Code of Conduct

Default Your successes with layering male fragrances

Bond No 9 Bryant Park overwhelmed me when I tried it on. Seemed VERY feminine. I decided to tame it with Polo Green. WOW. I felt like a millionaire in an exclusive 80s night club.

Default Re: Your successes with layering male fragrances

I layered Meharees with Pure Havane and it was fantastic.

Have only layered different concentrations of the same scent. Otherwise, no layering for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Bond No 9 Bryant Park overwhelmed me when I tried it on. Seemed VERY feminine. I decided to tame it with Polo Green. WOW. I felt like a millionaire in an exclusive 80s night club.
    You TAMED something with Polo Green.
    Far out.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Far out.
    hahahahaha Yeah....ironic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Far out.
    hahahahaha Yeah....ironic.

Polo Green is a very nice scent (to my nose) so that makes sense.

Two that I've heard of,

Angel Men + Either Pure Malt or Pure Havane.

YSL L'Homme & D&G The One.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

A recent favourite of mine is one shot of Fleur Du Male with one shot of Cerruti 1881.
    Rich ultra floral with citrus streak.

I love layering fragrances and that seems to make me a bloody carcass in shark-infested waters on these boards. I find it fun to find something enjoyable and different.

I enjoy layering "simple" or "one note" fragrances with other more complicated fragrances to produce the more complicated fragrance with one added characteristic. For example, yesterday I layered I Profumi di Firenze's "Tabacco" with Smell Bent's "One" (dusty paperback atop vanilla-soaked woods) to reproduce "One" with a tobacco note. I was very pleased with the result - a heavier, earthier, tobacco-y "One."

I've also layered Demeter's "Cannabis Flower" or "Dirt" underneath woodsy (Dsquared2's He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood), vetiver-based (Lalique's Encre Noir), and/or orientals (Etro's Shaal Nur) with great success.

Have fun!

Himalaya + Platinum Egoiste is a combo i've been using the past few months, works really well.

I don't layer normally, but one I did by accident turned out very nice:

1 million + Acqua di Parma Colonia (very easy on the 1 million tho)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Has anyone tried a tobacco+leather?

That would be good.

Bond No 9 Andy Warhol smells(to me), like tobacco, vanilla, and leather. That is an amazing frag.

Chinatown Animale animale

I've had great luck and many compliments by layering Unforgiveable with Polo Black. 2 sprays of Polo Black to 1 spray of Unforgiveable. Women love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyboi View Post
    Chinatown Animale animale
    I'd have never considered this one. I'll have to try it.

I have layered Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Oud Wood. As well Tuscan Leather with Tobacco Vanille or Oud Wood. Those all work pretty well.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Joop PH + Jubilation XXV. The rich and slightly spicy fruitiness of Jubilation smooths and tones down the potent spiciness and sweetness of Joop and makes it smoother, while inversely, the Joop adds to the sweetness and spiciness of Jubilation, giving the fairly understated Jubilation a bit of an edge.
    I call the two "Joopilation".

Tobacco Vanille layers really well with Tuscan Leather.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Polo Green is a very nice scent (to my nose) so that makes sense.

Two that I've heard of,

Angel Men + Either Pure Malt or Pure Havane.

YSL L'Homme & D&G The One.
    I've done the A*men with Pure Malt before, but this one makes sense because they are related. It works quit well. I'll have to try the A*men and Pure Havane some time.

Serge Noir plus Rousse plus Tuberose Criminelle...big hit!
    Interlude plus Epic Man... scored yesterday!

I've had great fun with this.

He Wood Silver Wind Wood + L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme (2:1)
    Wonderful evening scent, adds a bit of woodsy powder to the Guerlain's enveloping cacao drydown. Elicits a stronger response from women than anything else I've worn before or since.

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood + L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (2:1)
    Great for a brisk yet sunny spring day. The Miyake's sweetness is tempered by a smooth vetiver bite that stands out but still melds well with the yuzu due to its creaminess. Just be careful to be sparing with the Miyake; it can take over before you know it.

Animale Animale + Michael Jordan Legend (2:2)
    The concentration here might seem high, but I find that both these fragrances' bottles have subpar sprayers so two sprays of each are needed to get any decent amount of liquid out. If your bottles are better, consider it a 1:1 instead. There's something in Animale's top that sits uneasily with the full-on sweetness of Legend, but about twenty minutes in, everything blends together into an incredibly singular accord. This is a sweet and funky date night scent, really quite remarkably unique. Would not wear this casually.

Live Jazz + Terre d'Hermes (2:1)
    Sweet, dirty, sunny, fresh. The perfect thing for an outdoors party on a summer evening.

Edit: Almost forgot this flat-out amazing combination:

Eau des Baux + Aventus (1:1)
    The incensey woods of EdB and the pineapple sweetness of Aventus are truly a match made in heaven, and later on they switch places gracefully as Aventus transitions into musk and woods while EdB turns up the vanilla. This combination is absolutely incredible, and it elicited an amazing number of positive reactions. Just be careful to not overdo it, since these are both relatively powerful scents. One spray of each is plenty.
    Last edited by manatee; 10th March 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Tv + tl

I enjoy layering Lush perfume with Dirty perfume to get a fresh, minty, jasmine note especially in the summer. The effect is like having icy, cold, honey, jasmine tea with a touch of mint on a sizzling hot day.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 22nd June 2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: My English sucks :)

Adding a touch of Amouage Sandalwood Attar to Santal Noble works quite nicely.

In fact adding it to pretty much any supposed sandalwood scent will probably help.

Bois des Iles Extrait can be used the same way - both of these provide a real mysore base.

Never layered, find it a waste for both parfums that are involved.

Also never felt the need to - i test 2-3 times before buying a FB, not into decants, so all that I buy are for what they already are, not what they might be if I layer them.

Found a very interesting combo by accident the other day - Dior Homme Sport with Dsquared Silver Wind. Wow..

However, when I say "layering" I have to specify that the actual application should be separate so that each fragrance "breathes" independently. Like spraying Dior on the left wrist and Silver Wind on the right. Same with neck, two different scents each side..

Is that how layering is generally done? Cause it seems like a logical way to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Found a very interesting combo by accident the other day - Dior Homme Sport with Dsquared Silver Wind. Wow..

However, when I say "layering" I have to specify that the actual application should be separate so that each fragrance "breathes" independently. Like spraying Dior on the left wrist and Silver Wind on the right. Same with neck, two different scents each side..

Is that how layering is generally done? Cause it seems like a logical way to do it...
    Thats how i layer personally, but some people actually mix two separate scents into an atomizer and then spray and it also works well. I layer quite a bit and most times more than i wear individual scents. I dont find it as waste at all since some scents tend to miss a note that i like in another scent. Also, with the size of the frags i own, this is a way to go through and actually enjoy more of them.

Never layered - as much as I don't "layer" food and don't watch 2 movies at the same time. But I do envy people who take the time to try layering and have succes in it.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Herms - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Never layered - as much as I don't "layer" food and don't watch 2 movies at the same time. But I do envy people who take the time to try layering and have succes in it.

You never eat Ice Cream with Pie, Or Salad and Dressing, or Surf and Turf?, what about Picture in Picture?

Xxx
    Last edited by papillo; 22nd April 2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post

I layer by applying one fragrance on top of another but that's just me.

Found another wickedly good combination - Annick Goutal's Sables with I Profumi Di Firenze's Tabacco. Tabacco also layers exceptionally well with Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe and Parfum di Nicolai's Baladin.

Default Your successes with layering male fragrances

In terms of bond, try

Bleecker Street
    Scent of Peace for Him
    Manhattan

all bonds are compatible to be layer with another

A half spritz of One Man Show to chest, 2-3 full spritz Macassar as a layer, a spritz of pure ISO E Super as a second layer. Imo a good recipe, works for me.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

My best Layering (extremely complemented by women) is: Aventus + Millesime Imperial Layering. Just try it and you will see what I mean.

People layer food all the time. A sandwich is nothing but layering. Chips & Salsa. That's two entirely different foods are combined.

How about drinks: a black & tan. MMmmmmm. Baileys in coffee. Hot cocoa with Kahlua or peppermint. Or Kahlua and peppermint! Even better.

I can't think of an example of layering in movies, but people layer music all the time. It's called sampling though.

The trick to layering fragrances is this: Pay attention to more than just the top notes. It's easy to pick two scents that seem to smell good together, but if either of them evolves over time, as most fragrances do, you could end up with a disgusting mess. I rarely layer scents, but when I do, I'm a big believer in utilizing minimalism. It's much easier to successfully layer simple scents than complex ones. Molecule 01, 02 and 03 are easy to layer with because each of them is linear. In winter, I layer Molecule 01 with Choco Musk.

Bond no 9 fragrances are often (but NOT always) good for layering with each other because Bond re-uses so many components of their scents again and again - especially bases. Bleecker Street with Scent Of Peace For Him is probably a winner. I'm a fan of New Haarlem layered with New York Amber. In fact, I think the two smell better together than either does on its own. If Bond sold the two combined in one bottle, I'd probably buy it.

I met a guy who swears that Fahrenheit is good for layering. I don't have the guts to try it though
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    People layer food all the time. A sandwich is nothing but layering. Chips & Salsa. That's two entirely different foods are combined.

How about drinks: a black & tan. MMmmmmm. Baileys in coffee. Hot cocoa with Kahlua or peppermint. Or Kahlua and peppermint! Even better.

I can't think of an example of layering in movies, but people layer music all the time. It's called sampling though.

The trick to layering fragrances is this: Pay attention to more than just the top notes. It's easy to pick two scents that seem to smell good together, but if either of them evolves over time, as most fragrances do, you could end up with a disgusting mess. I rarely layer scents, but when I do, I'm a big believer in utilizing minimalism. It's much easier to successfully layer simple scents than complex ones. Molecule 01, 02 and 03 are easy to layer with because each of them is linear. In winter, I layer Molecule 01 with Choco Musk.

Bond no 9 fragrances are often (but NOT always) good for layering with each other because Bond re-uses so many components of their scents again and again - especially bases. Bleecker Street with Scent Of Peace For Him is probably a winner. I'm a fan of New Haarlem layered with New York Amber. In fact, I think the two smell better together than either does on its own. If Bond sold the two combined in one bottle, I'd probably buy it.

I met a guy who swears that Fahrenheit is good for layering. I don't have the guts to try it though
    Yes but technically a scent is already a layering of components and accords (which in turn are a layering of notes)!
    That sound so "too much for me". I know I make sandwiches sometimes, but for me a scent is exactly a (even more complex) sandwich. So the example would be more like layering a dish of pasta with sauce, with a beef steak, or a soup. Two different recipes "melting" together.
    I know it must be easy to layer with Molecule 01 - that's a soli-molecule! I bet it can go good with anything... however I'll try something, this layering thing sounds fun. I actually already do it when I test scents sometimes but I don't pay attention to it.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Herms - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

however I'll try something, this layering thing sounds fun.
    In my opinion, layering *IS* indeed fun. Many on these boards criticize layering as ruining two things that are already good. Sure, that can happen (which is why L'Homme Blanc Individuel's advice to pay attention to more than just the top notes is sagely), but you can also find combinations that are both different and better than their component parts.

Layer away!

Yes but technically a scent is already a layering of components and accords (which in turn are a layering of notes)!
    Keep in mind that many foods we combine every day are already a combination of ingredients. Look at all of the stuff that's in salsa, for example. Look at the ingredients list in just about anything.

It's funny how we do what we're used to, and we think anything else is weird. Would you pour Coca Cola in your beer? Probably not. That sounds weird, right? Well, when I lived in South America, people did it all the time. The mix was usually something like 4 parts beer to 1 part Coke, which is no different than 4 sprays of one scent with 1 spray of another. When I layer with Molecule 01, I usually wear 3 sprays, plus 1 spray of something else (unless it's Choco Musk, since that's a roll on. But I only roll on a tiny bit).

Layering doesn't have to be 50/50. 2 sprays of NY Amber plus 1 of New Haarlem works for me.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 22nd April 2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhandy!!!!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    My best Layering (extremely complemented by women) is: Aventus + Millesime Imperial Layering. Just try it and you will see what I mean.
    Agreed!!!
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37

My theory is using polarizing frags (e.g. Dirty English and Mont Blanc Individuel). Just did Costume National Homme and A*Men

I find layering an interesting idea - Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanilla worked well together (the saleswoman tried to push that too hard though). That being said, I find layering risky business. I can understand an oud oil or musk oil as a base added to a musky or oud based scent but otherwise it ventures into the fragrance equivalent of Girl Talk for music - a lot of things jumbled together and not always working.

So far, like mentioned on a few other threads, my only significant layering success was Dior Homme, a fragrance I do not particularly like on its own and Yves Rocher Eau de Cedre Bleu, the latter an unisex Eau Fraiche with a significant woody influence. The result was stunningly powdery in a pleasant way, very rich and smooth on the nose, while the woodier notes in the second fragrance effectively counterbalanced the too heavy sweetness in the first one. A few unexpected compliments also ensued.

The combination of Voleur de Roses and Al Oudh by L'Artisan fulfilled my rose and filth need and got complimented by a Uber driver when catching a ride to a local lounge one night

My best mixes:

- 2 chest sprays "L'haie fleurie du hameau", a jasmin soliflore by L'Artisan + 2 neck sprays Caron's Third man

- 2 chest sprays of Diorella + 2 Eau Sauvage

- Christmas mix: Sables + Hritage

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    Nice..gotta try it some day! But you can beat TL layered with Aventus , had people literally coming out of everywhere asking what was I wearing!!!
    Last edited by magnus611; 23rd June 2014 at 03:22 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

This thread is inspiring... I can't wait to try 1) MI + Aventus, 2) EdB + Aventus. Will also try Tuscan Leather with EdB!

So far I have only tried Tuscan Leather with Aventus - this works great! And EdB with Oud Wood which was also very nice....

Just starting to experiment - have no strong opinion on the pros and cons - sometimes it's good sometimes it's not. Most difficult thing (for me) it getting the proportions right. Some combos which might seem good on paper are no good because one swamps the other. Have had some success with Jo Malones (which are made for this of course), JMs and other things (today it's LBM and DHC2013) and my favourite - VC&A Tsar and R&G Jean Marie Farina EV (lots of JMFEV, very little Tsar!).

A little spray of ferrari uomo and couple sprays of ck obsession night. Very interesting combination...
    Last edited by lollero; 24th June 2014 at 09:39 PM.