Code of Conduct

Default Making Your Own Samples in Stores!

OK, I have been wanting to ask this for a bit. So you go into Sephora or Macys or Ulta and they have all their testers open for free spritzes. At Sephora they will make samples for you. Any of you sneaky types take your own sample bottles and fill up?I just got all of these great ones from Sally at accessoriesforfragrances and I would think that at places like Macys it would be simple since many SAs don't even follow you or care to help.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 24th September 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Making Your Own Samples in Stores!

I sometimes take small empty atomizers with me to Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, etc. If I ask for a sample of a fragrance, and the SA tells me they do not have any, I say "Well I happen to have an empty atomizerwith me. Would you mind putting some in in it for me".

Usually they look a little surprised, but then say "Sure, no problem". I have not had anyone reject my request. Granted, I do not do this all of the time - just for a particular fragrance I really want a sample of.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th September 2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yes, you need to ask. And if they won't do it, they might lose a customer.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The last time I went to Sephora (about a year ago), they had large sample atomizers that the girl helping me gladly filled. She ended up giving me 3 2ml sprayers by the time I left. However, I think I remember someone here saying they no longer do that.

... and yes, by all means ASK before you start filling. They'll most likely say sure (I did it at the Bond counter at Saks and filled a couple), but if you do it without asking it would probably ruffle some feathers.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The last time I went to Sephora (about a year ago), they had large sample atomizers that the girl helping me gladly filled. She ended up giving me 3 2ml sprayers by the time I left. However, I think I remember someone here saying they no longer do that.

... and yes, by all means ASK before you start filling. They'll most likely say sure (I did it at the Bond counter at Saks and filled a couple), but if you do it without asking it would probably ruffle some feathers.
    I should have pointed out that I didn't mean that I would be sneaking around with a trench filling up atomizers and looking over my shoulder..lol. I'd definitely ask.

Sephora will make 3 for me everytime I'm there...with their own stuff. But at Macys or Ulta I wonder if they would mind if I asked. The SA I deal with at Macys probably wouldn't mind.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

AromiErotici

That's something that never occurred to me to do, but I try sooooo many frags when I am sampling in stores that I have no inclination to bring any home. I usually like something from the get-go or I don't.

Not a bad idea however if the store is okay with it.

Thumbs up Re: Making Your Own Samples in Stores!

I don't have the courage to do it. What happened w/ you at Sephora happened to me at Nordstrom's.
    The sell atomizers. I got lucky. I had it filled w/ Hugh Parsons blue.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't, especially since at places like Macys they never give out samples. (I hate that)

I always ask for samples and almost always the SA's in the not-s-o-big-named department stores around here are surprised I every ask for them. Surprised as in "Holy crap HELL YES you can have samples *dumps a bin of samples into a bag*"

I never thought of asking them if I could get a few squirts into an empty atomizer. I'll try it a few times but I don't want to overstay my welcomes at the fragrance counters.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I always ask for samples and almost always the SA's in the not-s-o-big-named department stores around here are surprised I every ask for them. Surprised as in "Holy crap HELL YES you can have samples *dumps a bin of samples into a bag*"

I never thought of asking them if I could get a few squirts into an empty atomizer. I'll try it a few times but I don't want to overstay my welcomes at the fragrance counters.
    Sephora has always been great with making 3, even if I don't buy. I have gotten to know the Macys SA and she will give me what they have..not much and the new ones they just got in. Ulta..at least the one over by work...they don't even realize or care I'm there..which is good in a way because I'm laying out 20 tester cards and trying it all. I just thought if I want more than a squirt....had anyone tried it.
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I sometimes take small empty atomizers with me to Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, etc. If I ask for a sample of a fragrance, and the SA tells me they do not have any, I say "Well I happen to have an empty atomizerwith me. Would you mind putting some in in it for me".

Usually they look a little surprised, but then say "Sure, no problem". I have not had anyone reject my request. Granted, I do not do this all of the time - just for a particular fragrance I really want a sample of.
    Ditto
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Oh I forgot... I've also had a Nordstrom SA make a few samples for me herself and conveniently tuck her card into each
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    OK, I have been wanting to ask this for a bit. So you go into Sephora or Macys or Ulta and they have all their testers open for free spritzes. At Sephora they will make samples for you. Any of you sneaky types take your own sample bottles and fill up?I just got all of these great ones from Sally at accessoriesforfragrances and I would think that at places like Macys it would be simple since many SAs don't even follow you or care to help.
    Really?! I usually can't take get them off my back... I guess I have that "I am gonna steal this tester" face...

Or they remember me from last time I did steal it
    But there is no point on taking atomizer with me... My local macys does not have anything i like and I do not own or have stolen before
    Last edited by irish; 24th September 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Agree that sephora will always give me free samples, nice big ones too. Last time at Macys the SA only came around when I accidently clinked some testers together on counter after being there like 5 minutes. Looked shocked when I asked for a sample of Egoiste platinum, like they don't exist. Bergners SA was nowhere to be found, I could have taken every tester, but didnt. Just bought some of the refillable atomizers off ebay that you fill off the bottle, butane style. I figure next time at Bergners I am at least getting some samples, if not customer service.
    Last edited by scentnoobie; 23rd January 2013 at 01:57 AM.

It really depends on the establishment and the pleasantness of the sales associate.

I asked for a sample of Tom ford Noir at Sephora (India) and they filled my 5ml atomizer without any hitch!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Nordstroms here has buckets of empty atomizers everywhere and you can make samples of as many frags as you want. Trouble is then you have to remember what they are unless you bring a sharpie.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Oh I forgot... I've also had a Nordstrom SA make a few samples for me herself and conveniently tuck her card into each
    The SA's at the Guerlain counter in Neiman Marcus are super friendly, not to mention pretty and fit, they give nice sized samples with a little paper pouch with their card enclosed. The Creed and Tom Ford counters, not so much. If I need help in those areas I always ask one of the Guerlain girls for assistance.