Code of Conduct

Default Muscs Koublai Khan

I just tried a wax sample of the infamous MKK. Yes, the 'barnyard' smell was there at the start, but then it turned into something sweet and pleasant. It kind of reminds me of Kouros: sweet and floral on top, but there is something very animalic underneath. I will have to follow it up with a liquid sample, but I think I like it.

Default Re: Muscs Koublai Khan

A very nice scent.

I love MKK.

It's good stuff. Never mind the detractors.

I've always wanted to try this one, but haven't gotten around to getting a sample. I'm a little afraid to be honest based on some of the reviews.

You see where MKK is ranked in my top 10 list below? That's how much I love this juice.... a very very addicting fragrance for me... i love stanky fragrance though...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Still my reference musk

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Actually, the most polarizing and most discussed fragrances are the ones I want to try the most! I do like everything I have sampled from Serge Lutens. I think more than a few from this House will be bottle worthy. So many fragrances, so little time...

If you like musk, amber, civet, spicy, anamalic, and stanky barnyard fragrance....you will love mkk....

Quote Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
    Actually, the most polarizing and most discussed fragrances are the ones I want to try the most! I do like everything I have sampled from Serge Lutens. I think more than a few from this House will be bottle worthy. So many fragrances, so little time...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

love it, will always have in my collection

one of the few masterpieces

it's a must try for any fragrance lover
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

A very nice fragrance, indeed. My favorite Lutens release.

Even though I'm not a fan of musks, MKK is marvelous.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Lucky for those who can smell it. MKK seem to contain the kind of musk that some (like me) are anosmic for.

I like it.
    Try also Smell Bent's commando - MKK minus the florals.

I'm glad all of y'all like it, and would recommend that anyone interested in fragrances at least try it.

Personally, I think it is one of the most horrifyingly disgusting fragrances I have ever smelled. I'm not exaggerating to prove a point; I dislike it that much. C'est la vie. I have a big sample from TPC that I spray on my arm every now and then when people wax rhapsodic about MKK just to remind myself that, yes, I'm out of step.

But it's one of those that everybody should try (just not around me).
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I always felt it was nice, skanky, but not a winning composition. I would have wanted more edges besides the skank. That's why I prefer Dzing! e.g.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I have a big sample from TPC that I spray on my arm every now and then when people wax rhapsodic about MKK just to remind myself that, yes, I'm out of step.
    I wouldn't say you're out of step. You don't care for it. Lots of people don't (in fact I'm surprised that this thread hasn't degenerated yet). It would be so boring if we all liked exactly the same things.

Great fragrance, and it's buzzing with brains. "A radiant fur'' describes it well. Like many animalic smells (in nature, or perfume) it's subtle, but profound.

Animalic ingredients in Muscs Koublai Khan:

Civet
    Castoreum
    Costus
    Ambrette seed
    Three kinds of musk

Basenotes Plus

Good stuff. One of those "you-don't-like-it-at-first-but-you-can't-stop-yourself-from-sniffing-at-your-arm-anyway" fragrances. What is projected is actually a lot friendlier than what the opening suggests.

Love the stuff. It definitely grows on you.

I've rubbed into my loins for lucky evenings. It makes me feel like Pan in a field full of wanting spring maidens.
    ( you think I'm jokin'?)
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

To me it smells like an old lady! MKK is totally overrated, not shocking, just boring!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

The scent itself is as ambivalent as are people's experiences and opinions of it. It is skanky yet beautiful. Loud yet subdued.
    As others have said - a must try

MKK smells sensual to me however, it is very polite, well-mannered and not skanky like ...say Musc Ravageur

While I'm deeply in the camp that is horrified by MKK, I've tried maybe six times in the hope that I'd get what everyone else is raving about, and the most I've been able to stand it for is two hours, I've scrubbed it off every time; I recommend that it be sampled it may work fantastically for you.

For every one that loves it just remember that when you were MKK around other people their noses may not be as forgiving and can lead to some embarrasing social interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    MKK smells sensual to me however, it is very polite, well-mannered and not skanky like ...say Musc Ravageur
    +1, the few times I tried it.

I'm not horrified by it, but like Birdboy I'm at least partially anosmic to it (as I am to the musk in Smell Bent's Commando, for that matter). It smells like wet Ivory soap to me. So MKK is a really weird thing to my nose: a layer of extremely cliched over-heavy perfume smell of the kind I never care for, a layer of sweaty civet floating on top, and buckets of the soggy goo from a soap dish at the bottom. Very much blah, neither sensual nor barnyardy.

I actually rather like the civet bit. I keep meaning to go looking for modern experimental civet scents that aren't mingled with heavy classical floral/ambers.

I'm probably also in te camp of being partially anosmic. I tried it for the first time the other day and braced myself for at least a very polarizing experience. I found it to be a mild, pleasant almsot clean smell. Nothing that I could even imagine someone perceiving to be skanky or disgusting or challenging. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but to me it smells like something I would classify as a 'safe' scent.

Reading all the posts and reviews I am maybe also partially anosmic to it because to me it is also a "safe" scent, an old-fashioned and boring one.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush