Code of Conduct

Default La Via del Profumo (Profumo.it) - I ordered a custom perfume!

I saw the ad for a custom perfume on Profumo's website and thought that I could try it. You can choose up to seven essences with which the perfume will be created. You have to be really sure about the ingredients because the perfume will be made only with these essences and you have to trust the perfumer's blending skills! I picked the following notes: Frankincense, Myrrh, Rose, Jasmine Sambac, Clove, Tobacco and Castoreum. The perfume should go in a deep woody and resinous direction with some floral notes. I am very curious how the perfume is going to smell? Humble as I am I chose my first name as the name of the perfume: "Alexander"

I will keep you informed how the perfume smells when I receive it.

How exciting and what an interesting notes list! I look forward to an update.

Default Re: La Via del Profumo (Profumo.it) - I ordered a custom perfume!

I hope that I will like it. I must admit that I am a bit nervous how it will turn out.

Curious to see what you think when you get it.

Just subscribing to keep an eye on how things unfold.

I ordered a few of his pre-made ones not too long ago. They're fantastic, I'm excited for you!

He is a top class perfumer and genuinely uses the best ingredients available. I know everyone says that but he really does.
    Brilliant stuff.

Wow sounds great, very interesting idea, i also want to order a custom made fragrance. It is like your own style.

Awesome!

Hmmm... now I want to make my own lol
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I ordered a few of his pre-made ones not too long ago. They're fantastic, I'm excited for you!
    I have samples from almost all of his "Scents of the Soul" and my favourites are "Mecca Balsam" and "Hindu Kush". Since two years(!) I couldn't decide whether to order "MB" or "HK" or both. Then I thought: "Okay, if you have doubts and can't really decide between the two, then take something else because there must be some reasons why you hesitate to buy one of the two." Then I saw the ad for the custom perfume and just ordered it without much thinking.

Banned

lovely!! i wish i can think 2 years.....usually when i can not decide i buy both haha

notes seem interesting...i loved Grezzo the most, it has castoreum blend that i have not smelled anywhere else, smells like fruity woody....and masculine at the same time and has good performances...

according to your notes i think it will be very much different from Hindu Kusch....i think Mr. Durbana makes excellent male fragrances

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Just subscribing to keep an eye on how things unfold.
    yep

Yesterday I received my custom perfume. Well, better said two custom perfumes!

When I chose the notes with which the perfume should be composed I wanted also to choose Oud, but there was no option for it, so in the comments-section I said that to Profumo. He made two versions of the perfume, a non-Oud version and one with Oud. He sent me both bottles and I should keep the one that I like the most and send the other one back. But it came how it had to come: I liked both versions! I asked Profumo how much it would cost to keep both bottles and for 100 Euro more I am now proud owner of two custom perfumes! I think the additional cost for the second bottle is very fair considering that the additional cost for Oud alone is 300 Euro which is on the option list now under "rare fragrances"!

So, how do the perfumes smell like?

The non-Oud version smells very fresh and clean with a strong Frankincense-note and nice floral accents. Surprisingly this has better longetivity on my skin than the Oud-version!

The Oud-version smells darker with a nice smoky Oud. This one has good longetivity on fabric. The Oud-note is not very strong but it's there. In both perfumes I have problems detecting the Tobacco and the Castoreum, but I am still exploring the perfumes.

Do I have something to criticise? Of course I have, it wouldn't be me if I hadn't!

Longetivity is not that good, but this is not a surprise for a natural perfume. And the perfumes are quite safe and polite with a little bit too much emphasis on the rose but they are very sophisticated.

All in all I like both versions very much and like wearing them, they remind me of my childhood but I don't know why, and it's so cool to spray something that has your name written on it!

Banned

Oh that sounds nice, i was thinking when reading the notes how is he going to mix castoreum with all those clean fresh airy notes, so i think this is nice you cant feel too many of them, it sounds like that perfume can be unisex too?

Congratulations :-)

Congrats!

I have a few favourites in the line - sounds like a great idea to go bespoke like this.

That's pretty rad!

@ iivanita: Yes, both perfumes can be considered as unisex. This is good because I am quite young (30) and have a teenager-like appearance. Too masculine wouldn't fit me!

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations!! I had my eye on that bespoke option since I got to know of the outfit a couple of years back but iirc the option had been closed for a while. Now this thread has got me all excited. But I'm curious... what else was there in the brief? Just a list of notes?

Anyway, time to save up. I might want some iris root! And oakmoss!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd February 2013 at 10:41 AM.

I ordered a set of 6 minis a while back. Probably liked Hindu Kush & Sea Wood best. Longevity of most wasn't the greatest but that is the price you pay for not using synthetics. If I really liked one enough to buy a bottle I wouldn't let that put me off necessarily. Portable atomisers are cheap.

I made a comparison to some samples of the "Scents of the Soul" that I have and the perfume that smells the closest to both "Alexander"-perfumes is probably "Holy Water". Both perfumes are equally spiritual and uplifting without being dogmatic but also very friendly and light.

I wonder if Profumo will make both "Alexanders" available for others in his "Outsiders/Private Collection"?

- - - Updated - - -

@ Diamondflame: The procedure for this type of custom perfume is very easy. Choosing some notes and trusting in Profumo's blending skills! If I remember correctly there was once an option for a more in-depth procedure for a custom perfume where the customer was more involved with samples etc., but at a much higher cost. Here you have to really trust the perfumer and choosing only notes where you are sure that you really like them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Congrats!

I have a few favourites in the line - sounds like a great idea to go bespoke like this.
    Definitely!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the reply, Hoschhti. You must have a couple of winners in your hands for Holy Water happens to be one of my most loved Scents of the Soul.

I'm a big fan of Salam/Dubrana's work. I have not decided if I'd go with herbal leathery chypre or a green floral incense.

In post #13 I wrote that the perfumes have "a little bit too much emphasis on the rose", but after further exploring I think it's not just the rose, it's a combination of rose and clove buds that creates the image of a dark and sweet rose.

Basenotes Plus

I've been a fan of Salam (aka Dominique Dubrana) for a while now. Though It's taken me more than a year I have finally decided to follow hoschhti's footsteps and recently custom ordered a fragrance to commemorate my upcoming birthday. I figured resurrecting this thread is better than creating a new one.

The 7 essences I've chosen:

Mimosa* (reminds me of my carefree childhood, mucking about among the weeds & furry mimosa flowers)

Violet Leaves* ( I'm a big fan of Fahrenheit & Grey Flannel )

Galbanum (I love Eau de Campagne, Chanel No.19)

Cardamom (cold spice found in many of my favorite fragrances)

Elemi (favorite lemony resin -something to lift the fragrance as necessary )

Oakmoss* (miss this stuff!)

Castoreum (versatile & multi-faceted fixative)

*3 most prominent notes

Fragrance name? I initially thought of calling it 'MLC' (short for 'mid-life crisis', lol) but settled for my BN moniker. After all its been 5 years since I joined BN and now's as good time as any to mark the occasion and celebrate my birthday, killing 2 birds with a single stone. Well, make that 3 birds IF the missus decide to pick up this particular tab.

Now I'm left wondering which direction this will take. Probably a bittersweet green floral with mossy leathery undertones. Any other possible iterations based on the selected notes? Anyway, I'm definitely in for a surprise.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 25th September 2014 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I've been a fan of Salam (aka Dominique Dubrana) for a while now. Though It's taken me more than a year I have finally decided to follow hoschhti's footsteps and recently custom ordered a fragrance to commemorate my upcoming birthday. I figured resurrecting this thread is better than creating a new one.

The 7 essences I've chosen:

Mimosa* (reminds me of my carefree childhood, mucking about among the weeds & furry mimosa flowers)

Violet Leaves* ( I'm a big fan of Fahrenheit & Grey Flannel )

Galbanum (I love Eau de Campagne, Chanel No.19)

Cardamom (cold spice found in many of my favorite fragrances)

Elemi (favorite lemony resin -something to lift the fragrance as necessary )

Oakmoss* (miss this stuff!)

Castoreum (versatile & multi-faceted fixative)

*3 most prominent notes

Fragrance name? I initially thought of calling it 'MLC' (short for 'mid-life crisis', lol) but settled for my BN moniker. After all its been 5 years since I joined BN and now's as good time as any to mark the occasion and celebrate my birthday, killing 2 birds with a single stone. Well, make that 3 birds IF the missus decide to pick up this particular tab.

Now I'm left wondering which direction this will take. Probably a bittersweet green floral with mossy leathery undertones. Any other possible iterations based on the selected notes? Anyway, I'm definitely in for a surprise.

Thoughts, anyone?
    what a great idea! I'll bet your new scent will be terrific. I'm not sure there is anyone I'd rather have create a scent for me than M. Durbrana. Enjoy

Welcome to the club, Diamondflame! Please let us know what you think of it when it arrives.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush