Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Thoughts on Bond No. 9

So I recently smelled Bond No. 9's Lexington Ave (used to be called Andy warhol) & Sag harbor and kinda liked it, better than most of the stuff i had smelled from them. Though nice, i felt like their stuff was a bit overpriced since they were kinda like upscale versions of existing designer scents. (Also some of the stuff like the I love new york's and Chez bond felt very synthetic.)

I've smelled the following:
    New Haarlem
    Chez Bond
    I love new york for all / for fathers
    Riverside Drive
    Bleeker Street
    New York Amber

I'm curious about a few things: are there other scents that are similar to Lexington Ave? how about Sag Harbor? I also felt like sag harbor was a tad too feminine. is there something out there like it thats more unisex? Lastly, which bond no.9's are actually worth the money in terms of quality and uniqueness in your opinion? Preferably something more natural smelling since from what i've smelled so far most seem to be kinda synthetic.
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Default Re: Thoughts on Bond No. 9

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    Lastly, which bond no.9's are actually worth the money in terms of quality and uniqueness in your opinion?
    Just my opinion - None.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Your nose wasn't lying to you. Bond No.9s are chemical bombs, overloaded with fixatives and synthetics to make them last longer and project further. I wish it isn't so. I was checking a few of them out yesterday. By the third scent I was already reeling with a rare onset of migrain. The synthetic vibe is simply overwhelming, much more than Tom Ford's.

CologneFan85

I enjoys Bonds, synthetics or not. To me that DOES NOT MATTER. If it smells good it smells good.

I have I Love NY for all because I love strong scents and cacao. Bug just one spray already makes me nauseus.

- - - Updated - - -

I have I Love NY for all because I love strong scents and cacao. Bug just one spray already makes me nauseus.

I've only tried one. NY Oud. That was enough to turn me off from Bond No. 9 completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Your nose wasn't lying to you. Bond No.9s are chemical bombs, overloaded with fixatives and synthetics to make them last longer and project further. I wish it isn't so. I was checking a few of them out yesterday. By the third scent I was already reeling with a rare onset of migrain. The synthetic vibe is simply overwhelming, much more than Tom Ford's.
    Couldn't have put it better. I've tried wearing Cooper Square once or twice and I simply couldn't stand it, regret purchasing it every time I look at it.

Chinatown and New Haarlem are the only two frags from Bond the I would even conider buying. I've sampled so many of thier fragrances and most of them are not even worth my time to drve 20 minutes to pick up the samples.

However, Chinatown is something special although it is very floral. But a guy can pull it off - I wear it frequently. And you've already sample New Haarlem so you know how great it smells.

Dcampbell

For what they produce they are over priced. Although if they had a lower price tag I might own one or two. My wife likes Chinatown and I actually think that one smells like it was made by a different house. I will admit I did like the smell of Sag Harbor. I used to own Wall Street, Bleecker Street, and New Haarlem but as I started sniffing out other houses I realized they weren't worth it. I kinda feel the same way about the By Kilian house too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Their offerings are unique, original, various, diverse and interesting, but you are essentially getting, mostly, designer quality fragrances at a niche price. If money is not an object to you, then you will have fun with the house, but if you are on a tight budget, then there are much better houses out there for you, both designer and niche.

Oh, and by the way, every online community is different. The Basenotes fragrance community HATES Bond, but the Facebook fragrance community LOVES Bond. So no opinion is set in stone or objective.

That said, if you like gourmand fragrances, I do think New Haarlem is worth the price.

I would maybe purchase 1 out of 8 or 9 offerings from them so about a 12% approval rate. Not very high considering Odin rates at about 90% and Amouage 75%.

The value of bonds are pretty low for what they cost.... at the same price point diptyque, frederic malle, byredo, serge lutens are all available which to me have better value than bonds

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, Bond is stuck between the crossroad between cost and quality.

For example, Chez Bond, very good fragrance by them (smells a little bit like Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed).

Cool Water is the same quality at a much lower price.
    Green Irish Tweed is the same price with much greater quality.

Let's say if Bond sold all their fragrances at $80 for 100ml (and $50 for 50ml), they would be the best fragrance house on the planet, IMO.

CologneFan85

The Hamptons are similar to Sag Harbor

All much of a muchness for me. None really stood out when I went through them all. I really tried with them, and I wore a few of them, but the projection and longevity were quite poor.

Some people say the Bonds last all day with them, but unfortunately that wasn't how it was for me.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    All much of a muchness for me. None really stood out when I went through them all. I really tried with them, and I wore a few of them, but the projection and longevity were quite poor.

Some people say the Bonds last all day with them, but unfortunately that wasn't how it was for me.
    You are defiantly out of the norm then. Most Bonds Tend to last a long time, BUT everyone skin chem is diff obviously. I like Bond because they are diverse and fun frags.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    You are defiantly out of the norm then. Most Bonds Tend to last a long time, BUT everyone skin chem is diff obviously. I like Bond because they are diverse and fun frags.
    I know, which is a shame. I think Bond are different, I give them credit for that, but I can only judge on my experience of them. Coney Island was a really fun fragrance but it just didn't last on me. I wish it lasted, but it's just not happening on my skin.

