Code of Conduct

Default Cotton/Wool note

Is anyone aware of how a cotton or wool note could be achieved? I mean that feeling you have while breathing close to an old rough cloth. Especially the ones coming from countries like mexico or south america. I think they have a distinctive smell.
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Default Re: Cotton/Wool note

Anyone has a hint?

Probably do to with the way the cloth was washed, and in what. Your description leaves much to be desired, which is probably why no-one has replied.

Your style is always recogniseable david
    This kind of scent is actually hard to define, I just hoped that someone had noticed it somewhen before in his life and that maybe could help me identifying some aromachem which gets close to it.
    I would say it might be somewhat a mix between a dusty and a faint animalic smell.

Well, have you tried some rutting male goat beard hair tincture for the animalic note? Seems like it's a cousin to a sheep...
    It's a little hard to obtain, but there ought to be a lot of goats in Italy..., and Spring is coming... network around the countryside for a willing Goatherder who'll let you/help you keep a wild bucking goat captive long enough to clip his smelly beard for it's odor molecules to tincture...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Or if you don't want to battle with rutting goats, there's usually loads of wool left on wire fences where the sheep roam.

Or maybe lanolin is what you're after?

I should point out that I have no idea what au natural lanolin smells like, but I bet it's involved somewhere along the line.

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 2nd February 2013 at 06:33 PM.

Hi Skelly, The left over wool would have the lanolin type of oily odor, but the rutting goat beard is the site and timing that provides the "Civet" if you will of the goat...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Salve Otocione, tutto bene?
    I have a small notebook full of stuff like this! When I come across accords that resemble funny yet familiar things, I take note.
    For the smell you are talking about, according to my notebook, you'll need benzoin, iso e super, phenyl ethyl alcohol, citronellol, nerol, geraniol, frankincence and (this is important) vetiveryl acetate.
    I am not going to give you the exact recipe. Experiment and let me know.
    Distinti saluti, ION
    "I have the sun in my pocket"
    http://www.ionportraits.gr
    http://www.facebook.com/ion.portraits

Wotcher PK. S'cuse me if I sound a bit sceptical here, but are you absolutely sure about the goat beard thing? I mean, I know very little about perfumery, but this sounds like you're straying into wind up territory...

Old Master: 'Right, my young apprentice; your next task is to collect fourteen pounds of rutting goat beard. And after you've done that we'll move onto the hibernating bear testicles...'

Either way; could you recommend a decent and easily available alternative to civet? The real thing is out of the question 'cos my imaginary cat gives me dirty looks whenever I mention it.

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 2nd February 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Wotcher PK. S'cuse me if I sound a bit sceptical here, but are you absolutely sure about the goat beard thing? I mean, I know very little about perfumery, but this sounds like you're straying into wind up territory...

Old Master: 'Right, my young apprentice; your next task is to collect fourteen pounds of rutting goat beard. And after you've done that we'll move onto the hibernating bear testicles...'

Either way; could you recommend a decent and easily available alternative to civet? The real thing is out of the question 'cos my imaginary cat gives me dirty looks whenever I mention it.

-
    I have goats and the stinkiest part is on the top of the head between the horns. Here is what Anya McCoy says:http://anyasgarden.blogspot.com/2008...k-that-is.html
    Randall

Oh Yes, Right, The hair on top instead, my mistake...

Reading on,,, Oh the beards and Labdanum,... got my elements mixed up, didn't I?

Oh, and it's not really civet, but musky, I was just drawing a parallel...
    As for a subst., have you tried the Civet CNC from Perf Appr?
    I also have the Robertet Civet analogue, if you want some, PM me.

But yes, this rutting goat hair on top between the horns has the air of "WHAT>>>?"
    But I have some here in my hand, nonetheless... Hair raw untinctured, and tinctured solution both. It's definitely one of those dirty little secrets of Perfumery...
    Last edited by pkiler; 3rd February 2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

The beards do play a role in scent dissemination. They urinate on them to attract the females. I read somewhere that the urine contains pheromones, and I used some of the beard in my tincture just in case.
    Randall

Thanks Racuda for verifying that the Old Master isn't old and Batty...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Ahah thanks to everybody! Actually I was looking for something more "commercially" available rather than goat hair tinctures, but I really appreciate your hints, they are very inspiring and they made me curious to know how goat's hair smells like
    @ ION grazie! that's precious, I'm gonna make some experiment and I'll let you know if it works for me! google translate suggests me to write you something like ευχαριστώ

Another option for an animalic note is Hyraceum, sometimes called Africa Stone: no animal cruelty involved and the smell is rather like a cross between civet and castoreum. This might contribute to your 'dirty wool' and is a bit easier to source than goat tincture.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Costus or it's replacer smells a bit like wet wool. Not sure if it is anything like what you're describing though. Might be worth a try.

For a cotton / wool note I'd suggest you experiment with some musks (Velvione or muscone) with a touch of patchouli and costus/costausol or helional?