Code of Conduct

Default Please recommend a new house

Ladies (and lurking gents)

Based on my wardrobe and wish list, could you recommend a perfume from a house I currently have NOT purchased from?

My tried list has scents that I've tried but didn't like.

I would love to explore houses like Bond No 9, Caron, Patou, Ormonde Jayne etc but I don't know where to start.

Many thanks in advance!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Please recommend a new house

Ormonde Jayne is a very good house, they sell a discovery set which includes most of their scents. You get 12 2ml. samples for $75.00. You could also go to The Perfumed Court or other decant seller and buy just the ones you'ld like to try. All 12 sold in the discovery set are nice. My favorites are Frangipani Absolute and Ta'if.

Ineke also has a set which is nice. Your receive 8 samples for $25 and you can get a refund if you buy a large bottle later, it's only available on their website. Several are really nice my favorite is After My Own Heart, a pretty lilac scent.

I've bought both of these sets and highly recommend them. I have no affiliation with any of these companies.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 22nd January 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Scentsucker, it would be really helpful if you complete the star ratings in your wardrobe, so that we can see which perfumes you liked or didn't like. Also, you have some on your wishlist that you haven't tried, which is confusing when trying to think of recommendations for you.

l will take a wild stab in the dark, & suggest you try some Montales, possibly Sweet Oriental Dream & Blue Amber.
    Also some from Andy Tauer, perhaps lncense Extreme, Le Maroc or Carillon pour un Ange.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Since you live in the UK, Ormonde Jayne seems a natural brand to try next time you're in London. The most famous is perhaps Ormonde Woman (green woody); my favorite is Tiare (green chypre) followed by Tolu (oriental).

Caron has reformulated its masterpieces so it's hard to recommend anything; plus, their parfum concentration is usually better than the lower concentrations, but it's difficult to test the parfum unless you go to the store (Harrods? don't know where they're sold in London). Patou is synonimous with Joy, also reformulated. Rather, I'd look at Piguet, especially the leather Bandit (or the equally famous tuberose Fracas).

I like a lot Etat Libre d'Orange too. Let's say Tom of Finland (saffron suede), Rien (animalic leather), and Jasmine et cigarette (as per name).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Scentsucker, it would be really helpful if you complete the star ratings in your wardrobe, so that we can see which perfumes you liked or didn't like. Also, you have some on your wishlist that you haven't tried, which is confusing when trying to think of recommendations for you.

l will take a wild stab in the dark, & suggest you try some Montales, possibly Sweet Oriental Dream & Blue Amber.
    Also some from Andy Tauer, perhaps lncense Extreme, Le Maroc or Carillon pour un Ange.
    Oh I AM sorry teardrop, I should have been more clear!

I've sampled everything on my wish list, and I will be purchasing them in future.

Also, everything listed under "collection" in my wardrobe, I own FBs and already love ie 4-5 stars.

I contacted Montale a few weeks ago to ask if they had a discovery set, and never got a reply. But perhaps I will still try to get samples from somewhere. I don't like to blind buy. Thank you for your suggestions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Since you live in the UK, Ormonde Jayne seems a natural brand to try next time you're in London. The most famous is perhaps Ormonde Woman (green woody); my favorite is Tiare (green chypre) followed by Tolu (oriental).

Caron has reformulated its masterpieces so it's hard to recommend anything; plus, their parfum concentration is usually better than the lower concentrations, but it's difficult to test the parfum unless you go to the store (Harrods? don't know where they're sold in London). Patou is synonimous with Joy, also reformulated. Rather, I'd look at Piguet, especially the leather Bandit (or the equally famous tuberose Fracas).

I like a lot Etat Libre d'Orange too. Let's say Tom of Finland (saffron suede), Rien (animalic leather), and Jasmine et cigarette (as per name).

cacio
    Thanks for your suggestions cacio! I already have Fracas, I'm going to buy Visa as well. I didn't get on with Bandit. I'm sorry to hear that you dont recommend Patou or Caron any more since reformulation, I was hoping they still had something worthwhile

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Ormonde Jayne is a very good house, they sell a discovery set which includes most of their scents. You get 12 2ml. samples for $75.00. You could also go to The Perfumed Court or other decant seller and buy just the ones you'ld like to try. All 12 sold in the discovery set are nice. My favorites are Frangipani Absolute and Ta'if.

Ineke also has a set which is nice. Your receive 8 samples for $25 and you can get a refund if you buy a large bottle later, it's only available on their website. Several are really nice my favorite is After My Own Heart, a pretty lilac scent.

I've bought both of these sets and highly recommend them. I have no affiliation with any of these companies.
    Thank you Kiliwia, I didn't know about the Ineke set, I'm going to order that for sure.

Two recommendations for Ormonde Jayne: that means I'm off to the store to sniff for sure, it's not too far from me. I'll pay special attention to your favourites when I'm there.

Thank you again!

I have not smelled the reformulated Joy, so I cannot comment on it. Reportedly it is now an excellent rose, not a rose-jasmine combo. So it's still worth trying, especially if you like roses, just don't assume it's the same object people used to rave about.

Our BNer Larimar can probably tell you something more about Caron - but yes, to me most of them have lost their depth and interest, especially in the drydown. It's as if they'd been cleaned and sanitized. Some of the parfum concentrations still have an arresting opening, but then they fall apart and become less interesting.

cacio

Blog Entries

Les Senteurs in London stock Andy Tauer's fragrances, & l believe either Harrods or Libertys have Montale. l ordered my samples from Luckyscent.com.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well, Scentsucker, a trip to London to sniff the Caron Fountain Perfumes (the ones that get decanted from the Baccarat fountains) chez Roja Dove would be nice. I think these are far superior to the general line-up IMO.
    Tabac Blond is something I would always prefer in today's form (it's been the same in the past twenty-odd years) as the original was loaded with animalics and rather impossible for today's standards.
    En Avion has always been clearly recognizable as En Avion. It's a fantastic extrait, so rich, glorious and very longlasting. It was in particular the base that smelled so much like today's when I sampled a 1930s version. The base of N Avion was never much animalic at all.
    These two are the definite stars IMO. Acaciosa, Pois de Senteur, Or et Noir, N'aimez que moi and Poivre et al are all well worth a try. Do read the reviews here - Baykat and Sugandaraja are very, very experienced (Caron) sniffers. Poivre was an entirely different fragrance originally and the very recent smells sweeter than I remembered from years ago. I'd recomend the EdT version Coup de Fouet (it's not discontinued, only very limited distribution from Caron themselves) instead. Acaciosa smells the same to me compared to an ~30 years old version.
    Have fun sampling and please do report back your findings!

Get the Ormonde Jayne discovery set! It's in a beautiful box that is super fun to open - you'll know what I mean once you get to try it. If you're in London, visit the boutique or Harrods. The set has everything but the new Four Corners of the Earth releases. My personal favourites are Ormonde Woman, Ormonde Man and Tolu.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Overcome By Fumes

Givenchy Ysatis

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Well, Scentsucker, a trip to London to sniff the Caron Fountain Perfumes (the ones that get decanted from the Baccarat fountains) chez Roja Dove would be nice. I think these are far superior to the general line-up IMO.
    Tabac Blond is something I would always prefer in today's form (it's been the same in the past twenty-odd years) as the original was loaded with animalics and rather impossible for today's standards.
    En Avion has always been clearly recognizable as En Avion. It's a fantastic extrait, so rich, glorious and very longlasting. It was in particular the base that smelled so much like today's when I sampled a 1930s version. The base of N Avion was never much animalic at all.
    These two are the definite stars IMO. Acaciosa, Pois de Senteur, Or et Noir, N'aimez que moi and Poivre et al are all well worth a try. Do read the reviews here - Baykat and Sugandaraja are very, very experienced (Caron) sniffers. Poivre was an entirely different fragrance originally and the very recent smells sweeter than I remembered from years ago. I'd recomend the EdT version Coup de Fouet (it's not discontinued, only very limited distribution from Caron themselves) instead. Acaciosa smells
    the same to me compared to an ~30 years old version.
    Have fun sampling and please do report back your findings!
    Thanks very much for such great help Larimar! I've been to the Harrods Haute Perfumerie before, but the big fountains intimidated me LOL. I think I'll try again, I live fairly close.

There are a few new niche houses worthy of attention...
    I have several perfumer friends who make great scents, but the fun is in seeking them out, I suppose, isn't it...

Saying anything more would be self serving I suppose. So I put myself on Mute.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I've recently been finding some beautiful scents among two new to me houses - Atelier and the Different Company.

Loving Atelier's Rose Anonyme and Vetiver Fatal and the Different Company's Rose Poivre

Also highly recommend exploring Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or line.

I've recently been finding some beautiful scents among two new to me houses - Atelier and the Different Company.

Loving Atelier's Rose Anonyme and Vetiver Fatal and the Different Company's Rose Poivre

Also highly recommend exploring Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or line.

I also nominate O.J.. Tolu, Orris Noir, Ta'if, and Ormonde Jayne Woman are all beautiful. You may want to look into 1000 Flowers. I quite like Reglisse Noir.

Personally not keen on Ormonde Jayne (overrated skin scents imo)and most of Caron's have been reformulated and stripped of what character they had now. Take a trip to Liberty and ask to sample the range from Odin (New York) or Agonist's range (Sweden). I guarantee 2 or 3 you will love.

Thanks kaern, I'm intrigued about these two: not even heard of them before!