Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Dior Homme , Homme Intense, Homme Parfum: 20-bottles review (pictures)

Okay, here it is : confrontation of "Year 2014" batches of Dior Homme, Homme intense, Homme Parfum
    A 20-different-bottles monster review.
    Enjoy!

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...and-homme.html

Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Default Re: Dior Homme , Homme Intense, Homme Parfum: 20-bottles review (pictures)

As always, great research. Very informative! Thanks Andre.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Default Re: Dior Homme , Homme Intense, Homme Parfum: 20-bottles review (pictures)

Thanks for supplying this for many to learn from!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for sharing such an extensive and fascinatingly knowledgeable presentation about a great contemporary fragrance range.

Great work!

When are you going to take on the Bleu de Chanel reformulation rumor???

Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Pre-Launch Super Batch Edition)

Basenotes Junkie

"About Dior Homme: thankfully, there isn't any difference in Dior Homme. The sample from Year 2005 and the one from Year 2014 smell exactly the same. I would say, if you buy Dior Homme, pick any bottle you find. All bottles are fine."

Well that is wrong, the silver tube version clearly smells different.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Well, he also says

All six "year 2014" batches are similar each other. There is no difference between "Year 2014" and the "Year 2013" sample.
    Most interesting (see below at the end of the page), is the fact that there isn't any valuable difference between the first bottle produced in 2005 and the last one.
    (Please note I'm perfectly aware many people claim "new is better than old" and/or "old is better than new". In this case, I honestly affirm "old and new are pretty the same", at least about DH)

Thanks Andre , useful explanations there

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    "About Dior Homme: thankfully, there isn't any difference in Dior Homme. The sample from Year 2005 and the one from Year 2014 smell exactly the same. I would say, if you buy Dior Homme, pick any bottle you find. All bottles are fine."

Very confusing indeed. I'll be honest to say that I've not done a side-by-side comparison between the vintage silver stem & the black stem, but when I spritz some black stem at Sephora, I detect not as much Iris and it's not as "rich". Will get a sample next time and do a thorough compare.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Member

What about 4s01?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tekdan20 View Post
    What about 4s01?

What about it? Thats the 2014 batch which is the same as the 2013 batch.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Thank You Andre'... This is Fantastic work!!! Great info!!!

While I'm not denying that there may be some differences, I think those focusing and worrying about the differences they perceive also have to keep in mind that depending on various factors (your mood or sensitivity that day, the weather, your environment, tiny variations in how you applied the scent) even the same scent from the same bottle can be perceived as different, and the psychological phenomenon known as expectation bias means that you will perceive differences just because you subconsciously expect to, so it is important to take these factors into account even though it is impossible to be completely objective.

DAMN IT i have one of the shittier batches apparently

2T03 - June 2012

oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by emilking View Post

2T03 - June 2012

oh well..
    And I bet you liked it just fine until someone told you it was subjectively shitty

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post

Agree with hericurls. 2005 does not smell like 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    And I bet you liked it just fine until someone told you it was subjectively shitty
    ahaha correct.
    I still love the scent (one of my top 3)!

Quote Originally Posted by emilking View Post

2T03 - June 2012

oh well..
    my DHI was produced in December 2012 and I love it. I still have like 35ml left but when I'm about to run out I'm gonna buy a new bottle so I can compare them. I love this scent probably the most of all I own.

edit: oh yeah and great review OP, thanks for the info

You know Andre, every time I see you post one of these threads I almost know what you're going to say:

"There are differences, very slight and negligible"

Yet each time I tend to disagree as the batch variations might as well be different fragrances/flankers due to how the notes get shuffled around. Either way I appreciate the effort you put in but I do find it weird that you never seem to spot some of the blatant tweaks in frags.

