Code of Conduct

Default Dark aoud & encre noir

Do they smell similar? Or differnt enough to own both? I have sampled encre noir and really enjoyed it. But I haven't sampled dark aoud.

Default Re: Dark aoud & encre noir

Only as close as vetiver smells like sandalwood, not much...EN seemed pleasant enough but there didn't seem to be anything exciting in it, DA is also big hit here on BN and I think it deserves it. You could own both IMO.

They smell very different from each other, Encre Noir opens with a smoky woodyness that drys down to a pungent sour vetiver note that lasts a long time. Dark Aoud opens with a dry yet fresh sandalwood accord mixed in with Oud. It's smoky and enigmatic and it has this leather accord within its composition which goes really well with the others notes when it shows itself.

It is worth sampling Dark Aoud as you may like it better.

The share some synthetic woody notes but the overall smell of these fragrances, is very very different.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Pretty different. Both are heavy, dark woods frags.

To me they are very different from each other.
    EN iis mainly smokey Vetiver, cypress and soft musk loaded with Iso E Super. DA is mainly oud (very clear) and sandalwood.
    They could easily have their places in the same wardrobe.

Both very different to me.

EN has this (in my opinion) disgusting and fake musk-note! I really liked EN in the beginning, but now not so much anymore! DA smells like I imagined EN would smell - I really like it.

Depending on how many fragrances you've smelled in your life, they might smell quite similar.

If I were to touch DA, it would be a sharp blade or hot water. It would look like a black hole had swallowed all the light and color around. DA does not know what sweetness is.

EN would look and feel like powder coffee. It's thick, dark brown, dry but somewhat moist. EN (compared to DA) knows what sweetness is but never pronounces this word.

They're both good but I think I prefer EN as I find it more versatile.

too me, they're very different

They are totally different genres. Encre Noir is a smokey vetiver. Montale Dark Aoud, is an agarwood and sandalwood fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    They are totally different genres. Encre Noir is a smokey vetiver. Montale Dark Aoud, is an agarwood and sandalwood fragrance.
    Totally different, as explained above...

Dark Aoud smells like furniture and Encre Noire is in the running for most grating fragrance ever made.

Two different scents. I love Dark Aoud but I am not crazy about EN. EN just didn't perform on me and it was off my skin rather quickly.

I was ready to keep Dark Aoud in heavy rotation but now I hear Montale is watering down juices. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    Depending on how many fragrances you've smelled in your life, they might smell quite similar.

If I were to touch DA, it would be a sharp blade or hot water. It would look like a black hole had swallowed all the light and color around. DA does not know what sweetness is.

EN would look and feel like powder coffee. It's thick, dark brown, dry but somewhat moist. EN (compared to DA) knows what sweetness is but never pronounces this word.

They're both good but I think I prefer EN as I find it more versatile.
    Very good description of both scents!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Two different scents. I love Dark Aoud but I am not crazy about EN. EN just didn't perform on me and it was off my skin rather quickly.

I was ready to keep Dark Aoud in heavy rotation but now I hear Montale is watering down juices. Too bad.
    Where did you hear that Montale is "watering down juices"?