Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: Something like a cathedral?

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer,

Especially Amber Absolute by Tom Ford. In fact, my testing notes for this one was "Old, Stony Church." Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. 1899: Ernest Hemingway, Histoires de Parfums
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. 1969, Histoires de Parfums
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    CdG- Avignon, Kyoto, or Hinoki will give you that cathedral-like incense you're probably looking for.
    I tried Avignon and Hinoki, found Avignon wears better on me so I bought it. Its actually very close to Andrea Maack's Craft, though also different. Four purchases in the last month means I need to take a break, but I think in march I shall head out and sample a few from the examples presented here.

Thanks!
    ...a much requested sample of the evening by a group of over excited perfume lovers who likened it to a 'sexy dungeon with a steak house on the top'. Was I one of that group? Well, yes, and it was my first Perfume Lovers Meetup. What a start.

Basilica layered with Scrying Smoke by Solstice Scents. It's like being in the midst of the cathedral during The Mass, surrounded by incense, prayers and carved stone and wood...

Not mossy, but smells exactly like Notre Dame in celebrations before Christmas: Avignon by Comme des Garçons and Full Incense by Montale.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Old thread, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Old thread, folks.
    The threads can be used as reference.
    Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    The threads can be used as reference.
    Yes, by using the search function. Not sure that dragging up a thread to answer a question posed by an OP seven years is that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Yes, by using the search function. Not sure that dragging up a thread to answer a question posed by an OP seven years is that useful.
    Why not?
    Dalai Lama

I think it’s understood that no one is trying to answer OP’s question at this point. People are just refreshing memories and it’s nice to come across information like this even by chance and not having “researched” it.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Heeley's Cardinal.
    This should do: here's what it is:

"A mesmerizing incense blend that comes dangerously close to putting us into an actual trance. It conjures up a grand, stone-walled cathedral -- not dark, dank or gloomy, but a place of light, majesty and infinite calm. We can envision the dreamy tendrils of smoke rising through sunlight streaming in the stained glass windows and feel the reassuring warmth of wood and sun-warmed stone. Airy incense and resinous cistus intermingle with the deep, sweet earthiness of patchouli and vetiver, creating a fragrance that is both spiritual and grounded. Fans of Comme des Garcon's Incense series (particularly Kyoto and Avignon) will want to try this, as well anyone who has been longing for an incense scent without gothic overtones. Warm and reassuring.

Cardinal Notes
    incense, cistus, grey amber, patchouli, vetiver"
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaPsy View Post
    I am thinking in proportion - cold wet stone, some moss, very old wood, and some incense.
    Great suggestions in this thread, but a lot of frags that are incense-forward (like when putting the nose just near the incense burner). In that category, I would cite Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures, Unum Lavs, Piguet Casbah and Heeley Cardinal.

That said, for a real impression of church (that is: when one is sitting at the 20th row during a mass, and one smells mostly the woods and mold, with warm round whiffs of incense arriving occasionally, but not sharp), I can't think of a more accurate fragrance than Goutal Encens Flamboyant.

Also, many have cited Goodsir Bois d'Ascese. A stunning fragrance, that, in spite of having an incense note, results being a tobacco-centered frag to my nose, without giving an impression of church. (still: highly recommended, but may not fit your bill in this case).
    Currently wearing: Ursa by Tiziana Terenzi

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Great suggestions in this thread, but a lot of frags that are incense-forward (like when putting the nose just near the incense burner). In that category, I would cite Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures, Unum Lavs, Piguet Casbah and Heeley Cardinal.

That said, for a real impression of church (that is: when one is sitting at the 20th row during a mass, and one smells mostly the woods and mold, with warm round whiffs of incense arriving occasionally, but not sharp), I can't think of a more accurate fragrance than Goutal Encens Flamboyant.

Also, many have cited Goodsir Bois d'Ascese. A stunning fragrance, that, in spite of having an incense note, results being a tobacco-centered frag to my nose, without giving an impression of church. (still: highly recommended, but may not fit your bill in this case).
    That's an interesting suggestion with the Encens Flamboyant for being sat further back among the pews, as opposed to being up close, which the other colognes convey more of. For something along those lines, I would suggest trying the Basilica mentioned above alone, without the layering. This smells as though you are in the cathedral early in the morning, or perhaps in the afternoon hours, when it's quiet and the incense is much more subtle.

Basenotes Plus

It was mentioned on page 1 (7 years ago!) that CDG 2Man is a good one. Growing up Catholic, smelling the censers in church, and having smelled a whole lot of the other suggestions, I can say that 2 Man is the most evocative of the churchy incense perfumes I have smelled.
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse