Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Insensé

How is Insensé compared to other floral scents marketed for men? The last review by a male member in the directory is from December 2008. Has it been done better elsewhere?

Default Re: Givenchy Insensé

I've never smelled Insensé. I've read generally very good things about it, but it seems to be a bit difficult to find (though AFAIK it is still in production).

I own and like the (discontinued but still available online) Ténéré, which, if memory serves, Vibert has compared to Insensé.

But I should let the Old Dog speak for himself!

Thanks, PhinClio. I've tried Ténéré and it's not to my liking. It feels too dark, pungent, and reminds my wife and I of clove cigarette butts.

Sur la Plage

I really like Insense. Another men's floral I like is Richard James (a/k/a Savile Row). http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122845.html
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th October 2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

What are its dominant notes esp. the floral ones?

In my opinion, Insense was by far one of the most discreet and inoffensive scents around in his days.

Great fragrance, hard to find, pity. A truly "men's floral" - no tuberose here! Rather zippy, and quite dry. I think it's a fougere, isn't it?

One of my faves on my husband... Bought him his bottle ten years ago and still going strong...

Notes, according to Osmoz:

#
    op notes

Cassis, Basil
    #
    heart note

Magnolia, Lentisk, Green notes
    #
    base note

Cedar, Fir Balsam

LT gave it 5 stars. I have tried it myself and found it nice and inoffensive, but did not find it gorgeous or jaw-dropping. I did get any complexity from it, it seems to be quite a linear fragrance. It also feel and smells 'old'.

IMHO the best floral around is Kenzo Power. But its a different floral from Insense. I would say Power is a more 'modern' floral than Insense.

Funny that this thread came up as I just bought Insense... Right now, I'm not sure what to make of it... Some of the reviews mention a green floral. I agree with this... Today I have Kenzo Power on my left arm and Insense on my right. The biggest difference to me would be that Insense is more of a true floral, while Power is more of a concept of a floral scent. Power also is significantly more powdery. I happen to like Kenzo Power a lot, while I'm still finding my way with Insense. I'm just going to wear it for the rest of the week and see what kind of impressions I get from it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think it's a fougere, isn't it?
    No. Insensé has some fougčre aspects but in structure it´s more of a chypre. A green, floral chypre with some woody undertones.
    Last edited by sables; 27th October 2009 at 04:57 PM.

What makes it interesting to me is the soapy aldehydic topnotes...not common in a men's-marketed scent. Otherwise, as Sables says, it's a green-chypre a la Givenchy III.

I got a bottle of Insense about two months ago, but I haven't worn it much because this is one I really feel is completely suited for Spring/Summer weather...I have had no desire to really wear it yet. It's a pretty high-pitched, sharp floral...I get mostly the lily, with some dry pine, and then something that smells like caraway seeds as it dries down. It's pretty light and airy on me, and rather transparent-feeling. I wouldn't say it's "classic" smelling, I think of this scent as being very "of it's time"...that is, of the 90's. It somehow reminds me of the general feeling of being a teenager in the 90's and walking around the mall and what that smelled like!
    I do like this one though, but I'll have to wear it a little more in the Spring before I completely pass judgement.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I would emphasize what Baldufita says about the basil note. This has a very dry green herbal facet to it, although it also has a side that I would describe as juicy. Good stuff; hated it at first.

I get the basil note a lot on hubs... Some tomato and we would have spaghetti (kidding)...

According to Osmoz, it's a Woody-Floral type, but I think it's more green than woody (at least until dry down)... Or maybe it's just me (or hubs chemistry)...

Teneré has nothing to do with Insense. This last one is clearly a floral scent, form the beginning to end, very potent in terms if sillage and longevity. Teneré's structure is eightish in terms of its very strong top notes fading into very discreet mid and base notes.

Even though I realize Insense`s quality and originality, I do not find it a comfortable scent. Still, every now and then I would try it on a blotter.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio
    I've never smelled Insensé. I've read generally very good things about it, but it seems to be a bit difficult to find (though AFAIK it is still in production).

I own and like the (discontinued but still available online) Ténéré, which, if memory serves, Vibert has compared to Insensé.

But I should let the Old Dog speak for himself!
    The old dog barks...and agrees with Pollux:

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Teneré has nothing to do with Insense....
    Ténéré and Insensé are both floral scents marketed to men, but beyond some bracingly bitter herbaceous notes that offset their floral sweetness, they have little stylistically in common. Ténéré is a warm, weighty, dark, spicy-balsamic floral composition, while Insensé is greener, brighter, and more crisp. Ténéré actually shares some temperamental and olfactory traits with Yatagan(!), while Insensé relates more closely to dry, green florals and chypres like Chanel No. 19 and Givenchy III.

I dont know if it had any reformulation, but by what I've tested, I would never say it's an inoffensive frag.
    For me, it's like a Fleur du Male from the 80's (even it's actually from 1993).
    It requires a certain personality to wear it. It's too much feminine for me.
    Anyway it's a nice scent and I apreciate it's originality.

I didn't like it. The florals were harsh and synthetic and it was drowned out by super dry woods.

For me Incense has a lot of development - from green-yellow galbanum-citrus start to some flowers (no idea) and then to balsamic woody sillage. That`s quite a lot for me.

The only modern smells like Incense is Bel Respiro Chanel Exclusifs - but Chanel has less sillage, more fleeting and even thin. Also by price they are incomparable.

It`s also great example to explore lentisk note - as some Nicolai masculine perfumes.

It`s surely Spring-cologne.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    ...Ténéré and Insensé are both floral scents marketed to men, but beyond some bracingly bitter herbaceous notes that offset their floral sweetness, they have little stylistically in common. Ténéré is a warm, weighty, dark, spicy-balsamic floral composition, while Insensé is greener, brighter, and more crisp. Ténéré actually shares some temperamental and olfactory traits with Yatagan(!), while Insensé relates more closely to dry, green florals and chypres like Chanel No. 19 and Givenchy III.
    Couldn't be put any better!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I just returned from buying it and tried a spritz. I agree that it's more of a green scent. Still thinking to wear this and Centaure Cuir Ambre that I also bought.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Oh, I really like Insensé! A friend of mine has a mini of it for years! It reminds me of Platinum Egoďste somehow...

Those who are interested in it can found some bottles at Ebay...

Basenotes Institution

I agree with sofresh, the main aspect that really sets Insense apart from other florals (masculine or feminine) is the soapy/aldehydic aspect of it. Sort of like White Linen or the other comparisons above that I concur with: Givenchy III, Bel Respiro, etc.

I remember someone (I think it was Ruggles) saying it smelled like the most expensive bar of soap, he'd ever smelled and that clicked when I heard it.

Ultimately, the lily was too much for me (that note is one of my most disliked notes) and combined with the aldehydes it was uncomfortable to wear and I sold my bottle.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th October 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Like Maddyrain, I have always smelled a similarity with Platinum Eogiste, especially in the dry down. Quite nice IMO.

I found a vintage bottle for sale, full size with the box, unsealed, for around 16 US dollars.

Is it a good deal? They also have vintage Jacomo de Jacomo, same price.

Which one should I get, first priority?
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

It's a very nice floral. Good deal for sure!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

As hednic was saying, get it right away. It must be said, for now insense doesn't sell for the inflated prices other discontinued frags sell for, but $16 is a big deal. Make sure it's the regular insense, not any of the flankers (which I would not buy even at $16).

cacio

Congrats on this great deal; a very nice spicy floral, indeed, enjoy!

Get it quick, it's a masterpiece.

Thanks, hednic, fragrance123, easyfish.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As hednic was saying, get it right away. It must be said, for now insense doesn't sell for the inflated prices other discontinued frags sell for, but $16 is a big deal. Make sure it's the regular insense, not any of the flankers (which I would not buy even at $16).

cacio
    It is the original, oval-ish bottle version. The same place where I bought my vintage Kouros 50 ml.
    Thanks, will go back there, soon.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE