Code of Conduct

Default Polo (1978) ~ Add it to the rotation? Does Polo deserve a spot in a small collection?

Is the original Polo worthy of a spot in a small collection of fragrances?

Is Polo the most clasic early 1980's fragrance? Was it popular? Is there a better choice to represent 1980-1985 for a popular fragrance?

Should I spend $50 on a 2 ounce bottle, $70 on a 4 ounce bottle, or should I save the money for another fragrance?

Default Polo (1978) ~ Add it to the rotation? Does Polo deserve a spot in a small collection?

Is Polo the most clasic early 1980's fragrance? Was it popular? Is there a better choice to represent 1980-1985 for a popular fragrance?

Should I spend $50 on a 2 ounce bottle, $70 on a 4 ounce bottle, or should I save the money for another fragrance?

Default Re: Polo (1978) ~ Add it to the rotation? Does Polo deserve a spot in a small collection?

Just my opinion - No.

Default Re: Polo (1978) ~ Add it to the rotation? Does Polo deserve a spot in a small collection?

It's a classic and a good one to add to your collection if you like frags from the 70's/80's. It is not as good as it was in it's day due to reformulation and it has gained a bad rep through the years due to people over applying it.

I would also look into Fahrenheit as that has faired better over the years.

It's all accorning to your tastes. I'd get Terre d'Hermes EDT if I were you (if you don't already have it). It's a more modern selection. Burberry London also might fit your tastes if you like Polo. Tom Ford Italian Cypress is excellent but outrageously expensive.

Have you put your nose on any of it?

If you like it, buy it.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

If your goal had been to gather a large collection with "coverage" of many different genres of scents, then I could agree with including Polo in it. But as your collection is small, you should only get it (or any other scent, for that matter) if you really, really like it, and can see yourself using it frequently.

I wouldn't add any Polo to my wardrobe...

IMO no unless you really like it and you know you'll be wearing it (in which case you wouldnt be asking). But I wouldn't do it just to feel my collection is complete.

Where to begin.....Yes it is a classic, one of the ones that started this whole thing we all love so much. Yes it should be in most mens collections over 30+ in age. Now the bad part, new formula isn't near as good as original. That being said new Polo still smells way better than most of the new fresh/aqua/teenie scents that are flooding the market. Check ebay for a better buy on a bottle than the prices you mentioned. Or for that matter if you like more "old school" style scents try Safari by Ralph Lauren, very nice, very mature, and less worn than Polo, although I have met alot of young people who have never smelled Polo, so it may be unique when worn in certain circles.

A better, cleaner powerhouse/masculine scent from that era would be VanCleef & Arpels pour homme.
    But Polo original (green) is pretty good too. I have a current formulation of this that seems to have a somewhat different scent and lacks the longevity of the old stuff, but maybe I need to test it some more.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

I remember this being popular when I was a wee lad. My dad had it at some point. I tried it, and remember cringing at the opening but liking the dry down. It definitely smells of the 80s, but it's been a while since I smelled it, so I can't be too specific.

For the price ranges you propose, I'd get something else. Looking at the scents released that year, Azzaro pour Homme would be another hugely popular one to consider- cheaper, too.
    Last edited by juanderer; 23rd January 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

it's a very good fragrance, if you can appreciate old school tastes and dont mind smelling like peoples dads

Quote Originally Posted by protector View Post
    If your goal had been to gather a large collection with "coverage" of many different genres of scents, then I could agree with including Polo in it. But as your collection is small, you should only get it (or any other scent, for that matter) if you really, really like it, and can see yourself using it frequently.
    Spot on. I used it (vintage) occasionally over the years, but would not make it part of a small
    portfolio.

Sound Scents

The vintage original Polo is an exceptionally great fragrance that should be in every man's wardrobe, large or small. Just make sure it is the vintage juice.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

No doubt!

CologneFan85

Yes. And add Polo Double Black to it also.

Overcome By Fumes

There is that little question of whether you would actually like to wear it. Having something classic "of an era" sitting on a shelf unused and unloved is not the proper fate of any self-respecting fragrance. I enjoyed it, still kinda do, but no longer wear it. Yes, I'm ancient. It was very popular in the 80's, so if you are trying to set up a fragrance "greatest hits" collection, it should probably be there. If you're not sure how much you love it, opt for the smaller bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

IMO there should be a spot in just about every male wardrobe and a lot of female wardrobes for Polo.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Since the modern version of Polo is a shadow of the original, I'd actually recommend Escencia Loewe instead. To me, it's so much more robust and nuanced at the same time.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post

Yes. Maybe. Yes. I don't think so. Yes, yes, no.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It's a nice preppy scent. Mind you it's difficult to wear due to its strong nature. With modest application, wearing it outdoors is a real treat.
    Top 3:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Diptyque Philosykos
    3. Burberry London
    4. Hermessence Ambre Narguilé
    5. Creed Green Irish Tweed

The original formula is probably in my Top 3 all time. Along with GIT and Kouros.

I'm generally going to agree with what most people here are saying. Get your nose round it and decide for yourself whether you like it enough to buy - it's on sale at so many outlets that it can't be hard to find somewhere to sniff it.

Personally, I don't like it enough to buy it - it's ok, but it doesn't grab me. But I definitely would not recommend a blind purchase, especially not for a "small" wardrobe. (But then, I have no idea what "small" means to you - my collection of 30-something fragrances is excessively large to some of my friends, but tiny compared to some I've seen here at basenotes )

If you were to record your actual wardrobe here, it would let others get some idea of what kind of things you like, and we would be able to help you more with questions like this.
    Alan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

If you can find the vintage Polo, then I would say go for it because it is much different than today's Polo. Otherwise, wait and add something else. I believe Jack Hunter mentioned Fahrenheit. I would recommend Fahrenheit Absolute as it's darker and more intriguing.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I quite like it, but wouldn't include it in my arsenal if I were trying to keep my collection small since I wouldn't use it enough. However, you should give it a sampling and see if it works for you.

I think you need at least one 1980s powerhouse in the rotation.

Other good choices with a similar Polo green vibe would be Giorgio for Men and Aramis Havana.

All three are deadly if overapplied.

It was what I wore while in the Navy back in '83. It reminds me of being skinny and awkward adn vibrant and alive.
    No, I'll pass. At this point it's a-been there done that feeling for me. Similar to others from that era, Jovan Musk, Jacomo de Jacomo, Z-14 and 1_12, Kouros, Jess Bell Skin Musk, Jovan Grass Oil.

I say: If you love it, hug it. l:artisan Fou d'Absinthe is the Polo of my here and now.

If Polo makes you feel good without trying to feel cool, then do buy.

- - - Updated - - -

Yatagan is more of a lumber jack with a mustache version of Polo from a similar era. Beaver mounting Pine Tree after peeing feel.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

IMO-No. Save your money for another fragrance.

It was what I wore while in the Navy back in '83. It reminds me of being skinny and awkward adn vibrant and alive.
    No, I'll pass. At this point it's a-been there done that feeling for me. Similar to others from that era, Jovan Musk, Jacomo de Jacomo, Z-14 and 1_12, Kouros, Jess Bell Skin Musk, Jovan Grass Oil.

I say: If you love it, hug it. l:artisan Fou d'Absinthe is the Polo of my here and now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yatagan is more of a lumber jack with a mustache version of Polo from a similar era. Beaver mounting Pine Tree after peeing feel.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I would say your money would be better spent on Modern Reserve. I have never had the opportunity to try the original formulation of Polo, but some have said that Modern Reserve is closer to the original. Ignoring that hearsay I think MR is a wonderful fragrance and it is getting harder to find. It used to be readily available at Macy's but now is not even listed in their system.
    If you've never tried it seek it out. Since the bottles are so similar I would bet that most department store counters actually have a tester of this tucked away somewhere and not realize it.
    At around $72 for a 4oz bottle I think it's a good buy as well.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

If you'r looking for quality scents from 70-80-ies, I would rather go for Chanel Antaeus and Cartier Santos. Much better scents imo.

In my opinion, yes, a well-made and comparatively affordable classic.

Original Polo...NO.
    Polo Modern reserve...YES.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I bought it after reading all the good reviews and did NOT like it at all. IMO, it smells dated and just so typical of that 'cologne guy's' cologne (not the LeMale cologne guy, the older cologne guy, like your uncle who wears too much cologne). But if that's what you're going for, then by all means....

However, you may want to sample it first. Should be easy enough to find a sample of.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Any one would love to have polo and polo modern reserve in their collection. Forget about weather it is a vintage or not. You would see people giving great compliments.

try it, if you like it just go for it!
    I burnt it after wearing it too long for a period of my life!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I have what I believe to be the current formulation, have given it a few tests, and I say forget it.
    Scent is different, not quite as good as it used to be, and longevity is just incredibly bad. I think they've really messed it up, from what it used to be.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I think the reformulation is better.

In the 80s, it had a more "menthol" vibe. Now, since the reformulation, it smells like burning wood. It's not just me that think that. The 80s version and today's reformulation are really two very different scents.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your serivce and God bless you!

I will give Fou d'Absinthe a try if I can find it.

The main reason I want to add polo to my collection is it's a part of history. I don't love the scent, but I don't hate it. It's very loud. Polo would have a purpouse in my collection, on days where I don't want to spray something I like, 1 spray of Polo to the chest would work all day. It would stop any body odor. lol. I think of original Polo like deodorant. Unlike fragrances I love and tend to spray 7-10 times that get used up quickly, I think a bottle of Polo could last a decade with only 1 spray used every other week.

I wish I could find the original version of this because I do not remember what it smelled like. All I get now is a lot of pine and woods. I think Polo would be so much better with a hint of sweetness, something to round out the harsh pine. But it does cover up BO so I guess that's its main purpose.

just ignore all the animosity towards Polo since its a product of a typical basenote snobbishness. In my opinion Polo "classic" has a place in any collection as one of the most remarkable fragrances of the past 25 years, just like Kouros and Fahrenheit. All 3 are titanic juices that will prevail, just like Chanel No 5.
    Polo Modern Reserve is also a fantastic fragrance, you should get both.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

If you have a few fragrances then the answer would probably be no.

If you refer to your fragrances as a "collection", then yes.

IMO Polo is the most legendary of all fragrances. No, it doesn't smell quite like I remembered it, but it is still quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by ralmeida View Post
    Since the modern version of Polo is a shadow of the original, I'd actually recommend Escencia Loewe instead. To me, it's so much more robust and nuanced at the same time.
    Agree. I've been doing more testing with a small bottle of the current formulation of Polo, and it really isn't the same. The scent is different, though not bad. What is bad is the longevity. Just dreadful compared to the old juice.
    Here is some more about Esencia Loewe: http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Loewe

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Have you put your nose on any of it?

If you like it, buy it.
    This is always the best advice.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Just done a side by side comparison of the recent formulation and a much older vintage.....the difference is marked. Do seek out the vintage if at all possible!

I wore Polo in High School in thr early 1980s. I recently purchased the new formulation in a gift set from Perfumania. It smells exactly as I remember durin my HS days. The longevity on me is easily 8 hours or more.

Concerning Modern Reserve, does anyone have a recommendation on where this can still be purchased?
    Last edited by Unadan; 4th May 2013 at 02:08 AM.

treeman5823

The answer? Yes.

I have the new green bottle but it disappoints me as it has lost all the bitter smokey herb tones of the old one which was the character and essence of the scent IMO.
    It has become weak and sweet, oh no!

So i would very much be interested to hear from anyone commenting the modern reserve.

Blog Entries

Bought a new bottle last month...I owned it in 1983. The top note is different but it quickly dries down to the same frag. I remember. All in all, It has great longevity, projection, and sillage. My wife loves it on me. Honestly It lasts and projects better than ANY $300 bottle of Creed. Quite impressive for $30 on EBAY!!!!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales