Code of Conduct

Default Jovan Sex Appeal

I've heard people praising Jovan Sex Appeal on various forums, but I've always been put off by the naff name and the cheesy promotional stuff on the box, and I didn't try it. But maybe it was meant to be an amusing parody of the prevailing marketing of its day? I don't know.

Anyway, I saw it on sale at an airport duty free a couple of days ago and I had a try - and wow, it's great! It worked out at just £5.50 ($8.80) a bottle, and I bought it.

I get a background of the regular Jovan musk note, with amber, patchouli, and spices. Longevity isn't as good as some, but it's easily good enough for the price. In all, this is pretty amazing stuff, and it's leapt to the head of my "great cheapies" list - probably neck-and-neck with Worth Pour Homme, which is a really nice fougere you can get for £7 in the UK.

(Oh, and just as a contrast, I also tried Jovan Black Musk for men - it's horrible)

Any other Sex Appeal fans here?
    Alan

Default Re: Jovan Sex Appeal

I too enjoy Sex Appeal. It took me a while before I decided to buy it because I'm not a fan of Jovan fragrances' lack of longevity. I think Sex Appeal has better longevity than some other cheapies, but it still lacks in this area. It smells great though and I'm glad I finally broke down and shelled over the whopping $12 that it cost me for a bottle.

I have never found a tester for the edt. I smelled the aftershave and it was excellent, classical masculine, no big surprise, but very solid. But as an aftershave it didn't last long. If I find it at those prices, it's certainly a must buy.

cacio

The issue with this one is that there are similar ones that have clearly superior ingredient quality, but if you don't mind that or don't notice it then it's certainly serviceable. I've got plenty of KL Homme, for example, which seems to be the most similar, high-quality designer scent of that type.

Oscroft,
    You're right. You've found a gem of a cheapie. Musk, spices, patchouli, and amber...for this price you cannot go wrong.
    Too bad all the great Jovan scents are no longer available. They had such great variety in the 70s.
    Enjoy!

I can't help but wonder: does "vintage" Sex Appeal smell better? seriously
    Interesting aside: I saw Jovan Civet on ebay for $395!

Basenotes Plus

A strong +1!

Yes - the deep, rich patchouli merges wonderfully with spices (cloves, cinnamon, allspice), warm amber and a nice rich musk that is not quite clean! It smells like a bit of smoky headshop patchouli mixed with a spice cabinet spilled on the sweaty tight mid-drift of a dark-haired, very toned belly dancer with a pierced belly button. Her body is lean and tight with a natural sensual smell, but the aroma of smoky patchouli, spices and sex in the air is intoxicating...all that in a bottle by Jovan!

Cheers!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Oscroft,
    You're right. You've found a gem of a cheapie. Musk, spices, patchouli, and amber...for this price you cannot go wrong.
    Too bad all the great Jovan scents are no longer available. They had such great variety in the 70s.
    Enjoy!
    - - - Updated - - -

And, yes, Vintage Jovan Sex Appeal is superior to current juice...which is decent and wearable but more amber than spices. Less cloves and a bit cleaner musk. The Vintage juice goes on with a staining effect and a slap across the face - this is not for the timid. I actually prefer, after several wearings...a blended wearing with a nice base of current juice splashed on (I do not like spraying Jovan Sex Appeal as it goes on very strong, nearly a burned patchouli note that dies down in 20 minutes to be smooth and calm.) The splash is the way to go - plus the mojo is different, more macho and smooth. Then, just a small amount of Vintage goes a long way. I take the screw cap off all bottles of Jovan Musks and pour a measured amount into the cap (1/2 a cap-full of Vintage is plenty with about the same or a little more of current juice on first) and I put on two equal amount to my neck/beardline and the other half to my chest and let it radiate - same for both vintage & current. Wear it and have fun with it. I get compliments galore and it is a year-round scent. Great in the cold weather and very rich and macho in the balmy summer...but, then again, I'm not shy. ;-)

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    I can't help but wonder: does "vintage" Sex Appeal smell better? seriously
    Interesting aside: I saw Jovan Civet on ebay for $395!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Didn't really care for this one.

Another +1 from me. Ignore the name and packaging and it's a solid scent which, if applied under clothing, can be sprayed quite heavily improving the longevity no end. I have Lagerfeld KL Homme also and the similarity is striking - very similar smell, however, the KL Homme is smoother and denser. Imagine KL Homme as Jovan Sex Appeal Intense!!

Dependent

Undoubtedly a great value, but I found the soft powdery sweetness of the amber overwhelmed the more aromatic patchouli and spicy accords. Swapped it away a while back.

I wore it back when it didn't get me laid. Jovan musk did though...ok, it must have been my great personality. Polo worked with girls in Alligator shirts and topsiders. Aramis worked with pre-anosmic disco dillitantes.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    I've heard people praising Jovan Sex Appeal on various forums, but I've always been put off by the naff name and the cheesy promotional stuff on the box, and I didn't try it. But maybe it was meant to be an amusing parody of the prevailing marketing of its day? I don't know.

Anyway, I saw it on sale at an airport duty free a couple of days ago and I had a try - and wow, it's great! It worked out at just £5.50 ($8.80) a bottle, and I bought it.

I get a background of the regular Jovan musk note, with amber, patchouli, and spices. Longevity isn't as good as some, but it's easily good enough for the price. In all, this is pretty amazing stuff, and it's leapt to the head of my "great cheapies" list - probably neck-and-neck with Worth Pour Homme, which is a really nice fougere you can get for £7 in the UK.

(Oh, and just as a contrast, I also tried Jovan Black Musk for men - it's horrible)

Any other Sex Appeal fans here?
    Lol , I really like Black musk