Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos Star USA pulled from Macy's

At the local Macy's, the employees were boxing up John Varvatos Star USA so it could be returned to Elizabeth Arden. Not sure if it's just this Macy's or chainwide (if you have seen it yanked elsewhere, feel free to sound off). Other Varvatos fragrances (original, Vintage, Artisan, and Artisan Black) were not affected.

On a different note, 1 Million did surprisingly well. The SA thought that Star USA was nothing special, and 1 Million was unique to the designer market. I'd tend to agree with her there...
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    3) Back to Black - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sur la Plage

Default Re: John Varvatos Star USA pulled from Macy's

Coming soon to a Marshalls/TJ Maxx near you!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I almost bought this yesterday when I was at Macy's it was $52 for the 50ml. Its nice nothing special...but the SA didn't look like they were ready to pack them up.

Probably nothing that will be missed.

A little of topic...but what do you guys think of the John Varvatos House?

They should pull the whole line, far as I am concerned. Don't like a one!

I think the line is okay. I really liked the first two, but I'm ambivalent about Artisan, don't care for Artisan Black, and Star USA is a joke. It seems like something an Ed Hardy-like designer would release, not a brand with an already well-established footing in the industry. It was a big step back for them...
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Byredo Black Saffron

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

I think Varvatos makes better frags than a huge majority of designers. Before I found basenotes, Artisan was one of the only frags I liked out of a store full of synthetic smelling junk. The SA at Nordys gave me a bunch of samples and Terre d'Hermes was the second designer I liked. I also have Versace Black Jeans and so far haven't found a 4th designer frag I'd want to own.

Star USA is not a very Varvatos-like release. Maybe they should have kept the bottle theme that the rest of his scents have, I don't know. I like the juice--it's hugely groundbreaking, but it's one of those scents that impressed me a lot as I wore it more and more. The topnotes are good but a bit generic-- the drydown is quite attractive on skin.

I don't think the juice is the culprit entirely, I think the way it was marketed (the bottle-- not right for the juice, the lettering font was very juvenile, the name-- kind of childish too)

Again, the juice itself is reminiscent of Joop Rococo Homme mixed with Marc Jacobs Bang. Too bad it seems to be a flop because it didn't have to be...

I've sniffed it a couple of times at Dillard's & Sephora, and thought Star USA was kinda nice. (it's actually the only Varvatos I've tried that I kinda liked). I probably wouldn't pay full price for it, but if it hits TJ/Marshall's/Ross, I may grab a bottle. (only thing I didn't like is the goofy packaging).

On a side note, I'm glad to hear 1 Million is selling well. I don't care how much criticism this one takes for its bottle and popularity, I honestly think its the best release (designer or niche) in the past couple of years.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I have not found any worth purchasing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I have not found any worth purchasing.
    Yea.

Maybe they will get their shit together and release something that people will look twice at. Its like they have know clue who the buying public even is.
    Want to trade - Tauer LddM for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Gucci Envy....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Blog Entries

My thoughts EXACTLY!!
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

For sure!!!
    Gary

Bought this for $29.99 at Ross today.

so glad i didnt waste my money and time on this house tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I only enjoy john varvatos vintage from this house. most of line lacks in longevity.

I love this but wished it were stronger
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Thought the original was decent and considered buying it. Glad I held off for a few years, none appeal to me whatsoever anymore.
    "The most beautiful sea hasnít been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasnít grown up yet. The most beautiful days we havenít seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I havenít said yetÖ"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

JV 10th Anniversary Ltd. Edition is fantastic.
    A creamy, warm, dry, cinnamon, patchouli scent. It reminds me of L'Instant

JV USA is godawful and hands down the worst bottle ever made!

I tend to like the JV line, but Star USA was pure crap to me... and the bottle did suck... I don't have too much of a problem with the others longevity like many have mentioned here, but Star USA disappeared on me very quickly! We still had it on our shelves the other day, but I will welcome the day when this one is gone.. I don't ever show it and have no problem telling people it's not a good frag. Even the rep from JV admitted she didn't like it.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

OK, so Star U.S.A. is only half dead... apparently the 1.7 oz has been discontinued and was recalled, but the frag itself is definitely still being made and being pushed. Sadly, I still don't think it's very good nor does it last long
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Maybe it's because I'm new and don't know any better, but I LOVE the JV line (except Star USA...which, by the way, was still at my local Macys last month). Vintage was the first cologne that actually made me say "mmmmmmmm" every time I put my wrist to my nose. I didn't buy it because it wasn't what I was looking for at the time, but I would gladly swap the three bottles listed below for one new bottle of that stuff. Artisan Black is another favorite (and also on my wish list). I know people complain about how long they last, but both Vintage and Artisan Black went a good 7-8 hours on me...I can accept that!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Easily the worst fragrance of the decade.

Out of the many recent frags I've tried, Star is fine, though certainly not a "must have" for the aficionado. I would much rather wear it than Bleu de Chanel, for example (which would likely make me feel ill quickly). As someone said on the recent BdC thread, if you ave 300+ frags and this is one of them, you might wear it a few times a year if you are being fair and not jumping on the hater bandwagon (assuming you like variety, as I do). I'll certainly swap my bottle off if I get a good offer, but in the meantime I'll wear it once or twice a year and enjoy it.

To me, the original is the only one worth checking out if you haven't already, but as the current owner of two 4.2oz bottles (trying to move one of them), I can say that the longevity is certainly lacking.

I too really like the first one and agree that Star is lacking in longevity, but it's certainly not a "chemical nightmare" or anything like that.

This is now being sold at Target for $18.99 a bottle. Probably about right in price.

I had a small sample bottle of star, which I thought smelled liked everything else. The 3.4 oz bottle was being sold one day at Canada's version of Walgreens for $19.99 Canadian (not that different from American dollar). I bought it for kicks, seeing 100 mL of a formerly $70 bottle being a good deal. Bottle is cool looking but the cap is annoying. The scent is pleasant. It's not offensive and light and becomes a close to the skin scent after about an hour. I sprayed it on one day to school, and 6 hours in, I figured it faded by then but a female friend hugged me and complimented me saying I smelled good. I honestly wasn't expecting a compliment, especially from a faded fragrance 6 hours in!

I saw it pulled off from Sephora and other retail places. I do believe this is an underrated gem, but I can see why it is probably discontinued now. A rare decent fragrance, however, I'll wear it casually and probably mostly to the gym.

I was able to sample this about a week ago and in spite of the horrible reviews I thought it smelled pretty good. The citron, juniper, and woods combo is nice. It reminded me of another fragrance that I couldn't put my finger on. I imagine this is one that is destined to be hated within the fragrance community but in the real world it's just a safe inoffensive masculine scent that most would think smells fresh and nice. At the heavily discounted price it is something I would consider picking up for casual wear, going to the gym, running errands, etc. The cap is ridiculous, though.

Bought Star cheaply, blindly and got my moneys worth

Then I returned it because it just was really average - or less....and there are many- many better fragrances out there

As for the House - meh - I have not found anything (currently available0 good enough to purchase - just average

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerIII View Post
    Bought Star cheaply, blindly and got my moneys worth

Then I returned it because it just was really average - or less....and there are many- many better fragrances out there

As for the House - meh - I have not found anything (currently available0 good enough to purchase - just average
    You are right on. The whole line has been disappointing to me. I've owned nearly all of them and sold every single one off. Just not good enough.

Thank Chuck

I must say that I have utilized Basenotes for some time as my buying guide - this has not always worked out (informed blind buys) but I know it has saved me a lot of time, money and from making more bad scent purchases!

Star USA had potential. Smells great but far too weak and in that goofy bottle that makes using the product stressful. Like Chuck, I've yet to find a gem in the line.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Good. Thank the Lord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing special, I don't miss it at all!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit