine for me...

Amouage is one of my favourite houses, but I agree that they have a fair number of unsuccessful fragrances. Ciel, Silver and Dia are all unremarkable to me, and Opus VI is poor in my opinion. JXXV ranks among my overall favourite fragrances, and Honour Man is up there as well. I would say they fit quite nicely with other niche brands, in terms of quality and composition. Along with By Kilian, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Guerlain, Mona di Orio, etc. I can't wait to try their attars though, and currently have a sample of Tribute en route.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Are you talking about the house that create "Reflection of Le Male"?
    Amouage produces some exceptional fragrances (Amouage Gold for women is one of my all-time favorites) and some unfortunate ones. It is unfair to make a sweeping generalization that Amouage is superior to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post

Very well put, sir!

I think Amouage started losing its way around the releases of the Epic duo and the first three Opuses. That would be from 2010 onwards (I'm assuming the first 3-4 Opuses were already done and dusted in 2009). Since then, only Opus IV has been a winner in my book.

It's also a pity that, since then, the last two Opuses have very synthetic bases, while the regular releases masquerade as unadventurous department store designer fragrances.

IMHO every Attar I own is a treasure. Only one missing is the sandalwood....(sigh, my unicorn).
    The EDP best for me are Interlude Woman(truly unisex), Interlude Man, and Epic Man in that order.
    For me this is my Fave house. That being said, there are many Frags out their I love/enjoy. As with my music, what I wear is decided by my mood, the weather, and what I am doing.
    I couldn't limit myself to just one House nor do I mind being rated next to others. Opinions vary and how people value/perceive scent is part of the fun.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

LOL! Very impressive!

I was never really won over by the attars. But, once you factored in lack of samples, batch variations and leaking bottles, it was very difficult to change my opinion. Oh, well... at least I saved some money!

Oh how I have wanted to try Amouage since I discovered the huge world of Niche fragrances about a year ago...but, alas, I haven't as of yet...Jubilation has been on my list for a long time. Wait, I just remembered that I received a sample of Memoir Man last February and I thought it smelled a little ash-trayish...but then again, I was just beginning to understand that there were fragrances that pushed beyond many designer fragrances, so I didn't really "get" it. I will have to give it a smell again.

Amouage definately gives me that "rich" vibe when i smell their frags

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I was never really won over by the attars. But, once you factored in lack of samples, batch variations and leaking bottles, it was very difficult to change my opinion. Oh, well... at least I saved some money!
    May I ask, please - which attars do you know, and which ones did you sniff in more than one batch and what are your impressions regarding batch variations... also which attar you've bought had a leaking bottle? (It happened only once to me so I am curious.) Thanks.

bravo! :-)

- - - Updated - - -

don't forget, NOSES are creating great perfumes, not companies or houses. Bertrand Duchaufour created Jubilation XXV, Amouage financed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    unfortunatelly i love Amouage, but the classics like Gold, Ubar,Jubilation 25, Dia a bit, Interlude for w. is yummie, but can be replaced though...i adore attars , i dont know any house that makes such potent pure perfums as they do....

i dont like when pure parfum is only skin scent, with amouage you get the real thing....and i like arabian perfumery style without many oakmoss....but if i were a man ..i dont know their male scents dont knock me down at all!! smell ordinary like other houses...but its true all their perfumes smell very natural....do they put more of natural ingredients?? its really great house for women ...they do seem to be easier available then high end of Serge Lutens...or Guerlains! at least in my country, thats why i love them so much!
    the 2 more "natural smelling" houses IMHO are not the most potent; L'Artisan Parfumeur and Creed. Even their last releases are smelling natural to me. But who cares?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I've not tried many from the line, but reading about Amouage on several blogs, I get the same impression as you do. There are many comments now saying the dreaded; They used to be good.

So something happened, an that something seems to have affected the older fragrances as well as the new ones. People are mentioning lack of potency, lack of depth. It could be because of a need to follow current regulations, or substituting top notch materials for cheaper alternatives to increase profits; they are in this to make money after all.
    Should have laws against reformulation WITHOUT telling consumers what they change in their perfumes. If I want to buy a 300$ bottle I don't want it to be watered down! ex: Lyric Man have a good potent 5-6 hours on my skin, but it's 300$ plus!
    Last edited by Jean-Maurice; 22nd January 2013 at 06:26 AM.
    My "Lucky 13" top perfumes (They can change often)
    1- Jubilation XXV (Amouage) Bertrand Duchaufour
    2- Lyric Man (Amouage) Daniel Visentin
    3- Tubereuse 3 Animale (Histoires de Parfums) Gérald Ghislain
    4-
    5- Interlude Man (Amouage) Pierre Negrin
    6- L'Instant de Guerlain Extrème (Guerlain) Béatrice Piquet
    7- 1740 Marquis de Sade (Histoires de Parfums) Gérald Ghislain
    8-
    9- Derby (Guerlain) Jean-Paul Guerlain
    10- Chergui (Serge Lutens) Christopher Sheldrake
    11- De Profundis (Serge Lutens) Christopher Sheldrake
    12- Memoir Man (Amouage) Karine Vinchon
    13- Dior Homme Intense (Dior) François Demachy

I have to agree. From my collection of 40+ , Amouage is surely unique.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:58 AM.

The nose and mind behind many Amouage classics was Guy Robert.
    I suggest to try his older scents, to name a few: Calèche, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas (the original versions, of course)

Must be difficult when you've made classics like Guy Robert's original Gold & the original Homage.
    Hopefully, the new factory complex will help advancement and the attars might have more quality control - there is a limit beyond which simple batch variation doesn't wash.
    But maybe demand exceeded their original capabilities.
    I understand that Ayoon Al Maha, for example, has a production interruption at present - that is the correct way to maintain respect imo, provided IFRA regulations don't affect future batches

Many of their Attars are good, but I never liked any of their EDP's enough to want a bottle.

I did purchase a decant of Epic Woman Extrait once, and enjoyed it. Thanks Trebor.

I cant believe if the perfume world wont have Amouage. I love Amouage and think most of their scents are so special and different.