Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Overseas hassles

Anyone else in USA have hassles selling things overseas? The few times I have agreed on an overseas sale it ends up a hassle. Postal service refusing to let me send liquid, people complaining of leaks or broken items, lost in customs...etc. I hear the complaints of people who live overseas that USA members won't ship international, but I am joining the club. No more overseas shipments.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd January 2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: reference to sales
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Overseas hassles

Probably not worth the hassle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Probably not worth the hassle.
    My thoughts exactly...I feel for those overseas who complain about no one shipping to them, but I sent out 4 spilts of an expensive parfume oil, and the only complaint was my overseas order, leakage, having to pay customs b/c I won't lie and put "gift" on the customs form. My post office specifically asks me about liquid in all my overseas packages, then requires proof that it isn't flammable...stupid b/c people buy whole bottles in duty free shops then carry them on the plane...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Vice-versa, I no longer buy from people in the U.S. (ebay etc.), unless it is something I really really want. But then, there is very little I really want.

So far I had no problems receiving items from the USA. Not sure if I've ever sent perfume there, but no problems sending it anywhere so far. Only had to pay tax once when receiving an item from China, I think it was, but the company refunded the money promptly.

I've received over 50 perfumes via post. Majority of purchases from the US but swaps from all over the world.
    Out of those times only twice or thrice have I had breaks or leaks.

I've been able to send and receive without issues either. Except for Canada in 2012. Apparently Canadian customs went into conservative mode and kept sending everything back.

But otherwise I've never had an issue.

for swap/sale:

I've shipped many things overseas. They've all made it safely. You just have to package right and smudge a little on the description of contents.

I've actually had more problems shipping within the US, but I'm sure the ratio is skewed.

I think, international transactions are fun. You just have to be aware of the risks and calculate the customs before buying.

So far I had three purchases from U.S.A. It always took about six weeks, the tracking of the parcel was not accurate, two got stuck at the customs. No leaking. There was once a little damage due to improper handling at the customs, which really annoys me.

Declaring it as gift doesn't seem to work.

And there where several EU transactions which went just fine. Except one from UK. I thought of posting it in the accident thread. A seller who had obviously no idea how to pack perfume bottles. Very sad.

To prevent leaking I recommend laboratory film (wrapping around the neck and closure of bottles, like vials, decants etc) or clear film when shipping glass stopper bottles. Just wrap them completely.

I must admit, that I now avoid buying from outside Europe, and wherever possible buy within the U.K.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I've shipped many things overseas. They've all made it safely. You just have to package right and smudge a little on the description of contents.
    Same here.

I also do everything through the USPS website, so when it goes to the Post Office, the box is labeled and ready to go. Basically just drop it off, no questions asked. The only time I get questioned, is when I actually have to pay for postage and present the customs forms.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

When I bought a small lot of Llewelyn Stardust for Men and put most of it up for sale at cost plus shipping and a $5 add-on here on Basenotes I ended up shipping 6 bottles overseas. There was some additional work in readying and shipping but after the fact, not a problem.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sorry to hear this. Speaking at someone who is at the receiving end of these international parcels I have to say I've received many vials and decant sprays and the occasional perfume bottle, all glass, all intact, none leaking and none gone astray (though I accept I may have been plain lucky, touch wood). I do not ask sellers to declare their packages as gifts or otherwise lie on customs forms, but some of the more entertaining descriptions I've seen recently include "souvenir" and "collectible" - my last purchase was boldly declared as "glass perfume bottle" - everything but the juice!