Code of Conduct

Thread: Voleur de Roses

Default Voleur de Roses

Basenoters:

I'm 22 years old (male) and am intrigued by the glowing reviews given to L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses. I enjoy scents that transport the wearer, and I'm contemplating adding it to my wardrobe. But, in your experiences, is it suitable for a young person like myself? What have been others' reactions when they get a whiff of the sillage? I'd just like to get a more distinct view of the scent (as I have not been able to sample it yet) to determine whether or not it's age-appropriate and as good as Basenoters are saying.

Thanks for all your help; I really appreciate it.

-Darren

Default Re: Voleur de Roses

I'm younger than you and wear it all the time from my decant. It is one that I will own very soon, but have not gotten it yet. It is a wonderful scent all together. One of the better L'Artisans, IMO.

I don't think it is very powerful. It wears close to my skin and so it doesn't really radiate like some onthers I own. It is a scent for those who love scent. It is not for others really. More to smell on yourself. That is just my opinion of course. Low sillage but it lasts a decent amount of time. Totally worth buying samples if you are thinking about that.

I really do like it (got a sample). It smells like roses and dirt. Now, that may sound bad at first, but its actually a nice scent. Sorry, I can't help you any more than giving that brief description, because I am also wondering how masculine/young this fragrance is. It may end up being for an old(er) woman.

Smile Re: Voleur de Roses

I know you are a huge Creed fan and Voleur de Roses is very different from any Creeds that I know. It may be a good thing. Voleur de Roses is a patchouli/rose blend and it's one of the few L'Artisans that I own. I like it and it does gives me a good sillage.

Since you live in L.A., I suggest you visit Barney's New York in Beverly Hills and give it a 'test'. They also have Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle since you're interested in venturing out of Creed:-)

Darren--- I apologise for not giving you a reply on your PM as I've been quite busy the past few days. I will give you an answer by tomorrow.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

If you like unisex florals, Frederic Malles Carnal Flower and Bond no. 9s' Chelsea Flowers are good choices too - the best floral I have smelled is Creeds Fleurs De (the) Bulgarie (its a bit feminine) and Creeds Tubeurose Indiana, which is my favorite unisex floral and smells fantastic (honeysuckle + bulgarian rose)
    -

Don't worry about the age thing. I really don't see VDR targeted to a certain age bracket. It's really unique and I remember trying it out for the first time. I really didn't like it but now it's in my top 5. I only really have one problem with VDR, you can't really wear it on a sunny day or even a cool day. To fell the true magic of VDR, wear it on a really rainy day.

VdR is a lovely scent of dew drenched roses and wet earth. It would completely fine on most people of most ages. I do not see it being targetted at any age group and/or having anthing that usually gets called old-person-like, whatever that may be (usually, excessively powdery, sweet, intense or classically soapy). You should really get a sample from luckyscent or something to see how it works on your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by joellark
    Sorry, I can't help you any more than giving that brief description, because I am also wondering how masculine/young this fragrance is. It may end up being for an old(er) woman.
    Though L'Artisans are supposedly unisex, it says "Un masculin singulier" in the box... and when I once wore VdR to work, a female workmate loved it but thought it was one of our guys who was wearing it, she found it such a masculine scent.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Voleur de Roses is absolutely divine. In my Top 10.

Imo this is suitable for everyone no matter of the age at all. Go for it, definitely!

I think although this is considered generally as an unisex scent, it is much more towards the masculine side. It must be the patchouli, and in fact, I think this is the best patchouli prominent scent ever made!!

I would try to explain exactly how it VdR smells, but cedarmoth (who as far as I can tell has never done anything on BN other than post this review) puts it so much more succinctly:

"Smells like sex between a vampire and somebody's grandmother. In a crypt. Totally intoxicating."

It's one of the more unique fragrances I've had the pleasure of trying. Definitely test before buying, but I suspect that you will enjoy it. Let us know what you think.

EDIT: Three star post. All hail the Super Member

Cool Re: Voleur de Roses

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    If you like unisex florals, Frederic Malles Carnal Flower and Bond no. 9s' Chelsea Flowers are good choices too - the best floral I have smelled is Creeds Fleurs De (the) Bulgarie (its a bit feminine) and Creeds Tubeurose Indiana, which is my favorite unisex floral and smells fantastic (honeysuckle + bulgarian rose)

What is a man's rose as opposed to a unisex one?

Naw. I don't want to go of into one of those boring " There is ( is not! ) such a thing a masculine or feminine" rants.

It's just that, like zztop, I think Tuberurose Indiana has an amazing scent, though marketed as a woman's (not unisex) frag.

So my question, which I guess IS predicated on the masculine/feminine premise, after all, is : What makes a predominatly rose scent 'manly'?

Where is the testosterone component in Aramis 900 after half an hour? Is it the herbal component? The supposedly arid tone? What about VdR? is it the "dirt" ? What about C & Z's # 88?

Anyone with something constructive to say?

Thanks.

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Exclamation Re: Voleur de Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    What is a man's rose as opposed to a unisex one?

Naw. I don't want to go of into one of those boring " There is ( is not! ) such a thing a masculine or feminine" rants.

It's just that, like zztop, I think Tuberurose Indiana has an amazing scent, though marketed as a woman's (not unisex) frag.

So my question, which I guess IS predicated on the masculine/feminine premise, after all, is : What makes a predominatly rose scent 'manly'?

Where is the testosterone component in Aramis 900 after half an hour? Is it the herbal component? The supposedly arid tone? What about VdR? is it the "dirt" ? What about C & Z's # 88?

Anyone with something constructive to say?

Thanks.

Mario.
    From my experience, Chelsea Flowers and Fleur de The Bulgarie have a dominating floral component. That makes them more "feminine". In the case of Carnal Flower, the rose doesnt dominate much, and you can clearly smell the citrus and coconut notes throughout the life of the scent. Same goes for Tubeurose Indiana, with its honeysuckle note.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    From my experience, Chelsea Flowers and Fleur de The Bulgarie have a dominating floral component. That makes them more "feminine". In the case of Carnal Flower, the rose doesnt dominate much, and you can clearly smell the citrus and coconut notes throughout the life of the scent. Same goes for Tubeurose Indiana, with its honeysuckle note.
    'Une Rose' (Editions Malle) which has almost pure rose should be considered nothing but a feminine scent then? It has also been classified as that, an exception in that house! However, to me it is not, whereas most of the so-called unisex scents from Malle, wonderful as they are, I consider a no-no on myself. I found it very interesting that Malle offered a second rose scent, almost from the start: Lipstick Rose, feminine as anyone may wish!

Rose, as a dominant note in VdR: maybe the impressions are different with different wearers! From beginning to the end, I get the (crimson) rose. Yes, there is patchouly, and/or the 'plum' note also. 1:1:1, at the start. I happen to like this mix, the overall effect is beyond description, but may disappoint those who are in search of mainly rose. Serge Lutens has that. A discussion of the technical aspects does not describe the mystery and melancholy some perfumes spread. VdR is one of those to me, Vol de Nuit another.
    Last edited by narcus; 10th August 2006 at 08:08 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Just a warning - I was really looking forward to this scent, I thought I would love it from what I had read but ended up very dissapointed. To me it is a patchouli scent first and foremost. Definately try before you buy as the rose is not the dominant note.

Hope you try it and love it
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by joellark
    I really do like it (got a sample). It smells like roses and dirt. Now, that may sound bad at first, but its actually a nice scent. Sorry, I can't help you any more than giving that brief description, because I am also wondering how masculine/young this fragrance is. It may end up being for an old(er) woman.
    I thought it smelled like roses and dirt too - perfect for some Goth female.

I'd never wear it. The only male or unisex rose scent I've ever come across that I liked is Ungaro 111.
    Renato

Red face Re: Voleur de Roses

VDR is a very unique scent. It is engaging rather than beautiful.
    It can take on a sour-ish nature at times, but in general is absolutely enchanting in it's individuality. Nothing else smells like VDR!

A precaution: If you happen to get some on a jacket or sweater and then put the clothing away, upon wearing again the VDR residue gives off the scent of putrid patchouli. Not very pleasant!

This being said I enjoy wearing VDR. It makes me feel set apart from the run of the mill fragrance wearing masses. For me finding a unique and mysterious scent is part of the enjoyment of this hobby.

Cheers;
    B.G.

For the record, Dominique Ropoin's Carnal Flower for Edition de Parfum Frederic Malle does not contain a rose scent, or any rose in it's composition. The dominant floral note in Carnal Flower is Tuberose. It's the Tuberose "absolute' that never leaves from beginning ( top notes ) to it's phenomenal drydown. This is also the reason why it's the highest priced fragrance of the house. Tuberose is very expensive.

As for Frederic Malle's Une Rose, I tried it last week and I really loved it. I may get a bottle.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I really really like VdR, but I find it perplexing in that I can't figure out when to wear it. Its not that it would be inappropriate in any particular situation, its just that its ideal situation is a peculiary one. I like Peace's writeup in the House Referendum, though I don't find VdR as morbid, more melancholic. There is a "distance" to VdR which evokes a grave. I think shifts once described it as being suited for sitting by a window overlooking the bustling crowd in a city as it rains, "not of this world". It smells, to me, like Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders. In actual application, I think of VdR as the perfect rainy funeral scent. But I don't go to enough funerals to justify a bottle purchase, alas.

I don't get these death/funeral associations at all, to my nose VdR smells like LIFE! It's all moist earth and juicy plums, rose bushes in full bloom...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I find VdR to be rather pedestrian and boring.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I suggest you sample before spending your money on VdR!

Its not a scent everyone love, its an acquired taste that only jaded scentheads here admired.

I will have to go with the minority here and say it: VdR is not worth the price.

Sure its different, nice Rosy topnotes and great transformation into rainfresh bitter dirt smell - but it only last for 15 mins. On the drydown, you will be left with that sour dirt smell of Patchouli. It reminds me of mothballs in an old closet.

Unless you are planning on a hippy funeral, you will find few occassion to wear it.

I went through a few samples of it and now I'm dry. I need to bite the bullet and get a bottle. I think what's holding me back is what happened to me regarding Passage D'Enfer--I had gone through a few samples of it and it was far and away my favorite scent of all time. Then I got a bottle and after maybe a month, it just didn't smell the same to me, and I could never recapture that feeling that it gave me before.

I really, really love Voleur de Roses. But I'm afraid that once I get a bottle, then the same thing will happen-- it will fall to earth, like my Passage D'Enfer did.

Man, when I first sampled VdR, it was such a wonderful experience. It did transport me indeed. And like others have said, it can be tricky knowing when to wear it. I was always kind of scared to wear it in public--I'd rather savor it on my own time. Of course if it was a rainy Autumn day, I'd wear it with total confidence. I'm certain that if you had a poll "What is the hands down best scent for a rainy day?", VdR would be the winner by a landslide.

There is a lot of patchouli in this scent though, so how much you like this scent depends on how much you like patchouli. And my first initial impression of VdR was that it reminded me of the smell of blueberry muffins--I don't know why, but it did.

I'm a fan, definitely.

I have a sample and didn't like it at all. Well, I must be careful because didn't like Dzing! at first either and now it's kind of all time favourite with Jules. So I gave VdR about five more tries this week - no. I'm more and more convinced that patchouli doesn't agree with me. Surely it's a great frag, just be careful.

I'm a patchouli fan, but not really a Rose fan. Voleur de Roses "gets my goat"....I'm intrigued by it and occasionally wear it. I should decant some of this for trade, hmmmm.

ok, upon recent sample, Profumum Rosae Mundi give my nose a better Rose.

ELDO Rossy de Palma punches my nose with top notes and makes me cum when it reaches the bottom notes...enigmatic relationship here.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

This a very nice scent IMO.

I honestly hate patchouli based fragrances. And, to be honest, there is more patchouli in here than rose. But, damn, it's done so well. Love the rose, and the patchouli keeps it masculine. Good stuff.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Putting rose in the name of this fragrance is quite misleading since I can not smell much rose (if any) in it. However, the scenario of a garden shattered by storm is depict perfectly and wonderfully in this fragrance. I'm a patchouli hater but I love this one a lot

I would rather try Lumiere Noire Pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, VDRoses is officially one of the two scents that actually made me throw up - tho roses here i felt were "aged", whereelse in MFK's creation it was fabulously spiced!