Code of Conduct

Question Niche Counterfeits - Quesiton

Is there some safe level of niche fragrances that are so obscure to the public at large so as to be safely immune from counterfeits, or is everything potentially infected? I've been doing a lot of ebay scouting (and some purchases) of late and am impressed by the volume of highly dubious and plainly bogus offerings. Seems hard to believe that it is worth the time to manufacture knockoff bottles and boxes for a lot of this stuff. (I presume creating the juice is the easy part since it can be almost any crap.) You almost have to admire the level of effort.

Default Re: Niche Counterfeits - Quesiton

To my knowledge most niche has not been counterfeited.
    What they counterfeit are the (designer) bestsellers (Chanel, Dior, Paco Rabanne, Alien, Le Male etc. etc.)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Annick Goutal: Ambre Fetiche
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa Oud
    - Histoires de Parfums: 1740 Marquis de Sade
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

My guess is that one is much safer with niche brands as many houses are not recognized as being popular and therefore less likely does the desire exist to go through the trouble of faking it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

We all know there are fake Creed, and Tom Ford, and apparently there are fake Amouage as well. Other than that, I can't recall any mention of fake niche fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    We all know there are fake Creed, and Tom Ford, and apparently there are fake Amouage as well. Other than that, I can't recall any mention of fake niche fragrances.
    I think it is only the most popular Creeds that are faked though, like Aventus. I doubt a more obscure or less popular Creed would be faked.

Hard to think that anybody would make all the effort to fake something that doesn't have a big market to start with. But refilling a bottle isn't very difficult, and I'm sure this happens.

Exceptions, as jivehippo was saying, are those brands that have a distribution that's much wider than niche (Creed, Tom Ford). Low price doesn't mean fake, of course; Creed for instance probably has different distribution channels.

cacio

Here's the logic: It's all about volume. Most niche has very low selling volume compared to designer. An exception would be a fragrance like Creed Aventus (niche price, but designer-like volume). Anything expensive and popular is at risk for being faked. So, a very low percentage of niche suffers from counterfeits.
    Some favorites: Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial, Amouage Epic Man, Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL M7, YSL Kouros (vintage), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Gucci Pour Homme (2003), Hermes Bel Ami (vintage), Hermes Equipage, Chanel Antaeus (vintage), Chanel Pour Monsieur (vintage), Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Guerlain L'Homme Intense, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Etro Palais Jamais, Etro Vetiver, Etro Shaal Nur, Davidoff Zino (1st), AdP Essenza, AdP Intensa Oud, Gianfranco Ferre For Man (vintage), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Knize Ten, Calvin Klein Obsession (vintage), Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque Hesperides, Byredo Accord Oud

Since niche means expensive, there will be counterfeits.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

Doubt we will be seeing any Roja counterfeits anytime soon..

Hard to say, except for a case by case basis. Green Irish Tweed? Definitely. Comme des Garcons Zagorsk? Unlikely.
    "just a smile would lighten everything"
    https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

It's where you buy that will give you assurance.
    for swap/sale: