Code of Conduct

Default WOW I miss Calvin (original)

Criminal. How can they discontinue this yet produce the most uninspired, least meorable fragrances on the market?

What is the closest substitute?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like Quorum Silver has the same note lineup. I have never tried it. How do they compare?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please comment on QS as it compares to Calvin?

I don't want to start another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please comment on QS as it compares to Calvin?

I don't want to start another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I can find it there, but it's the reformulation. I DO like that more than most anything out today, but even that is overpriced and fairly rare.

- - - Updated - - -

I can find it there, but it's the reformulation. I DO like that more than most anything out today, but even that is overpriced and fairly rare.

Default Re: WOW I miss Calvin (original)

ive never smelled either, but have you looked on ebay? i was after the original perry ellis for years and found it there. it doesnt smell as good as i remember... it smells the same aas i remember, i just gave it more credit than it deserved. all vanilla and light leather. i hope calvin is as good as you remember it when you find it.

Demon, I really don't feel Quorum Silver and Calvin smell similar ( despite the note pyramid). If you like Calvin and don't want to pay the money for a pricey bottle, there are substitutes. You just have to look around. Just look for aromatic fougeres like Azzaro pour Homme, English Fern, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Jacomo Anthractie pour l'homme.....etc. They won't smell exactly like Calvin, but they still smell good and you may like them.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I remember when everybody seemed to be wearing this. Was in the minority I guess as I never cared for it.

Demon ..
    I have both Calvin & Quorum Silver .
    They are not alike & not even close .
    I find Calvin is sweeter & musky .
    Quorum Silver does remind me closely of a few other ones , but they do not come to mind write at this present moment . I remember a few threads on this QS topic & should be easy to find with a search .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Plus

I fully support with what Dimitrios says here.

Calvin Klein Calvin (1981) is a Woody Floral Musk that has a classic vibe...not a powerhouse. Cut and pasted directly from my review on Fragrantica: "...this is a brilliant, masculine and warm Woody Floral Musk/Chypre composition that incorporates gorgeous florals (including the key note of chamomile) and herbs combined with brilliant use of green and damp patchouli and vetiver (just slightly dirty). There is no composition like it. It uses musk (mostly clean) to radiate the aroma. What is amazing is just how long (and strong) the integrated florals and herbs emanate from this scent! It has a slightly soapy vibe - not a bar of French-milled soap, but the actual lather it creates. A gorgeous, "sudsy" feel that makes one wonder just how this was done. The sandalwood is creamy giving a base with the vetiver and musk that oozes class and a very suave feeling. As comforting as it is, Calvin is also a very serious scent that could be worn by a CEO."

My review is for the Original Calvin Klein Calvin Cologne Spray (Vintage). It is highly-sought after and the first male release by the house in 1981.

Quorum Silver is a decent cedar dominant scent - a Woody Spicy with very little to no relevancy. You can buy it anywhere for under $15 for 100ml, while a bottle of Vintage Calvin is 10 times that much or more...!

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Demon ..
    I have both Calvin & Quorum Silver .
    They are not alike & not even close .
    I find Calvin is sweeter & musky .
    Quorum Silver does remind me closely of a few other ones , but they do not come to mind write at this present moment . I remember a few threads on this QS topic & should be easy to find with a search .
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Thanks, all. I am sulking, but appreciate the feedback.

Maybe I can make my own???