Code of Conduct

Default Day time cologne for summer / fall / spring

I am looking for signature / day time cologne for for summer / fall / spring use. Most important criteria - longevity. I am not talking about 12 hours, but at least 5-6. Now I am wearing boss bottled which lasts 1 hours on me, so I am reapplying it every hour, which is ridiculous.

Price range would be I guess around 50$. If you guys tell me several good scents, I will go to shop and try them out then My current arsenal is boss bottled and YSL la nuit.

Thanks.

Default Re: Day time cologne for summer / fall / spring

Carolina Herrera 212 Men is a complete sleeper on BN, but is an awesome fresh daytime cologne, and such a big female compliment-getter (complete with a couple neck-nuzzling moments in the past few weeks alone) that I've taken to wearing it on dates also.

Bleu de Chanel would normally be my top recommendation, but I think 212 Men has surpassed it, for me.

Both of those last 5-6 hours for me, no problem.

I haven't checked out the longevity yet, but just tried Hanae Mori HiM (note that's HiM, not HM, although both are good) and it is awesome, too.

These are some low-cost scents that last pretty long and smell great IMO:

Nautica Voyage
    Encre Noire Sport
    Chopard Noble Vetiver
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    Carolina Herrera 212 Men is a complete sleeper on BN, but is an awesome fresh daytime cologne, and such a big female compliment-getter (complete with a couple neck-nuzzling moments in the past few weeks alone) that I've taken to wearing it on dates also.

Bleu de Chanel would normally be my top recommendation, but I think 212 Men has surpassed it, for me.

Both of those last 5-6 hours for me, no problem.

I haven't checked out the longevity yet, but just tried Hanae Mori HiM (note that's HiM, not HM, although both are good) and it is awesome, too.
    Do you mean 212 Vip Men right? Ok I will check that one out Bleu de channel is too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Nautica Voyage
    Encre Noire Sport
    Chopard Noble Vetiver
    Hmm, none of them are available in my local perfume shop to try :/ So I guess I would prefer something more known.

Quote Originally Posted by estranged View Post
    Do you mean 212 Vip Men right? Ok I will check that one out .
    I can't tell if the smiley means you're joking! 212 VIP Men is the nighttime, pimp-daddy flanker. You could wear it during the daytime, but it might not send the message you're hoping You're looking for 212 Men, which is clean and fresh, I am not recommending any of the zillion flankers or flankers of flankers.

I can't tell if the smiley means you're joking! 212 VIP Men is the nighttime, pimp-daddy flanker. You could wear it during the daytime, but it might not send the message you're hoping You're looking for 212 Men, which is clean and fresh, I am not recommending any of the zillion flankers or flankers of flankers.
    No I wasn't joking, ok now I understand. So that one has a decent price, gonna check it out

Encre Noire
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Encre Noire
    Way too expensive for me..

Can you guys suggest something on the cheaper side?

Blog Entries

You can have these two for less than $50 on Amazon.com:

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig
    H.M. by Hanae Mori

Perhaps also:

YSL pour Homme EDT
    Boucheron pour Homme EDP
    on the more modern side: CK One Shock

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Encre Noire

Encre Noire can typically be found for under $40. Amazon currently has it for $30.

Hmmm, I thought we were of the opinion that Amazon is not a safe place to buy perfume from. Did I get the wrong impression?

I've added Encre Noir to my sample list! I will say, reading the reviews, that even the people who love it seem to think it's not exactly safe, so sampling first for sure.

Dior Homme
    GPH II

Armani code and code sport are pretty good......Fairly reasonably priced and will get you the compliments....I like the original Armani Code the best...

All of the L'occitane fragrances are fairly cheap and again accessible in MOST malls or online....Eau des Baux is my favorite...Great, daytime scent you can wear just about anytime and its simply one of my favorites...top ten, for sure....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Bulgari Pour Homme Soir

"L'eau D'issey" by issey Miyake and "The one" by D&G(well received by my skin chemistry 8-12 hrs) also "LeMale"1995 by JPG
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Aventus

Basenotes Plus

I bought my bottle of Encre Noire for around $30. EN is possibly the best bang for your buck out of any fragrance period. Having said that, you should be able to score a bottle of Terre d'Hermes for around $50. That is one of my favorites for any time of the year, any time of the day. Outside of those two, HM by Hanae Mori and HiM by Hanae Mori are both well priced, though HM is seriously dirt cheap. L'Occitane has a handful of well priced fragrances. Versace the Dreamer has been showing up around Ross, Marshalls and TJ Maxx for a great price. CK One Shock is shockingly inexpensive and good. You can even get a 30ml bottle and 30ml worth of Aventus samples (I've seen people do it!) for around $35 or so on eBay. You can also do that with Green Irish Tweed, or you can really save some money and just pick up some Cool Water.

Kenneth Cole Black

Not a beast, but lasts 6 hours, and excellent scent, very low price.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Blog Entries

Lalique White
    Or Bvlgari Aqva

These are some colognes that I like for daytime:

Hermes Concentree d' Orange Verte - lasts pretty good for this kind of fragrance - my favorite orange cologne.
    Andy Tauer Cologne du Maghreb - go heavy with this and you will get 4-5 hours from it. Nice mix of tartness and dirty spices.
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale - I know, it doesn't last long, but it sure is refreshing and worth reapplying.
    Thirdman Moderne - pretty good, subtle, but nice contemporary cologne.
    A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue - very chemically prominent, but refreshing.
    Byredo Mister Marvelous - kind of quirky, but if you like it, it is very unique.

Dependent

Live Jazz would fit your criteria. I can't remember if it was under or over $50 but if it was over, it was a hair over
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

Hmmm, I thought we were of the opinion that Amazon is not a safe place to buy perfume from. Did I get the wrong impression?

I've added Encre Noir to my sample list! I will say, reading the reviews, that even the people who love it seem to think it's not exactly safe, so sampling first for sure.
    You may be of that opinion, but I've never had a problem ordering fragrances from Amazon. I just like to make sure that the seller I'm buying from is actually Amazon.com and not a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    These are some colognes that I like for daytime:

Hermes Concentree d' Orange Verte - lasts pretty good for this kind of fragrance - my favorite orange cologne.
    Andy Tauer Cologne du Maghreb - go heavy with this and you will get 4-5 hours from it. Nice mix of tartness and dirty spices.
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale - I know, it doesn't last long, but it sure is refreshing and worth reapplying.
    Thirdman Moderne - pretty good, subtle, but nice contemporary cologne.
    A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue - very chemically prominent, but refreshing.
    Byredo Mister Marvelous - kind of quirky, but if you like it, it is very unique.
    None of these fit the OP's price limit of $50.

Cerruti pour Homme might work for you. I think it's a very nice daytime office scent, and it lasts all day for me. Read the reviews here on it. It looks like it can be had for ~$25 now.

Thanks guys gonna try them out if i find in local shop

Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    I bought my bottle of Encre Noire for around $30. EN is possibly the best bang for your buck out of any fragrance period. Having said that, you should be able to score a bottle of Terre d'Hermes for around $50. That is one of my favorites for any time of the year, any time of the day. Outside of those two, HM by Hanae Mori and HiM by Hanae Mori are both well priced, though HM is seriously dirt cheap. L'Occitane has a handful of well priced fragrances. Versace the Dreamer has been showing up around Ross, Marshalls and TJ Maxx for a great price. CK One Shock is shockingly inexpensive and good. You can even get a 30ml bottle and 30ml worth of Aventus samples (I've seen people do it!) for around $35 or so on eBay. You can also do that with Green Irish Tweed, or you can really save some money and just pick up some Cool Water.
    I am from Netherlands, prices are completely different here. But I double checked, and this cologne is indeed not that expensive, probably misread something. Anyways, is Encre Noire good for a student for a day to day wear? After some research I found it's often used to night time or some 'important' events, not so casual.

Also, what about Bulgari Black?
    Last edited by estranged; 14th July 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Anyways, is Encre Noire good for a student for a day to day wear?
    IMO, definitely not. Regardless of the fact that I openly display my great disdain for this fragrance, I'll be objective enough to say it could have it's place in formal settings; black tie events, business functions if used sparingly, day to day for a student would be totally out of place IMO.

Versace Pour Homme
    Armani Code Sport
    Kenneth Cole Mankind
    Issey Miyake Sport
    ADG

Would be the type of fragrances I would recommend for that scenario, and there are dozens of others that would work as well, it's going to come down to your personal preferences.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks guys gonna try them out if i find in local shop

I am from Netherlands, prices are completely different here. But I double checked, and this cologne is indeed not that expensive, probably misread something. Anyways, is Encre Noire good for a student for a day to day wear? After some research I found it's often used to night time or some 'important' events, not so casual.

Also, what about Bulgari Black?
    If you're already worried about making a clear distinction between day and night fragrances, then Encre Noire probably wouldn't work well for what you're looking for. Personally, I don't think Bvlgari Black would either.

Have you looked at anything like Perry Ellis 360 Red? It has a sporty, aquatic daytime feel (it's more-or-less a copy of Acqua di Gio) with a cinnamon note for a bit of added spice and versatility. In the past I remember getting impressive longevity for what it was and at around $20 in the US for 100ml it is as inexpensive as they come.

Lots of very good recommendations so far. HM,KC Black and Versace PH are great for what your looking for in price, longevity and multi season versatility. Also for a uber cheapie, I'll throw out Cuba Gold...great scent,(around $10 for a 100ML)very much like LeMale only longer lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Aventus
    Haha, he said around 50 dollars!

Dude, this might be the dark horse you're looking for. Try AB Spirit Silver by Lomani. I bought a bottle for 23 dollar from FragranceX last week (and worn it several times) and it's legit! I get 6-7 hours from 3 sprays to the chest. It starts out a little pineapple sweet and dries down to sweet-ish, smokey, woody goodness. It's pretty manly and people-pleasing and it smells very similar to... _______________. (I won't fill in the blank, haha).

The bottle and tin it comes in are both corny and whack (IMHO). They could have spent the money for packaging on a nice, simple bottle. Nevertheless!

It would also be a blind buy, which can be kinda scary. I like it a lot though because it's an awesome balance of sweet, smoky/woody, and manly.

For more info search the forum. There's a whole thread dedicated to AB Spirit Silver and its similarity to... ______________.

Best of luck!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...

I went to store, tried Versace eau fraiche (don't bad, i kind of like it), cool water (not really a fan of), then Dior sport (also not really impressed) and Versace eros, which was quite good. Unfortunately they didn't have Versace pour homme, which has very good reviews.

Do you guys think it's a good blind buy - Versace pour homme? Especially cause some time ago i tried channel allure homme sport and really liked it, but it's very expensive, and I heard this one is quite similar.
    Last edited by estranged; 15th July 2014 at 07:09 PM.

Almost all Xerjoff's offer excellent longevity!

I would recommend Nio, Kobe, Uden, Modoc , all above average longevity

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Aventus
    ah hahahahahaha

I was thinking Fresco.
    My top ten, in no particular order:
    Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb
    Hanae Mori HiM
    Polo
    Halston Man Amber
    Mugler Pure Havane
    24 Gold
    L'eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme
    Kenzo Jungle Homme
    Terre D'Hermes

Thanks guys...

I went to store, tried Versace eau fraiche (don't bad, i kind of like it), cool water (not really a fan of), then Dior sport (also not really impressed) and Versace eros, which was quite good. Unfortunately they didn't have Versace pour homme, which has very good reviews.

Do you guys think it's a good blind buy - Versace pour homme? Especially cause some time ago i tried channel allure homme sport and really liked it, but it's very expensive, and I heard this one is quite similar.
    IMO Versace PH is a good and safe blind buy. I own it and AHS and don't get the comparisons at all.....AHS is creamy tonka/aldehydes and too heavy in hot weather for me, Versace PH is sharp/vibrant/slightly soapy and works good in the heat. Both are tops in compliments though, which is about the only thing I see they have in common

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    IMO Versace PH is a good and safe blind buy. I own it and AHS and don't get the comparisons at all.....AHS is creamy tonka/aldehydes and too heavy in hot weather for me, Versace PH is sharp/vibrant/slightly soapy and works good in the heat. Both are tops in compliments though, which is about the only thing I see they have in common
    I see.. Some time ago i went to store and tried many different colognes, but allure homme sport was my favourite, but due to its price i can't really afford it. Versace PH is much cheaper on the other hands

Summer: anything by Edmond Roudnitska
    Fall: Anything by Vincent Marcello
    Spring: anything by Pierre Bourdon

I second 212 men! Can't recommend it enough.

Ok, then going to try today 212 for men, and I think L'Eau d'Issey.

Opium Pour Homme EDT.

Basenotes Plus

Ok, then going to try today 212 for men, and I think L'Eau d'Issey.
    I would also check out L'Eau D'Issey Sport.

Nautica Voyage is a great cheap one. It's on Amazon for something like $16.

Cool water gets no love around here, but it's a solid cheap summer time cologne.

if you want to smell pleasing to everyone and women complimenting you like crazy + has a great price point...there is 1 answer for me

Versace Pour Homme

Tried L'Eau D'Issey, wasn't impressed, feels little bit too feminine for me. Also tried allure homme sport, which is really nice.

w1x, I am thinking about that one as a blind buy.

Ordered Versace pour homme as a blind buy. Will update tomorrow.. Hopefully longevity won't be very bad.. But either way, it's 100ml bottle, will last long

I don't generally recommend blind buys, but I think for your intended use you'll really enjoy Versace PH. Please be sure to give us your feedback after you receive your new fragrance!

good choice dude! VPH is better than AHS imo and a better compliment getter in my world. have fun! the drydown is some really GOOD stuff!

Estranged, Have you tried 212? Just curious about your opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Estranged, Have you tried 212? Just curious about your opinion on it.
    Unfortunately not, they didn't have it in the store.

Alright then

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Nautica Voyage
    Encre Noire Sport
    Chopard Noble Vetiver
    +1 Encre Noire Sport. This is a surprisingly good flanker that I enjoy more and more every time I wear it. I dare say I'm beginning to like it more than the original Encre Noire.

Bleu de chanel will last forever, so I second that vote. But why not l'homme, it's simialer to boss bottled, but maybe will last longer on your skin, it did for me. Also maybe check out Kenneth Cole mankind, and Mont Blanc legend. Both are in your price range and should do the job well.

Received my Versace PH, and really like the smell. But regarding longevity, I don't know how you guys evaluate that but I can't smell it after ~1.5 hours on me or so, just like all my other colognes. I don't know if it's just I can't smell, or my skin is so 'anti-cologny'.

Ask others around you if they can smell it. My wife made me shower mid-day because she said I smelled like a homeless man. I didn't notice a thing, I had been outside working all morning and worked up a sweat but figured I smelled like fresh sawdust and Tung Oil. Go figure.

Received my Versace PH, and really like the smell. But regarding longevity, I don't know how you guys evaluate that but I can't smell it after ~1.5 hours on me or so, just like all my other colognes. I don't know if it's just I can't smell, or my skin is so 'anti-cologny'.
    Some people's skin does eat up fragrance, and although Versace PH is not great on longevity, you should get a decent 4-6 hours, which I think is pretty typical of most modern day fresh scents. The sprayer on Versace PH doesn't put out a lot of juice, either, so I usually go a bit heavy on this one compared to normal. Also, if you spray twice in the same spot you normally do I think you'll experience better longevity. Enjoy!

ive got compliments on VPH hours after application when i was sure it was gone since its very aeromatic...just spray around 5-6 sprays and dont worry about anything you'll see what i mean...

Yeah now I can actually feel it on myself after around 3 hours, I guess, I just get used to it. Now, after spraying first 20 minutes, the smell is very strong, and then it becomes much weaker and very pleasurable. Really happy with this buy

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    None of these fit the OP's price limit of $50.
    Well I just now saw that he said "I guess around $50 . . ." Most of those I suggested are around twice that price, but I thought I would give suggestions of things I think are worth paying extra money for. He did say "around" and "I guess" so I took that as a hint. The OP has a collection of three fragrances and probably will wear this new one most of the time. This an everyday scent that will get used a bunch. For an everyday 100 ml. bottle of cologne a four spray user might get around 200 wearings out of a bottle and if the bottle cost $100 thats 50¢ for the aroma that everyone will smell when they meet you - 50¢ for the smell they think of when they hear your name or think about you. Fragrance is an important part of image and I think the OP is worth it. I don't mind paying as much as $1/day for a really great fragrance and 50¢/day is not too expensive either. Of course buying all this in advance does come down to budget and affordability in the moment, I guess. So this is all a rhetorical suggestion.

Live Jazz is good recommendation for an everyday cologne that would only cost around 20¢ per day.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 19th July 2014 at 05:19 PM.