Code of Conduct

Thread: Chergui

Default Chergui

Ordered a sample of this about a year ago and shelved it after not thinking much of it. Recently I pulled it out and tried it again. Incredible stuff. Just ordered myself a full bottle. Goes to show how your taste can change.

Default Re: Chergui

You made an excellent choice. I only use mine during special times or occasions. That's how valued it is to me.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Jardin d' Amalfi, DHI, Clive Christian X,, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

A very good oriental, though not the best fragrance from Serge Lutens, I own and like it. I find that I do not wear it much anymore though, as my initial love for it has dwindled a bit. Maybe I got caught up in the hype a bit, when I first started delving into niche frangrance, or I just found out that it was just the tip of the iceberg, and that while good, more amazing fragrances existed.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

A wonderful scent.

And it's perfect for this kind of cold weather.

For me it was too sweet and honeyed. I wanted more of a rich tobacco/hay. I only ordered a sample. But maybe I'll try a sample again in a few months and see if I like it then.

Has a great opening then gets a bit to sweet for me, good fragrance though and the only one from Serge Lutens I like.

I purchased a sample over the summer, and just wore it again about a 2 weeks ago - loved it so much I bought a bottle. Very nice fragrance IMO.

Not only about tastes changing. Moods and cravings change. Some months I'm in the mood for incense then other months florals.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only about tastes changing. Moods and cravings change. Some months I'm in the mood for incense then other months florals.

for swap/sale:

Coincidentally, my second bottle of Chergui arrived yesterday. In cold weather, it's my go-to scent for night events. It's one of my six or seven "will always have a bottle" scents.

Chergui and Un Bois Vanille are my favorite Lutens.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Overcome By Fumes

That thin line between being slightly too something and being amazing. In this case, the something is sweet/sharp/honey but it's right on that line.

Moods change and so do the chemicals in our bodies.

I like Chergui when I have a need for something mildly sweet.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    SO TRUE!!! I wonder how many of us have made purchases we regret, only to revisit the scent months later and realize it's amazing. I know I've done that. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, sadly, I've done the revers as well.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Yes, there's a real argument to be made for spending less, holding onto the things you've bought, and enjoying the experience of watching your tastes change over time.
    And count me among the lovers of Chergui. Not, maybe, as a great work of art but as a very luxurious and comfortable scent. Serge Lutens has made so many really good ones.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

My first delve into niche... it's lovely warmth opened up my nose to so much after only ever smelling run of the mill, department store frags. Great scent - honeyed tobacco with hay, mmmmmmmm!!
    LOST! in scent and music

I bought a sample about 6 months ago and thought it was ok. May have to dig it out and try again.

Had same experience as Mr G. LOVED it initially and bought full bottle. Used it a lot. Then I sort of forgot about it, in part because the powder makes me sneeze in the summer (I'm assuming because allergies are cranked up in summer and powder incites it). Used it the other day and realized how awesome it is!

It's not for me as I prefer several others from the house, but if you like it and want it Beauty Encounter has it for $85.65 this week. A pretty good deal I think.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    It's not for me as I prefer several others from the house, but if you like it and want it Beauty Encounter has it for $85.65 this week. A pretty good deal I think.
    It's also not for me, but this is a great deal, use the code "BENEW" and get another $10 off, bringing the grand total to $75.65!

Not the biggest fan of it. Guys go get some Pepsi , take a whiff of it. Take a swig of it. Go to your Chergui, sniff it. It's Pepsi in a bottle for me, a sophisticated Pepsi which is hard for a 21 - year old to wear!

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    A very good oriental, though not the best fragrance from Serge Lutens, I own and like it. I find that I do not wear it much anymore though, as my initial love for it has dwindled a bit. Maybe I got caught up in the hype a bit, when I first started delving into niche frangrance, or I just found out that it was just the tip of the iceberg, and that while good, more amazing fragrances existed.
    Same story here.

Amazing fragrance. A very classy gourmand.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

I love Fumerie Turque and Ambre Sultan but I had to scrub Chergui. Too thin. I'll try it again, though.

I kept a sample and tried it six month ago and then again recently. Still not my cup of tea. May be i should wait another six months and see if my taste evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by aymondo View Post
    Not the biggest fan of it. Guys go get some Pepsi , take a whiff of it. Take a swig of it. Go to your Chergui, sniff it. It's Pepsi in a bottle for me, a sophisticated Pepsi which is hard for a 21 - year old to wear!
    If Pepsi smelled of incense, tobacco, hay and was very powdery I could understand. Since its not, I have never heard anyone thinking Chergui smelled like Pepsi! I don't know what Pepsi you drink.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Ordered a sample of this about a year ago and shelved it after not thinking much of it. Recently I pulled it out and tried it again. Incredible stuff. Just ordered myself a full bottle. Goes to show how your taste can change.
    ive tried it several times. each time i've tried it, my opinion of it improves, but to me, it's a good fragrance - not a great one.

It is an excellent fragrance, I rate it VERY highly. I have two bottles.

Basenotes Plus

For me its meh. I used to really like it, but the more fragrances I got my nose on, the less "special' it was to me. I eventually sold it, to buy something else.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Quote Originally Posted by aymondo View Post
    Best off that you start with a dab of plain vanilla extract on your wrist. Smell it, sniff it, figure out all the notes - when you feel comfortable move on to more and more complex fragrances. Eventually you'll work your way up to Pepsi, er, I mean Chergui.

Blind bought this and sold it pretty much right away. This smells like cheap women's perfume to me. I tested it many times trying to like it and see what everyone liked about it but just couldn't come around on this one.