Thanks Andre, very good effort...
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Andre

Great work. Its good to see an honest attempt to cut through all the BS on forums about reformulations and such. Everytime a house changes its packaging a panic/rumor erupts and people constantly make the false leap that a package change is a reformulation. Nope, maybe the house just decided to save money on packaging costs. Changing vendors to save $ on packaging costs is a helluva lot cheaper than a reformulation. Kudos to you and the shop owner friend who are to get to the bottom of things. The sad part is that many of these rumors are started by people with an agenda. And their motive is profit. Get the marks to keep buying their "vintage" (used) cologne off their Ebay or sales threads. Create the illusion that the batch that they own is somehow the magic elixir that the rubes must seek out. And then sell it to some sucker for a premium.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Pre-Launch Super Batch Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    While I'm not denying that there may be some differences, I think those focusing and worrying about the differences they perceive also have to keep in mind that depending on various factors (your mood or sensitivity that day, the weather, your environment, tiny variations in how you applied the scent) even the same scent from the same bottle can be perceived as different, and the psychological phenomenon known as expectation bias means that you will perceive differences just because you subconsciously expect to, so it is important to take these factors into account even though it is impossible to be completely objective.
    This is a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    Andre

Great work. Its good to see an honest attempt to cut through all the BS on forums about reformulations and such. Everytime a house changes its packaging a panic/rumor erupts and people constantly make the false leap that a package change is a reformulation. Nope, maybe the house just decided to save money on packaging costs. Changing vendors to save $ on packaging costs is a helluva lot cheaper than a reformulation. Kudos to you and the shop owner friend who are to get to the bottom of things. The sad part is that many of these rumors are started by people with an agenda. And their motive is profit. Get the marks to keep buying their "vintage" (used) cologne off their Ebay or sales threads. Create the illusion that the batch that they own is somehow the magic elixir that the rubes must seek out. And then sell it to some sucker for a premium.
    +1000 this!

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    +1000 this!
    +10000

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    As always, great research. Very informative! Thanks Andre.
    So agreed! Thank you Andre for the time and effort you put into sharing this insightful information. I enjoy your blog.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Thank you for you detailed comments, guys.
    Obviously, the main goal of these works is getting an impartial point of view.
    Surely it is more subjective than objective, but at least it's an attempt to get an honest and unbiased opinion.
    Perfumery is too subjective in many cases, and I think it should be good trying to consider it in a "scientifical" (and not only "passionating" ) way.
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Perfumery is too subjective in many cases, and I think it should be good trying to consider it in a "scientifical" (and not only "passionating" ) way.
    I very much appreciate your thought Andre. ..
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

I have a chance of getting a Dior Homme 2005 again.
    I just squeezed the last bit of my Dior homme 2005 and loved every bit of it. Haven't had the chance to sample the 2013/2014 version. I also do have Dior homme Intense 2011. And DHI 2005 is different enough to justify having both. But I heard that the new Dior Homme reformulation is more DHI alike. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaikick View Post
    I have a chance of getting a Dior Homme 2005 again.
    I just squeezed the last bit of my Dior homme 2005 and loved every bit of it. Haven't had the chance to sample the 2013/2014 version. I also do have Dior homme Intense 2011. And DHI 2005 is different enough to justify having both. But I heard that the new Dior Homme reformulation is more DHI alike. Is that true?
    Read Andre's topic. You'll find your answer there.
    Some favorites: Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial, Amouage Epic Man, Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL M7, YSL Kouros (vintage), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Gucci Pour Homme (2003), Hermes Bel Ami (vintage), Hermes Equipage, Chanel Antaeus (vintage), Chanel Pour Monsieur (vintage), Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Guerlain L'Homme Intense, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Etro Palais Jamais, Etro Vetiver, Etro Shaal Nur, Davidoff Zino (1st), AdP Essenza, AdP Intensa Oud, Gianfranco Ferre For Man (vintage), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Knize Ten, Calvin Klein Obsession (vintage), Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque Hesperides, Byredo Accord Oud
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo

I did. Just wanted to hear more opinions.

I had a Dior Homme 2012/09, sold it and now just smelled a new one( probably 2014/2015). I much prefer the newer one.. There is a extra not I can't identify.. some say cardamom? anyways I really like it and just ordered a Dior. I hope it is one of the newer 2013/2014 batches.
    Last edited by Thaikick; 5th May 2015 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks for the info... thanks to the information I just learnt I have a 2005 batch of Dior Homme (I knew I had the vintage formulation but I just didn't know just how old)
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier