Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fake Body Kouros. Seller refuses to take it back. What can I do?

I purchased a 100ml bottle of Body Kouros from a discount fragrance store at the mall.

The owner of the store had no testers of any fragrances. He gaurenteed it was real Body Kouros and not fake.

I sprayed BK and it smells weak.

There is no frankincense.

There is no vanilla. None. There isn't even a hint of vanilla. There is no smell of benzoin.

What I smell is a weak bubble gum accord with mint. Its odd because the mint comes and goes. The bubble gum gets weak then comes back.

After this, I was at a different discount fragrance store at a different shopping center and the employee sprayed 1 spray of Body Kouros on my hand. I smelled a strong incense smell. This is how I know my bottle must be fake.

My bottle has no numbers on the bottom of the bottle. Just a sticker that says 100ml, 3.3 fl oz, and BRI made in france.

How can I force the owner to take back his fake bottle? He seemed to not care, told me his was authentic and refused to take it back. He pointed at a sign that said no returns.

Should he be punished for selling fakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fake Body Kouros. Seller refuses to take it back. What can I do?

You could say to him that if he doesnt issue you with a refund that you are going to have trading standards investigate that his store is selling counterfeit goods.

Im not sure what your equivalant of trading standards is in usa, but its worth a try.

Hec yeah! You may have to report him to the Better Business Bureau.

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to tried searching forum for any reformulation given its an old scent?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Hec yeah! You may have to report him to the Better Business Bureau.
    Did you pay cash or use a card? If you used a card call your credit card company and explain the situation. Me, I'm the drama king when it comes to merchants, I'm so relentless they have no choice but to refund me.
    I would call the credit card company while I am there and let them know it is a fake product and you are trying to get the charge reversed. Also, ask the credit card company if they would like to speak with the merchant. If they both refuse to speak then put your credit card company on notice that you are disputing the charge and you are leaving the merchandise on the counter as you speak. Be persistent don't be shy about it. I'm soft spoken and laid back, but as soon as you mess with my money, the New York Italian comes out and leaves them wide eyed. Especially the middle easterners, they want no part of me.
    Damn I'm pumped up now! Hell I'm going out to kick somebody's ass tonight. I'm going to spray on some Acier Aluminum and roll! That my friend is an awesome under appreciated fragrance.

Good Luck,

Let me know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably real and probably smells fine.

Did you pay with a credit card? I guess not or we wouldn't be having this conversation. You could try to be persistent and maybe complain to mall management and see if they are willing to help you. I guess there's a lesson here somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Did you pay with a credit card? I guess not or we wouldn't be having this conversation. You could try to be persistent and maybe complain to mall management and see if they are willing to help you. I guess there's a lesson here somewhere.
    I paid cash. The store gave a discount for paying cash.

This is a small store that is run by a guy who works there all the time. It's not a chain store or big store where I could write to someone higher up. Its like a kiosk in some malls.

Everyone working there is the same pakastani or middle eastern race. I think he runs it with his wife and son. I've never seen a white, black, or asian employee. It's always him or his wife or son.

^What does race have to do with anything? Your bottle is authentic. It's very unlikely that someone would fake Body Kouros since It's not a big seller, and can be had for around $30.

With some recent reformulations what you described seems like it may become the norm and is not the sign of a fake, unfortunately. Try the new 1-12 with no moss of any kind listed on the box and see what you think, for example.

A few points:

1. None of us has any way of knowing if your suspicion that you received a fake is correct.

2. It is not impossible, but is extremely unlikely that a Body Kouros would be faked.

3. Going by your nose because you think it just smells different from other batches is notoriously unreliable. Years ago, I was sure a bottle of Perry Ellis I bought was faked because of its smell, and shelved it. A year ago (after I learned how to spot fakes and learned about production codes), I pulled it out and realized it was authentic.

4. It's much more likely that your bottle may have been stored improperly for an extended period if it smells off, but really, that's not a given, either.

5. It's bad business to refuse your return, but as far as your remedies, they are limited. Since you paid cash, you can't complain to the credit card company. You can complain to the BBB, but that only works if the vendor is a member. Further, the most the BBB can do is try to mediate between the two of you.

6. If I was unhappy with the smell of a fragrance because I thought it had been stored improperly, I'd probably complain, but I'd realize my remedies are nil and wouldn't push it. Fakes? If I was SURE I received a fake, I'd go to the BBB or even my local district attorney -- there are often criminal statutes that are involved with counterfeit goods -- but only if I was POSITIVE I bought a fake.

7. Bigsly's point is spot on -- I loved 1-12, but the current non-oakmoss version smells very different. If I didn't know better and I bought it, I might think it was a fake.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

You have two options: You can either get over it and cut your losses or you can walk into the store with the bottle and smash it on the floor and walk out. I would go with option 1. Seriously though its probably not fake. Do you have a picture of the bottle?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I would stand outside the kiosk with a big sign that reads "FAKES" and try to start a boycott. Refund granted.

Post Thanks / Like

If not a refund then the very least ask for some good homemade biryani.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what being "Middle Eastern" has to do with anything.

Who would fake this stuff? Theres no point.

Put your big boy pants on, and suck it up. Final sale means final sale. This is not Neiman Marcus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If not a refund then the very least ask for some good homemade biryani.
    My first laugh of the day!

Post Thanks / Like

Go there with some friends and ask if he would kindly take the bottle back. Don't leave until he does.