I urge everyone to try them though. I had a lot of fun trying and testing them.

CologneFan85

I love Coney Island. The drydown is very unique. The chocolate and caramel mix smells like a funnel cake IMO. It seriously matches coney island atmospheric vibes. The margartia opening and that dry down is smell all over that beach.

I love Coney Island. The drydown is very unique. The chocolate and caramel mix smells like a funnel cake IMO. It seriously matches coney island atmospheric vibes. The margartia opening and that dry down is smell all over that beach.
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean with the funnel cake vibe. It's transforms so much between the top notes and base notes too! I can't think of any other fragrance that changes like that.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean with the funnel cake vibe. It's transforms so much between the top notes and base notes too! I can't think of any other fragrance that changes like that.
    Same here. My wife said in a packet of cigarettes the foil is in that it smelt like that on the drydown. Were both non smokers but she said that in a good way. Odd but I can relate it to that too If I think about it.

Same here. My wife said in a packet of cigarettes the foil is in that it smelt like that on the drydown. Were both non smokers but she said that in a good way. Odd but I can relate it to that too If I think about it.
    I guess I'll have to ask one of my smoker friends if I can smell one of their packets then haha.

In summer I like Fire Island because it smells just like the Bain de Soleil I used to wear as a kid, and my wife loves Coney Island as it's a fun and unique combo of margaritas, candy floss and melon. Their gourmands are great too although gourmands aren't my cup of tea.

I think they excel in scents that are unlike traditional niche notes and accords; I doubt a Bond No. 9 vetiver would hold up against the likes of Guerlain, Malle or Chanel for example. Therefore if you really like one of their frags and it's a unique note, I say go for it as they make quality juice.

Ignore people who claim natural ingredients are some sort of magic in fragrance; every great nose uses tons of synthetics as they're often simply better than the natural alternative at any price point.

CologneFan85

Couldnt agree more! Bonds are great and unique!

Basenotes Junkie

I love Bond no 9...They have quite a few amazing frags: New Haarlem, Coney Island, Little Italy, Marriage Equality, and my most recent purchase, which I can't get enough of, Silver Factory (now repackaged as Silver, but I have the Silver Factory version). These are my favorites. They are all very unique, fun, modern and interesting!! I have been looking to get Silver Factory for months and finally picked up a full bottle. I love the stuff. I didn't think I'd grow to love it as much as I do in such a short amount of time...I've only had it since Saturday.

Don't let the HUGE amount of Bond haters sway you in your opinion of the house. Make your own opinion and own it. I say it in almost every Bond thread that it's just too popular to hate this house, but then the haters always seem to point out 2-5 bottles that they really like, which, if they really analyzed their collections, they would probably find that they owned about the same amount of bottles from fragrance houses that they "loved".

I love New Haarlem and I Love NY For All and really like Bleecker Street and Brooklyn

I have tried
    Chez Bond
    Wall St.
    Fire Island
    Riverside Drive
    West Side
    Little Italy
    Coney Island

Don't care for them... Riverside Drive smells NICE...one of them smell like a synthetic GIT(could be nice for the right price), one smells like a very soft and feminine rose...another smells like diarrhea for 30-40 minutes then it turns into suntan lotion scent, another smells like an oregano(i think) BOMB disgusting, and another is pretty decent cucumber smell. And another smells like Bazooka joe bubble gum and I think it might be the bond that turns into a warehouse filled with hanging beef/meat. Not worth $200 bond charges and not even worth the $100-150 you can find them on fragrancent/x/beauty encounter etc..
    Last edited by LoPsOrange; 25th April 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post
    In summer I like Fire Island because it smells just like the Bain de Soleil I used to wear as a kid, and my wife loves Coney Island as it's a fun and unique combo of margaritas, candy floss and melon.
    It's interesting how you get melon and candy floss. Do you pick up the cake vibe?

Even though I always sniff a few Bonds when I see them, there are really only two or three that I find even remotely worthy of their price point (Silver Factory -- which is still very unoriginal, Marriage Equality, and the original Andy). As mentioned, the quality versus cost is a concern -- not that they're using bad materials (it's just highly processed synthetics with a ton of che, but that they rely on the same tricks over and over again: extremely loud, cloying, sweet, and faux-exotic. To me, they're one of the worst offenders of appearing "niche" but are actually little more than a highly commercial venture with little interest in actual artistry, and a preference for gimmickry and playing up to their specified market. There's a tackiness to them in their design, their scents, and their approach to perfumery in general that just rubs me the wrong way.

With that said, give them a try -- they're absolutely worth trying. Just know that much of the criticism that you'll see around here is well-founded and accurate, but ultimately it's your nose that matters. Just recognize that they're far closer to designer / mass-market in their intent than niche lines such as O'Drieu, Sonoma Scent, Lutens, Slumberhouse etc. It's not a bad thing, just know what you're dealing with and don't get suckered into thinking they're something that they're not. That's part of their business strategy, and what allows them to charge three times the price of what their fragrances are worth.